Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better?

Time to replace the tired MSR riding gear. What do you use? What is better?

I have some very tired Malcom Smith Racing gear (enduro jacket, etc). I don't think the Klim is in the budget but FirstGear looks decent. Please share your riding gear brand/style and recommendation. I have a nearly permanent hip strawberry that I do not want to repeat. No more wranglers in lieu of riding pants! And, I think the list needs to include boot recommendations. I like the shorties because I can walk in them and the larger ones inhibit my walking skills.
    Don't be shy. Thanks for your views!
    Last edited by VintageGW; 09-24-2015 at 08:29 PM.

VintageGW's
    4 GL1000 Some of these are for sale....
    1 GL1800
    Gone to a good home - '04 TW200 - Mulita!

Klim gear $$$!!!???
    I hope it is unbelievably excellent considering the prices.
    Not a chance I will ever buy anything from them unfortunately.

For my budget (low) I am very happy with the Competition Accessories Slider Adventure gear.
    I have the pants:
    Sliders Adventure Kevlar Motorcycle Pants - Competition Accessories

I don't have the jacket but I would get one if I needed another jacket:
    Sliders Adventure Kevlar Motorcycle Jackets - Competition Accessories

I also have a pair of their Kevlar jeans (Soft but baggy) and a pair of their Kevlar Cargo pants (Love 'em!)
    Also waterproof insulated gloves and other stuff.

I have a few items from Cycle Gear and their Bilt Adventure gear gets reasonable reviews and their prices are great.
    Or as we tend to say "their stuff is cheap, and it doesn't cost much either"
    They also have an excellent no-question satisfaction guaranty.
    I don't think it is the same quality level as the Sliders gear though.

I also have nice First Gear armored with thermal liner over-pants and they are very nice too.
    I just loaned them to a friend for a ride yesterday in fact since he doesn't have any armored pants.

Boots? I have several different styles for riding different bikes and/or terrain.
    Low boots for commuting in good weather but waterproof high boots for dual sport on/off road riding and ATV boots for more challenging off road riding.
    There are many great boots but they are something you really need to be able to try on and walk around in.
    Go to the shops and check out what fits your feet and the styles you like, then go online and read reviews of each one before making your choice.
    VintageGW and admiral like this.
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

I really want some pants with knee hip and slide protection. Interested to hear what others use too. I am very happy with my Sidi Goretex adventure boots. They are protective water proof and very comfortable to walk in.
    001.JPG
    VintageGW likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Aerostich Darrien jacket and pants. Cannot say enough good things about Gaerne Balance Oiled boots.
    VintageGW, TWilight and Willys714 like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

One observation. Depending on what you do think carefully about jackets with waterproof liners. What that means is the entire shell can get soaked but the water will stop before it gets to you. They can become heavy and waterlogged. If you are traveling and camp where the temperature drops below freezing at night you can have a frozen jacket in the morning. Jackets with waterproof outer shells avoid this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

These all look like good suggestions for those that live in the Arctic What about for those of use who live in the jungle? (south east)
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I wear a Rev'it sand 2 jacket/pant set and have for the last few years. Overall i am very happy with it. It has zip in thermal and rain liners and everything works well. My only beef with the liners is the thermal on the jacket could provide better coverage over the chest, it has sort of an open spot in the center where the zipper is. I have worn it down to below freezing and been comfortable everywhere but that one little strip( a good base layer pretty much fixes it). It vents well enough that i have been fine into the high 90's. They also sell a cool liner for this jacket which i do not own, i do want one but its never been on the priority list. Like i said overall i'm very happy with it, I have worn both pieces a bunch both on the street and in the woods and durability has not been an issue. Price wise they are a little more expensive than say first gear or joe rocket but nowhere near as costly as a klim.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TWROG View Post
    These all look like good suggestions for those that live in the Arctic What about for those of use who live in the jungle? (south east)
    True. I was basically thinking adventure travel. Regardless of climate that is what I would take, too warm in some places if you aren't moving well for sure, not warm enough in others (fixed with an electric jacket liner). For a short ride off road I wear Klim Mojave pants (in the boot), same boots, and a mx jersey. Depending I might add a Speed and Strength mesh jacket or even a non mesh leather jacket.
    VintageGW likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Well Doc, I'm heading off to buy a new Gerbing jacket liner right now. Nice day so I'll take the new KLR...it's about 100 miles round trip. The one I looked at over there did say made in USA. I don't have many choices locally and time is short. I tested my bazillion year old Widder vest last night...nada. So, time to spend coin, and spend it on what's available.
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I too rock MSR, I have the axis riding gear, helmet, jacket and riding boots. I wasn't crazy about their MX boots so I recently bit the bullet and purchased Gaerne classic trials boots (totally amazing)! I found MSR to be a decent brand and I switch off between two pant and jersey sets I have. If it's too hot and I plan to hit the trails I'll sport my Answer chest protector in favor of the MSR jacket.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links