Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better?

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I don't do a whole bunch of riding. What I need, I buy from Cycle Gear. Not bad, does the job.

Many times while reading about all of your rides I envision myself going on these adventurous excursions.

My envy grows to such extent that plans ALMOST get made... often.

Sure, we get to go to the Pine Barrens, and I love that, but the trips you guys and gals get to go on are just amazing to me. We are located right near NYC, so there are no places to ride off-road at all. The Pine Barrens, being 2 hours away are the closest.
    You West Coasters have some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

Thank you all for your gear recommendations and incredible stories.

....One Day.....
    TWilight, troll and ZDR1 like this.

Forcefield has good hip protection. I've been using their armored shorts. Tough and flexible. Washable too. Made in England. Find it used on ebay or Advrider flea market.

I am leaning toward the FirstGear HT Overpants (thanks for the good report from TWilight) and FirstGear Jaunt 2 jacket. Any opinions or concerns on these? Still need to find new boots and gloves. I really ike the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots. Are they too much tour oriented or equally well suited for off road?
    TWilight likes this.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Wayne, for the "price"...that Jaunt 2 is about the best jacket you can buy. Go for it !
    ORDERED! And ordered Gaerne G-Adventure Boots as well. Many thanks for the mentoring Mike, and others. Can't find this help on any other forum.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

VintageGW's
    1 GL1800

Yep Doc, still says made in USA...with imported and domestic materials. Not sure how much that modifies the original claim.

I even sprung for the heat-troller, which is a serious jump in technology for me since the old Widder was rigged with an on off switch, and I would have to toggle back and forth to keep from alternately roasting or freezing.
    Last edited by Borneo; 09-26-2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I saw the question about the balance oiled boots too late. But I will answer it for further reference of others. No, they are not tour oriented, they are a full featured off road boot. They are similar to trials boots in relation to the sole. Very solid protection for the foot and shin, and mine at least are totally waterproof. They are a bit expensive but can be found less than retail if you shop around. It's a popular boot, I know Hoot, Montezuma, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Trip, all wear them as do I. The overriding feature of the balance oiled boots is their extreme comfort, you can literally wear them all day on the bike and then around town and to supper if you are not carrying extra foot gear and you will not be uncomfortable in the least.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I saw the question about the balance oiled boots too late. But I will answer it for further reference of others. No, they are not tour oriented, they are a full featured off road boot. They are similar to trials boots in relation to the sole. Very solid protection for the foot and shin, and mine at least are totally waterproof. They are a bit expensive but can be found less than retail if you shop around. It's a popular boot, I know Hoot, Montezuma, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Trip, all wear them as do I. The overriding feature of the balance oiled boots is their extreme comfort, you can literally wear them all day on the bike and then around town and to supper if you are not carrying extra foot gear and you will not be uncomfortable in the least.
    Thanks for the followup! I had a really hard time with the boots decision and bought a lesser version of the Gaerne line. If it does not look and feel and fit like the hundreds of reviews I read said it will, I will return it and add more precious coin to get the balance oiled boot. I have to admit the price tag was daunting. (Note, this statement from a guy that spent nearly $1,000 on farkles for the TW.)

VintageGW's
    1 GL1800

If you end up going with the Balance Oiled, check with Hoot, I think he said he got a very good price on them.

***Also note that there is a boot called the Gaerne Balance Pro Tech which initially appears identical, it is nowhere near the boot the Balance Oiled is. An easy way to tell is the Balance Oiled have (or at least did have) red on the top velcro tab and the Pro Tech do not.
    Last edited by Borneo; 09-26-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

To be sure........are these the ones your speaking of?

Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots - RevZilla

Couple things, are they super warm? Remember, I live in the jungle
    If the link are the boots.....there are a number of negative reviews on them not actually being waterproof, whats your experience?
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Those are the ones. They are not super warm, I wore them comfortably in Moab as did others. (Also in Big Bend and Old Mexico) Mine are totally waterproof after two years. Despite Doc's soggy boot comments, I just recently waded around in James Bay with them and they stayed dry. I also rode in rain for two days with no issues. I think Hoot found them quite a bit cheaper than Revzilla.

Jafrum has them for $270 and Motostorm for $226 but they are overseas so if you don't get the size right the first time shipping might suck.

Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots - Jafrum

Gaerne Balance Oiled Brown | MotoStorm [en]

Hoot might have got his from Motocard, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Borneo; 09-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links