Do you guys think this is a good deal?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

I have been thinking about getting a tdub and I saw this one.

2009 tw200 ONLY 930 miles
    TWilight likes this.

rbm
    Not a bad deal, I'd bet you could get it for $3k or a little less.
    TWilight likes this.

Go for it - see what he says on price - (i'd take rbm's recommendations on what to pay) .........
    TWilight likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think YES! I would want to either see the dealer service records or gain trust with the owner that he has changed the oil at least once since new and kept the chain adjusted. Look inside the gas tank for rust and check the bike over for dents in the tank and in the skid plate and other tell tail signs of any abuse like the handle bars being tweaked or signs of it being left outdoors. The engine should start quick with the button and the choke pulled out and then idle once it is warmed up some. The engine should not have any rat a tat noise from the top end. If it passes these simple inspections then you should be good to go. The rack is a $200 option and a very nice one. Make very sure there is absolutely no issues with getting the title and transfer to you or No Deal!

Welcome to our addiction if all goes well.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

That's not a ripoff - but you can do better.

I bought my 2014 TW with a couple hundred miles on it for less.

That's seven years old - IIRC from prices and NADA, price should be around 2500 or lower.

Actually, the best rule of thumb on CrackedList is, starting with a legitimate offering (as opposed to a possible stolen or a crack-smoker item) take twenty percent off it. So that puts you at $2600...which is probably in the ballpark.

You could feel him out beforehand, find out if he has an attitude (if he does, just leave it; he won't haggle and he'll wig out on a lowball) and then go see him with money in the pocket. Or where you can get it quickly - best to not have it on your person when meeting a stranger. Make it plain that if the papers are in line, it's cash on the table, RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

It's seductive. He may rather lick has wounds and get SOMETHING than have that thing age, unused, in his garage for years more.

Money talks and bullshit walks the old sayin. Make a cash offer a lot lower and see if he bites. Def seems like low miles but all in all is 6yrs old.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Sorry to disagree, but there were brand new 13s and 14s at my local dealer LAST YEAR that were going for 34-3600.
    Warranty, that new bike smell... You cant go wrong.

That kind of money for an old bike? Um, NO.

I buy bikes all the time. Literally, all the time.
    This is not some hard to find rare ride.
    These bikes are ubiquitous. And I don't care what options it has on it.
    When you are buying, Anything that deviates from rock stock is a detraction.
    Hoot Gibson, sponge and fishguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    That's not a ripoff - but you can do better.

I bought my 2014 TW with a couple hundred miles on it for less.

That's seven years old - IIRC from prices and NADA, price should be around 2500 or lower.

Actually, the best rule of thumb on CrackedList is, starting with a legitimate offering (as opposed to a possible stolen or a crack-smoker item) take twenty percent off it. So that puts you at $2600...which is probably in the ballpark.

You could feel him out beforehand, find out if he has an attitude (if he does, just leave it; he won't haggle and he'll wig out on a lowball) and then go see him with money in the pocket. Or where you can get it quickly - best to not have it on your person when meeting a stranger. Make it plain that if the papers are in line, it's cash on the table, RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

It's seductive. He may rather lick has wounds and get SOMETHING than have that thing age, unused, in his garage for years more.
    First, Just Passing Through from where? Filling in your member profile so we know what part of the country you are in might help. Second, the model year of a TW between 2001 and today is rather meaningless and the NADA prices are even less meaningless. Any 2001 or newer TW with under 1,000 miles could be valued the same because they are the same and the overall condition and options is what does matter. Where you are also plays a big part in the price and Condition, condition, condition and low miles is what determines the price as far as many of us are concerned. Then it all comes down to the color combination and weather you love it or not. As an example, I love the blue colors of both the 2006 and the 2014 model years. Given a choice between a 2006 and a 2014 that are both in identical condition with the same miles I would not give much more for the 2014 than I would for the 2006. With the exact same miles on the clock the only real consideration I would look at is the age of the tires and pay accordingly, maybe just $200 difference.

Keep in mind I am in NY so other areas may be very different. A brand new TW here will easily be well over $4,000 out the door with taxes and title and closer to $4,500+. I know I have heard of a lot of those Phantom out the door deals for between $3500-$3800 out the door but I never have seen them here. The subject bike here is basically listed at $3,000 plus the $200 cycle rack or $3200 out the door. Sure, $2500-$2800 would be a much better deal but then you have to decide if you really want a nice TW now or some time later. Good things do come to those who wait but I would rather be riding.

GaryL
    TW-Brian, Purple and admiral like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but there were brand new 13s and 14s at my local dealer LAST YEAR that were going for 34-3600.
    Warranty, that new bike smell... You cant go wrong.

That kind of money for an old bike? Um, NO.

I buy bikes all the time. Literally, all the time.
    This is not some hard to find rare ride.
    These bikes are ubiquitous. And I don't care what options it has on it.
    When you are buying, Anything that deviates from rock stock is a detraction.
    Have you ever really known a guy who actually bought a TW left over for $3400-$3600 OUT THE DOOR? I will admit I don't go anywhere close to NYC but I am only 70 miles NW of you. I searched far and wide up here and over in PA and NJ and the best I could find were all just Come on prices and once all the BS fees and taxes were added in the TW was always over $4,000+ out the door. I actually sent a buddy over to a PA dealer who listed the price at $3699 OTD and he came back without a TW because he didn't bring enough money. Where we are and where we are willing to travel to get a deal is important but going in to NY City from here is a nightmare for a country boy like me and the freaking tolls have to be added into any price.

GaryL

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I agree.. tax is 8 percent. Tags probably another 75. Prep... who knows.
    I stand corrected.
    And yes, even I hate going into NYC.!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links