Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better? - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better?

Holy necrobump Batman.

OldMan: Good gear is a lot cheaper than new bones/brains and the time off work needed to scoop everything back into place and wait for the glue to dry.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Sorry about my comment above. I think it was misconstrued. Maybe it was my envy of that fancy gear that made me comment to begin with. Nothing is farther from the truth that I don't care about safety. I'm the kind of guy who always wears ear and eye protection when using any sort of power tool. I have a pretty varied employment history through the years, where safety was drummed into me because of the inherent dangers of the jobs. I am a newby to the motorcycle world. A lot has changed in the 40 some years since I rode a little enduro bike sporting an open face bell helmet, a wrangler denim jacket, and a pair of leather boondockers. No doubt good gear, the best gear, the safest is what we all would prefer. But personally I can't budget the best of the best. Not $350 riding boots or a $350 helmet. No doubt those high dollar gear items have saved plenty of folks lives. And no doubt that some good riders have been killed wearing some very fancy gear. I'm just wanting to be as safe as I can within my budget constraints and will have to remember that if I wanted to be REALLY safe, I'd do all my traveling in my F 150.
    littletommy likes this.

Find a Cyclegear shop near you for cheaper good gear, not the fanciest, but it will work.

http://Cyclegear.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    Sorry about my comment above. I think it was misconstrued. Maybe it was my envy of that fancy gear that made me comment to begin with. Nothing is farther from the truth that I don't care about safety. I'm the kind of guy who always wears ear and eye protection when using any sort of power tool. I have a pretty varied employment history through the years, where safety was drummed into me because of the inherent dangers of the jobs. I am a newby to the motorcycle world. A lot has changed in the 40 some years since I rode a little enduro bike sporting an open face bell helmet, a wrangler denim jacket, and a pair of leather boondockers. No doubt good gear, the best gear, the safest is what we all would prefer. But personally I can't budget the best of the best. Not $350 riding boots or a $350 helmet. No doubt those high dollar gear items have saved plenty of folks lives. And no doubt that some good riders have been killed wearing some very fancy gear. I'm just wanting to be as safe as I can within my budget constraints and will have to remember that if I wanted to be REALLY safe, I'd do all my traveling in my F 150.
    Sthrnromr and ejfranz like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am interested in the Gaerne Balanced Oiled Boots. I know they provide better protection that a standard hiking boot/etc, but if I am doing off-road, is it enough?”

Thanks for using the site search function and researching your question, you can see this boots fan club.

The oiled boots really are amazing but are not mx boots. Most MX boots have your lower leg and foot encased in armor and some kind of ankle stability, very heavy and rigid. The oiled boots were designed for trials riders, so much lighter and flexible. It feels funny wearing my mx boots riding the tdub, very cramped.

I can’t answer “is it enough “ for you but I wear the oiled boots constantly now. I only off road my TDub and they are perfect for the low and slow but on a dirt bike that beautiful one piece leather gets shredded by the puckers. I wear them on the street and they are comfy hikers.It’s a boot you can ride and walk Yellowstone in comfortably, no more squeaking and clomping in the museums.

Haha. Yea @OldMan, expensive gear certainly isn't for everyone. I'm generally pretty cheap in life, but for boots/gear I don't mind spending $$. I've found with boots, if you spend more on the initial purchase, they'll more/less last forever. The Gaerne for example (thanks for the details @Willys714) are made with extremely thick leather, and the soles can be replaced ... so unless they get ripped apart, they'll service you for many a year to come, and you end up saving in the long run.

Also, I've already broken my leg getting hit by a car in the past on my SV650. Had I been wearing some higher boots with even a little shin protection, I likely wouldn't have had a problem. That, along with my wife, are why I'll have nicer gear that is more durable and lasts longer. At some point I'll be getting another bike too, so it won't just be for the TW alone ... not to mention going off-roading—at least for me since I am a newbie—means I'm bound to fall a bit. I already dropped the bike hillside down (in grass/dirt thankfully) and it landed on my legs a few weeks ago (the foot still hurts a bit).

Anywho, thanks guys! I still haven't officially made my decision as I am looking for a little more protection. There are so many to choose from. I really like the Rev'it Discovery Outdry boots, but they're even pricier! They do provided a lot of protection while still being great for hiking around in/etc. We'll see, I have some gift cards still from last Christmas
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponosred Links