new tw guy with some fuel questions
Close

Ok so I have a 2006 TW. I have read differing things about ethanol and smaller motors. All and I mean all of the gas stations surrounding me have 10% ethanol. Is this ok for the tw? Sorry really new to the tw thing like I said I "found" it in my girlfriends garage with just about no miles on it and I intend to use the hell out of this thing. ;-)

I don't think that should be a problem, most of the fuel problems with ethanol are with the fuel lines, yours is about 4", don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutty View Post
    Ok so I have a 2006 TW. I have read differing things about ethanol and smaller motors. All and I mean all of the gas stations surrounding me have 10% ethanol. Is this ok for the tw? Sorry really new to the tw thing like I said I "found" it in my girlfriends garage with just about no miles on it and I intend to use the hell out of this thing. ;-)

There are some treatments out there for ethanol mix: http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

My dealer recommended this.

The general feeling is that if you can get non-ethanol gas it's worth any extra cost, but it won't really hurt the bike unless you leave it in there for a month or more of not riding, that's what the treatments are about......Querty will probably chime in with all the technical info!

You're gonna love this bike!!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Disclaimer:

If you set yourself or anyone else afire or burn down your house, motorcycle, or anything else, it's your ass, not mine. You assume all risks playing with combustibles.

TWs will run on E10. You'll just lose 15-25% fuel efficiency and power output. TWs in North America are jetted lean unless you ride at high altitudes. E10 will tend to make lean mixture issues more noticeable. Probably a good idea to rejet the carb for the E10. Problem is, samples of fuel sold as E10 we have tested in the lab have run between 1.5% and 20% ethanol. It is difficult to jet for a fuel that has inconsistent properties. You will lose 15-20% power output with E10. I've made back-to-back radar-timed top speed runs on Tdub as part of the work we are doing at the university. True E10 = 67mph. Same gasoline with the ethanol removed = 71mph. Same gasoline with the ethanol replaced by toluene = 73mph. We've done the experiment with several brands of fuel and always get about the same result. Not that the carb was jetted slightly rich to protect the engine from overheating on top speed runs. The jetting used should have favored the E10. Peak jetting for gasoline with toluene (130 main) yields a top speed of 75mph. Typical around town riding yields 75-80mpg, on E0, jetted slightly rich to protect against overheating should running E10 be necessary. Typical around town riding yields 60-65mpg, on E10, jetted close to perfect for E10. When jetted about perfect for E0 made from E10 with the ethanol replaced by a like volume of toluene, typical around town riding yields 85-90mpg, about the same mpg as E0 purchased from the only station in town that sells it.

It is easy to remove ethanol from E10. Mix 2% (2.5 ounces per gallon of E10) distilled water into your E10, stir well, let sit. The water and ethanol will sink to the bottom. A petcock in the lowest spot in your container will allow draining the water and ethanol. Repeat. When you drain the gasoline from the separation tank, drain it through a leather chamois (not treated for auto finish shining) pre-soaked in straight gasoline to filter out the minute amount of suspended ethanol/water that hasn't separated. Add the slop atop the chamois to the ethanol/water already removed. The slop makes an excellent weed killer. Heating the slop to 150*F will evaporate the ethanol, then the water can safely be dumped down the drain. If you have E15, use 3 ounces of distilled water--the process is the same.

The remaining gasoline will be about 3 (R+M)/2 octane lower than the E10 you started with, so to have 87 (R+M)/2 octane gasoline, start with at least 90 (R+M)/2 octane E10. Alternatively, you can start with 87 octane E10, then mix in 10% toluene by volume (13 ounces per gallon) to restore the octane of the gasoline. If you begin with E15, use 18 ounce per gallon of toluene--the process is the same.

The amount of toluene used will affect performance. Try backing off a % or 2 at a time until power drops off or signs of insufficent octane appear, then increase a % or 2 at a time until power drops off, and run the mix that provides the best power. This little fuel testing program will provide the octane rating your engine likes best.

I just fired mine up last weekend after sitting since last october and it started right up and runs fine with no additives. gasahol is a fact of life now days, if you're worried about it then drain the carb if you plan on letting it sit for a month or longer.
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

1993 Shadow 1100 with Ural sidecar

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

Stabil Marine is also a great product (good for any vehicle in storage) to prevent damage due to ethanol and fuel degradation over longer storage periods. It's probably very similar to what is recommended above.
    1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula Hardtop M6 - not stock

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2007 TW200 - O-ring chain, Moose Racing hand guards and tail rack, Tourmaster tailbag, Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield, Walmart seat cushin

Hidden Content

Stabil Marine improves the shelf life of gasohol but does not eliminate the problem. I've seen problems with it preventing phase separation after 4 months in environemnts with wide ranging tempertures and high humidity, which is 4-5 times longer than 3-4 weeks E10 normally lasts. I'd still drain the carb if I planned to use it. Keep in mind that in areas with stabil temperatures and low humidity (like an air conditioned garage, some E10 will last for months without additives. It depends on the miscibility agents used to blend the fuel and the water content of the ethanol.

Wow thanks guys. Now that my head hurts lol. It wont sit for more than a few days from now until the cold comes back. I was more concerned about causing damage to internal parts and such. Thanks so much for the help!

Only thing I have to add is this. In the Florida summer heat I have to run mid-grade as my bike pings with e-10 regular,and yes I've rejetted the carb.

Sponosred Links