Revmatching question.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Revmatching question.

Revmatching question.

Hey everyone I'm a new rider and have already passed my MSF course and got my license. Everything has been working good so far except my downshifts. I currently just do the "standard" way which is simply clutch in > click down > clutch out slowly. No matter how slow I do it or how much brakes I apply, I always get that lurch or jerky feeling.

So I'm interested in learning how to revmatch. I watched many videos and I think I understand the process "clutch in> clickdown + blip > clutch out. My question is, is this safe to practice on my own? will I get into an accident learning this? I'll be in an empty parking lot of course.

Thanks for your time and take care!

rbm
    Practice away! It's the only way you'll get a feel for it. We all have (had) to learn sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by Tdubluv View Post
    Hey everyone I'm a new rider and have already passed my MSF course and got my license. Everything has been working good so far except my downshifts. I currently just do the "standard" way which is simply clutch in > click down > clutch out slowly. No matter how slow I do it or how much brakes I apply, I always get that lurch or jerky feeling.

So I'm interested in learning how to revmatch. I watched many videos and I think I understand the process "clutch in> clickdown + blip > clutch out. My question is, is this safe to practice on my own? will I get into an accident learning this? I'll be in an empty parking lot of course.

Bro, this is the easiest thing to learn, no sweat. Here's what you do, you pull the clutch, and at "almost" the same time, blip the throttle a little, while the same time, moving the gearshift, and in it goes...(you'll feel it on your toe, the moment it matches your engine speed and goes in gear) , then clutch out and full speed ahead. Just takes a little practice and then you will know...
    Last edited by littletommy; 10-12-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I watched many videos and I think I understand the process "clutch in> clickdown + blip > clutch out. My question is, is this safe to practice on my own? will I get into an accident learning this? I'll be in an empty parking lot of course.

Hi Tdubluv, you must learn this and it is very easy. Once you get the hang of it you won't even think about it. Personally I can't really not do it because it will chip the back tire if I don't or get you in big trouble on gravel and dirt surfaces.
    My way (process) happens real fast. Like 'clutch'n blip>clickdown clutch out'. It's like a couple of lightning quick jabs. Boomboom, you'll get it just don't overthink it.

best regards, MAC
    Last edited by Turtle Chaser; 10-12-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    Tdubluv and BRug14468 like this.
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Thank you for the responses!

Couple more questions before I go out and practice this.

How fast do I let the clutch out? is it like the same speed you let the clutch out when upshifting? (I see some guys do it extremely fast)
    Also will this revmatching technique be appropriate and safe for highway speeds (60 mph and up) and also for light dirt trails?

Thanks again!!

Yep, just like you do it regularly. It will soon become easy. Don't think about it, just let your memory muscles do it. It really takes place in the blink of an eye once you have it down. Well...maybe two.
    Last edited by littletommy; 10-12-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Thank you for the responses!

Couple more questions before I go out and practice this.

How fast do I let the clutch out? is it like the same speed you let the clutch out when upshifting? (I see some guys do it extremely fast)
    Also will this revmatching technique be appropriate and safe for highway speeds (60 mph and up) and also for light dirt trails?

Thanks again!!
    It will work in any gear but ONLY if you allow the bike to enter a speed that the lower gear can reasonably support. Example, you can't downshift from 60 immediately into 4th gear without first slowing down to around 45 or so. Same from fourth to third, you will need to slow to about 35 before you start to release the clutch. Example speeds are based off factory gearing of course.

Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

How much "blip" or throttle do I give? is it pretty much a guessing game? our Tdub's don't have a tach. Also will the amount of throttle I give, will it be the same for every downshift/gear?

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Ahhhhh....Tommy...the guy is having problems when he DOWNSHIFTS. Not upshifting. So why tell him to let the clutch out and full speed ahead ?

Geez
    ahhh...he's supposed to know that part was joking. (I wink'd at him)?
    Tdubluv and TWilight like this.

How much "blip" or throttle do I give? is it pretty much a guessing game? our Tdub's don't have a tach. Also will the amount of throttle I give, will it be the same for every downshift/gear?
    This depends on what speed you are currently traveling. If you are dropping into fourth and are going 48 mph you will have to rev it pretty high while slipping the clutch out.

Tom
    Tdubluv likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links