Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By buellzebub
  • 1 Post By buellzebub
  • 1 Post By buellzebub
  • 1 Post By buellzebub

Thread: New Owner/Member in UK

New Owner/Member in UK

Hi all,
    Thought I'd introduce myself, my name's Mick and I live in a small village called Breedon on the Hill near the Leicestershire/Derbyshire border. I'm 52 and have been riding ever since I was 16. In that time I've had a variety of bikes including Suzuki GS550E, Kawasaki GPZ750, Z650, Z750, Moto Martin Z1000, Z1300, Suzuki 1200 Bandit, Buell X1, Yamaha FZ1000 Fazer, BMW R1150GS; and now a little TW125 rebuild project. It's a 2003/4 with 30k miles on it.
    I bought the TW from a work colleague, cheaply, with a flat battery, but we managed to bump start it. It ran and got me home but was smoking quite badly and obviously burning oil. I've since got the engine out of the frame and removed the cylinder head and barrel. The camshaft was worn below the serviceable limit so I've ordered a new one. The barrel and piston look to be in fairly good condition but I might get it rebored while it's apart, I'll also fit new valve stem seals and a new cam chain. I noticed there was some evidence of metal particles in the oil, is there something in particular internally which is prone to wear or failure?
    I'm now going to head over to the tuning and performance thread as I'd like some info on converting it to a 200
    Mick

Last edited by buellzebub; 10-21-2015 at 07:21 AM.
    TWilight, dette and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Hi Mick! Welcome to the forum! Nice looking bike!

Hey, if you need parts or outstanding advice on that little bike, we have a member over on your side of the pond who is very helpful. A great guy named Sebastian. Here is his website if you want to check it out. His forum name is macbig2k1 TW-Parts.com - Performance and spare parts for TW125, TW200 and TW225
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks littletommy, it's quite tidy for its age but the motor is tired, hence the rebuild. Thank you for the link, I'll have a look 👍
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It looks great Mick!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    It looks great Mick!!
    You can't see the shot muffler or clouds of blue smoke, lol
    littletommy likes this.

That bike looks great for 30,000 miles.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Firstly - Welcome to the board

30k is about right for the top end on these little buggers, I can smell the blue smoke from here (Anglesey). Other than what you have planned you should be fine, but keep an eye on the chain and sprockets, they have a nasty habit of taking a chunk out of the crankcase when they let go.

Clutch should also be about right for letting go — but wait and see — if it works, just continue to ride it. Keep an eye on your tire age, you have a bit of a miss match going on there — road front — trail rear. When the time comes to swap one or the other out it might be worth going for a matching pair (road or trail). I tried what you have on there — it didn’t work for me (handling).

Nice little bike for its age — probably could have done with a few more oil changes in its life, but the 125’s tend to be more neglected.

Should you find the bike is a “little underpowered” but you like the style, take a look on Ebay for TW200 — there’s usually a couple around. Take your time, get to know the bike you have first, and be fussy. If you want to go the whole hog, I can recommend an importer who can source a TW225 (if you’re prepared to lose an arm and a leg).

Meanwhile, well done for taking the time and effort to bring the one you’ve got back to life ……….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks purple, yes the tyres are definitely miss matched, and had only 10psi in them when I picked it up! That certainly explained the heavy handling and it's desire to only go straight on! I'm just in the garage with it now. Removed a seized screw from the front master cylinder cap and stripped and cleaned the caliper.
    Although I only it rode about 15 miles home, it seems like this little bike has got under my skin already
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
    it's desire to only go straight on!
    Yup – that’ll be the one – you end up with a bike “with a poker up its arse” …….

Manual suggests 18 psi front and rear for up to a 200lb rider – over 200lb and you can up that to 22psi.

Many of “us” go lower while riding trail – but even on the road, you have to factor in the amount of bounce in those tires as compensating for the lack of suspension travel in the bike – otherwise you end up with a “ball buster” of a ride.

I’m 180lbs – 18psi is a bit much – going to try 16psi next. The tires are big enough to hold their profile at the speed of a TW.

Right now (your) – 10psi is what’s making it heavy – and the miss match is taking you in a straight line when you expect it to turn ……..
    Last edited by Purple; 10-21-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links