Helmets: What's on your head?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Helmets: What's on your head?

Helmets: What's on your head?

By far the most important modification I've made for my TW riding enjoyment has been upgrading helmets. With my open face helmet the sound was terrifying at speed (over 60 mph) and shoulder checks on the highway felt potentially life threatening. I had been avoiding highway speed as much as possible and felt relief that I had survived unavoidable stretches of highway when I dared to venture on one. Recently, I bought a full face, modular helmet, a Shoei Neotec. It's honestly like putting my head in a Lexus. Quiet and stable. I no longer harbor personal reservations regarding the touring potential of the TW. I'm not coveting a bigger bike (for reasons of noise and vibration--maybe still a bit for more power to ride with friends with even more capable road-riding bikes). I now actually enjoy and seek out the "bigger roads" with my TW. This greatly expands my cruising range for day trips. I'm not necessarily suggesting we need to go out and spend for a helmet the price of a complete set of CycleRacks with bags (though I'm glad I did). But, I encourage us to give some thought regarding how helmet choice might be influencing opinion of the TW and subsequent road-riding habits and to include your choice of helmet under TW-related equipment, like the DMOs, Jimbos, and Shinkos we're always talking about. I'd also like to hear about helmet preferences of those riding predominantly off road. I'd suspect that, ideally, a rider might benefit from a couple of helmets, depending on the day's adventure. One size might not fit all!
    Elvesus and Peterb like this.

3/4 for me until it starts getting cold then I reluctantly break out the full face.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Half helmet, year round. Perhaps not the best choice, but I settled in on a half helmet decades ago, because I like to hear what is around me at all times... and now if I try any other helmet, i feel like i can't see or hear well enough...
    grewen likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Certain helmets work on certain bikes for me.

This weekend I went to ride with six Kawasaki ZRXs, and a Ducati MultiStrada. And what was I riding? Not a TW. No, Mr. Brainsuphisbutt decided to ride a PC800 up through the twisties with these seasoned riders.

I wore a Harley Davidson three quarter helmet with a clear bubble shield. Usually works great with my BMW R1100R that has no windscreen. Was noisy as hell with the Rifle shield on my 94 Pacific Coast.

BTW, The Pacific Coast kept up with the ZRXs till the straights. I never thought I could lean that bike that low. Almost was able to touch my knee tot he ground!

Why did I not take a more suitable bike to the twisties? Lazy. The R1100R has a dead battery.
    I have a few helmets.

Modular HJC Bluetooth
    Modular Bilt Bluetooth
    Full face Adventure Bilt helmet.
    The Harley 3/4
    DOT half helmet
    Plastic bucket (for buzzing around the neighborhood on the CT70s or 90s.

I like buying the Bilt helmets from Cycle Gear. You can go into the store and put a helmet on and walk around for an hour with it on if you want. Plus, you can return it if it is noisy or for ANY reason.
    They have me as a customer forever.
    Hoot Gibson and TWilight like this.

Generic polycarbonate full face - cos the only bike I have is a TW and it's bleedin' cold over here most of the time. Besides, fibreglass just transfers more impact to your skull. The only thing I miss over the old AGV fibreglass helmets is that I can't smoke a ciggy while going down the road. Used to be able to light one up at 130 mph on the Guzzi G5.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Hair !
    A quick word of advice you youngsters - If you've had a recent haircut, this will affect the fit of a helmet - always go shopping for one when your about halfway done as far as "hair care" goes .....

And aflotalot - just because a helmet makes you "feel" safer - doesn't mean you are - "false sense of security" - let's be careful out there ..........
    TWilight likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Montezuma and I have been switching and trading Helmets ever since we got back from Moab....then I was using one of his old Snow Mobile Helmets in Puke Green and Black Stripes...now with my melon bigger than his, we have switched out a couple....and I plan on using the Optical Mellow Yellow on the back roads and streets, and the Blue and White Bilt when riding off road locations, such as Moab:

Helmets 014.JPG
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Half helmet, year round. Perhaps not the best choice, but I settled in on a half helmet decades ago, because I like to hear what is around me at all times... and now if I try any other helmet, i feel like i can't see or hear well enough...
    The reason I cant do a half or no helmet (besides the law) I get ear aches in less than 10 minuets of riding. Its not the noise, its the actual air that goes into my ear.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I wear a full face MXer, the Fox V2 with tinted 100% MX googles. Fairly lightweight, fiberglass construction, breathes well, SNELL certified, quiet at speed, fits me perfectly and is bright and obnoxiously colored which hopefully gets me noticed on the road (that's the idea anyways). I absolutely love it and get tons of compliments on it.
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

Quote Originally Posted by TWROG View Post
    The reason I cant do a half or no helmet (besides the law) I get ear aches in less than 10 minuets of riding. Its not the noise, its the actual air that goes into my ear.
    Ear plugs?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Shoei MX for the dirt because I don't want to bust up my face when (not if) I wipe out. Bell half helmet for putting around; has zip off bottom section which helps minimize wind noise over 40mph.
    What, me worry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links