tw125 in us is there a way?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DonBenito

Thread: tw125 in us is there a way?

tw125 in us is there a way?

I have a tw200 and would like to have a tw 125 for the parkway is there any way to get one in the us and tagged?

Funny, usually we see posts from overseas members wishing they could get a 200 instead of a 125.

What is your reason for wanting a 125?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Yes - truthfully I can't see a reason.

The 200 does good on gas in the city. Out on major highways, at 50 or above, fuel mileage drops like a stone. Too much full-throttle operation there.

With the 125, there will just be that much more full-throttle; and it would eat away any of the savings from slow-city-traffic speeds.

It might be light. I cannot imagine how much lighter; maybe 20 pounds at most. That's not a really significant weight reduction.

Except for a child's bike or in nations that have low speed limits (Caribbean islands) or heavy taxes on engine displacement...it wouldn't make sense.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Funny, usually we see posts from overseas members wishing they could get a 200 instead of a 125.

What is your reason for wanting a 125?
    I like to ride the parkway witch has a top speed limit of 45 plus I've heard that the 125 will get 120 mpg the best I can get out of my 2015 tw200 is 91 that's running on 93 octane ethanol free and that was running 60 on interstate 220 on the parkway it gets about 81 mpg doing the 45 mph speed limit

I want a fuel miladge bike for short trips in the country yea the 200 is great I just want better mpg and the only other 125 motorcycle I know of available is the Honda groom witch I wouldn't be caught dead on that scooter

Quote Originally Posted by stevo86 View Post
    I like to ride the parkway witch has a top speed limit of 45 plus I've heard that the 125 will get 120 mpg the best I can get out of my 2015 tw200 is 91 that's running on 93 octane ethanol free and that was running 60 on interstate 220 on the parkway it gets about 81 mpg doing the 45 mph speed limit
    The only street machine I've heard of that will get that kind of mileage is the 50-cc Honda Ruckus. The claim is that the Honda PC125 will get close to 100; but that's with a streamlined fairing and fuel injection.

I don't believe a carbed engine is going to get that kind of mileage. Since the TW200 starts breathing hard at about 50, I expect that the 125 is running close to wide-open at 45. There goes your mileage.

It may well be that Yamaha doesn't import it for a reason - such as, a small customer base and the likelihood that the few who would buy would be dissatisfied. Kawasaki used to market a 125 Eliminator cruiser - it's gone.

If you want one that badly you may have to look into how to import a grey-market used one.

The Grom is a fun little motorcycle. I bought one because it reminded me of the Honda Mini-trails I saw people on in the 70's and loved but could never have afforded. On a 60 mile flat road that I do new bike break-ins on; factory shift points at 30 to 35 mph I got 156 miles per gallon. At 45 mph I got 114 miles per gallon. I consider it a 50 mph capable bike on flat roads with no major headwind. Your disdain for it is too bad because it seems perfect for what you want. Granted there are concerns about size. A super tall and/or heavy person might look funny on it. Put a 45 tooth rear on your T-dub and get an extra 5 mpg and much smoother ride. -J-

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    The Grom is a fun little motorcycle. I bought one because it reminded me of the Honda Mini-trails I saw people on in the 70's and loved but could never have afforded. On a 60 mile flat road that I do new bike break-ins on; factory shift points at 30 to 35 mph I got 156 miles per gallon. At 45 mph I got 114 miles per gallon. I consider it a 50 mph capable bike on flat roads with no major headwind. Your disdain for it is too bad because it seems perfect for what you want. Granted there are concerns about size. A super tall and/or heavy person might look funny on it. Put a 45 tooth rear on your T-dub and get an extra 5 mpg and much smoother ride. -J-
    That's a good point. I forgot about the Grom for a moment.

It's perfect for what the OP states. It seems ten-tenths engineered for good fuel economy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo86 View Post
    and the only other 125 motorcycle I know of available is the Honda groom witch I wouldn't be caught dead on that scooter
    But the Grom is boss as fuck. I'd rock it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    The only street machine I've heard of that will get that kind of mileage is the 50-cc Honda Ruckus. The claim is that the Honda PC125 will get close to 100; but that's with a streamlined fairing and fuel injection.

I don't believe a carbed engine is going to get that kind of mileage. Since the TW200 starts breathing hard at about 50, I expect that the 125 is running close to wide-open at 45. There goes your mileage.

It may well be that Yamaha doesn't import it for a reason - such as, a small customer base and the likelihood that the few who would buy would be dissatisfied. Kawasaki used to market a 125 Eliminator cruiser - it's gone.

If you want one that badly you may have to look into how to import a grey-market used one.
    Thanks the only reason I don't like the Honda is the scooter tires thanks for the reply and I do plan on the 45 rear sprocket I have a friend that has one and he loves it he is 6 foot 4 inches tall and weighs about 280 and he gets 120 mpg that's the Honda not the tw

Sponosred Links