Buying advice - Bike Q's
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Buying advice - Bike Q's

Buying advice - Bike Q's

I am lurker who has wanted a TW for years but now that I can afford it I could not find one. Long story short there are not many here in Dubai, Yamaha dealership won't order a new one in so every week I search the 2nd hand sites for one.

This one is from 2000 and has 20,000km on it and is an import from Japan. What do you guys think? He says there has been no mods but I thought the round light might be a mod?

https://sharjah.dubizzle.com/motors/...x0ZT0%3D&pos=0

Cheers for any insight

Just another note, the guy selling it seems to have 10+ bikes for sale so he may be able to import me a different TW from Japan, is there any preference to TW's from a certain year for faults/specs?

1987 – 2000 had a drum front brake – and a power output of 35 + watts – manual adjust cam chain tensioner

2001 to present – front disc brake – power output of 65 watts – automatic cam chain tensioner – CV carb

There are no significant advantages to either the front drum or front disc – taking the wheel off might be a bit easier, but that’s about it. Power output ditto, end result is pretty much the same. Automatic cam chain tensioner is an advantage, but adjusting it manually is simple enough. CV carb is smaller and a bit fiddly, but not the end of the world.

Avoid the ’87, it is well known for CDI issues, and is wired up “weirdly”

Mid 2000 (2004 upwards) had a tendency to develop base gasket leaks, but that was sorted out over the subsequent years.

On average, expect a top end rebuild at about 30+k (miles) on all years – although some report much higher mileage before repairs – depends how well looked after the bike is.

Don’t believe a word someone who is selling the bike tells you – unless it’s a “known” forum member.

The only other change in 2001 was the lack of a kickstart on American models, although Japanese and some other markets continued to include them post 2001. The kickstart can be added as a retro-fit if required.

My opinion on the one you’re looking at is that it’s “OK” – but high miles – depends how desperate you are …….
    Last edited by Purple; 10-06-2015 at 07:14 AM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your feedback.

This guy is not a forum member, just some guy making a buck in an industrial estate by the looks of it. If I could source a new bike I would buy it, sadly Yamaha don't want to know here in Dubai, they keep trying to get me to buy the road legal 450 scrambler type bike. I have always wanted a tw 200 since I was a kid so I will wait until the right one comes along.
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

sorry double post and don't know how to delete it.

Anyway the same guy says he can import a tw225 for me, is there that much difference to the TW200?
    Last edited by JudeOman; 10-06-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Double post

I would suggest you go to this site and advertise for one. http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/

In addition you should ask the members about importing a new one from, for instance, the UK. It appears to me that many expats do that successfully.

Also you should join here and chat up the guys participating in this discussion. The discussion is dated, but my guess is some of them are still active there. Motorcycle Import
    JudeOman and Fred like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Super cheers pal
    Borneo likes this.

Id get the 225 if you can get imported
    JudeOman likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

It says "duel" purpose, and you never know when that might come in handy. Maybe you could start up the Dubai moto jousting team...

But for serious though- wait to get what you want. Once you get anxious, the world seems to wave many overpriced items in your general direction, and as soon as you buy one a nice and cheap one will show up the next week. So just wait until you find one you want.
    JudeOman likes this.

Spelling in their second language isn't a strong point alright, like dueler tyres.

If I did go ahead with the tw225 would the accessories from the TW modifications on this forum fit the TW225?

Also, would I be an impostor on this forum as it is not a Tw200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links