New Owner Checking In
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New Owner Checking In

New Owner Checking In

Greetings from Hinckley, OH.

This past weekend we drove 2 hours to buy an '03 T-dub with 900 miles on it for my wife to learn on (she picked it out for the low mileage/hours). I am pretty sure the bike has not had any maintenance done, including the break-in service, but it looks OK.

Peeking through the sparkplug hole, the cylinder wall appears to have scratches around the cylinder bore (not up and down), but I'm not sure what I was seeing. They seemed very rough compared to what I remember a honed cylinder looks like. I saw no bad smoke when I test rode it, though, and it seems to have plenty of torque so we bought it.

A buddy of mine can check/adjust the valve clearance for me. The plug looks new (maybe running a tad lean). I've got some fuel system cleaner in it. Will be changing the oil and filter. Brakes are new. Battery is good (no kick starter on this bike). Clutch is solid. Side panels are missing (any source for those? nothing on ebay, otherwise $49 ea.), but the tool kit is complete. Tires look like new. Lights all work. Chain just has a little surface rust. Sprockets look OK.

I keep wondering why it only has 900 miles - like, it wasn't rideable for a long time - but I rode it at 50mph and it seemed just fine.
    Anyone have any pointers on items to check in a case like this?

Much appreciated,
    -J

Hinckley....Home of the Buzzards

Welcome Fellow Buckeye! Wait for a few minutes, and I am sure all the Gear Headz will be checking in....
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Jay in Ohio View Post
    Greetings from Hinckley, OH.

This past weekend we drove 2 hours to buy an '03 T-dub with 900 miles on it for my wife to learn on (she picked it out for the low mileage/hours). I am pretty sure the bike has not had any maintenance done, including the break-in service, but it looks OK.

Peeking through the sparkplug hole, the cylinder wall appears to have scratches around the cylinder bore (not up and down), but I'm not sure what I was seeing. They seemed very rough compared to what I remember a honed cylinder looks like. I saw no bad smoke when I test rode it, though, and it seems to have plenty of torque so we bought it.

A buddy of mine can check/adjust the valve clearance for me. The plug looks new (maybe running a tad lean). I've got some fuel system cleaner in it. Will be changing the oil and filter. Brakes are new. Battery is good (no kick starter on this bike). Clutch is solid. Side panels are missing (any source for those? nothing on ebay, otherwise $49 ea.), but the tool kit is complete. Tires look like new. Lights all work. Chain just has a little surface rust. Sprockets look OK.

I keep wondering why it only has 900 miles - like, it wasn't rideable for a long time - but I rode it at 50mph and it seemed just fine.
    Anyone have any pointers on items to check in a case like this?

Much appreciated,
    -J
    Welcome to the forum!!

I wouldn't worry about the cylinder marks at this mileage. They are cross hatch marks from honing. Your bike still has a way to go to be broken in. You may want to replace the tires however. They harden and lose the stickiness they should have. The older they get, the worse the problem, it can be dangerous to use them on the street or at speed. Also, the front stock tire isn't that great. A Shinko 241 or 244 works very well. Why not a lot of miles? People buy them for camping or as a bike to put on their motorhome and lots of them don't ever get much use. Hope this helps!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

welcome, when you change the oil filter, make SURE they give you the right filter, it will have 4 holes in the end. also after the oil change, it is a really good idea to open the (proof of oil flow to the head) screw. this will prove the oil is flowing through the filter ok
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Welcome to the cruise ......

You'll need this link sooner or later - so let's get it over with - https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html

You could sell that tool kit and make most of your money back (bit of a rarity around here ) ...............
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Congrats on the bike fellow Ohioian, I just bought one myself last month (State 8 Media), it was a 2015 that was returned to the dealer with only 78 miles on it. In less than a months time I've put 900 miles on the Dub, there greats bikes and I'm sure you/the wife will enjoy it!

Welcome. I have had good luck buying parts from Babbit Yamaha. I have ordered several things so far with out a problem. They have great schematics to help you find the right part.

TexGX
    TexGX
    1996 TW200

Thanks everyone. I think the steering head is a tad tight as well, but just the fuel system cleaner has woke this thing up a bit. I am resisting the urge to abuse it like it were my own.
    -J

Gratz, sounds like your wife got a good bike, now you need 1 too
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Don't worry about it, as a former BSA/Triumph mechanic, nothing will happen unless the bike starts puking oil from the carb or exhaust--you'll have plenty of warning.
    Enjoy
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links