Increasing the capability of the OEM tire
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Increasing the capability of the OEM tire

Increasing the capability of the OEM tire

Has anyone tried to increase the traction factor of the OEM rear tire by cutting some of the lugs off of the tire? I would think that cutting every third or every other lug off of the tire would increase the capabilities of the tire. Anybody tried it? I have a rear tire or two for the test. Maybe I could get one mounted on an extra rim for Moab.
    Mel
    TWilight and BRug14468 like this.

I would think that would work great. I looked at cutting it to match the early style tire as it looks like they just bridged the tread on the new tire to cut down on tire whine and possibly increase tire life...

As far as Moab....Traction is not a problem! Unless you find some deep sand and then I dont think it really matters...

Mel,
    Increasing the Void to Lug proportion should certainly make an improvement;it's unfortunate that the lugs are aren't taller in height . But, consider reversing the tire so that the square face of the lugs are then engaging the terra firma instead of those lugs with the angular faces . You can also greatly reduce your inflation pressure to improve things-I'm using 3psi with no tire/rim slippage whatsoever. My TW is ridden off-road only.
    TWilight and jtomelliott49 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Has anyone tried to increase the traction factor of the OEM rear tire by cutting some of the lugs off of the tire? ...
    Mel
    I would think that would decrease the traction, not increase it. An ATV tire is the solution to more traction, but I've never felt the OEM rear was lacking in traction. I did, however, replace it when it was only a bit over half worn. For me, that was at about 8,000 miles.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

First let me say I have no clue; but thinking about it: on the street you want as much tread across that inch of tire in contact with the road. Maybe with siping to add those extra griping edges.

Off-road; removing some lugs you would lose some of the contact patch, but might allow more depth of the lug to grab onto the far side of something you are riding over. Instead of slipping on a tree root, the root falls within the gap and the lug gets more of a grab on it. Interesting.
    grewen and jtomelliott49 like this.

Admiral and others have cut parts of lugs off, but I don't remember anyone taking lugs all the way off...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Unless you're on really gnarly trails, the stock tire works pretty good. Airing it down to 3-5psi makes a tremendous difference in off road grip over a 20psi street pressure. You can still drive it home at 5psi, you'll just have a little lower top speed and handling will be pretty heavy. I'd have to get in real sloppy stuff, or steep washed out rock-and-root hills before I found it spinning and sliding around. Really was pretty impressive for a 50/50 dual sport tire. The limiting factor is it's relatively short lugs. Even if you cut every third one out to give some more void area, the lug is just too short to really "grab" anything, like rock edges or tree roots. It might help the tire self-clear in mud a little, but to me it would be a lot more effort than it's worth.

More void area generally means better off road traction, since each lug carries more the the bike's weight and thus sinks into softer terrain for more bite. On pavement this obviously isn't an issue, why street tires really only have voids to deal with channeling water away from the tread. Larger voids between lugs also allows the tire to self-clean better- mud will fling out on it's own, rather than get trapped between lugs and "clog" the tire up.

Even running the chunky Duro, I lean it as hard over as I want on the street. The bike isn't powerful or heavy enough to overwhelm it, despite the increased void area.
    Last edited by RaZed1; 10-29-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Landser View Post
    Mel,
    Increasing the Void to Lug proportion should certainly make an improvement;it's unfortunate that the lugs are aren't taller in height . But, consider reversing the tire so that the square face of the lugs are then engaging the terra firma instead of those lugs with the angular faces . You can also greatly reduce your inflation pressure to improve things-I'm using 3psi with no tire/rim slippage whatsoever. My TW is ridden off-road only.
    I recently did a hare scramble and dropped my pressures to around 15 psi thinking it would help me out, which I imagine it did but there was no noticeable improvement in traction in the real greasy stuff. I would love to now how this lug modification could be beneficial but more to the point, I think dropping pressures down way low would be a great alternative to making drastic changes to what is at the end of the day, a dual sport tire. I can't imagine it could ever really grip like a knobby but it has to be a pretty big improvement.

Here is old post of Ronnydog's sipped tire. He might have feedback on any performance gains. ronstire_zps500e97e2.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

And here is some conservative trimming to individual tread blocks by old dual ride back in 2013. He removes only ~1/8'..
    WP_000080.jpgWP_000085.jpgWP_000099.jpg
    jtomelliott49 and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links