1977 Honda CJ360-T/now a Bobber/still own

1952 Triumph flat track 500cc/still own

1971 T100c 500cc chopper/still own

1992 883 Sportster

1965 Honda S90

1964 305 SuperHawk

1975 Yamaha MX 175

1974 Kawasaki 125

Damn, and I was complaining because it was 59 degrees today. I guess I won't complain anymore. It looks like mud season there. Ride safely, stay warm, and count on the fact that warm weather is coming soon. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I just got mine out this weekend for the first time as well. Thank God it's getting to be spring!
    1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula Hardtop M6 - not stock

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2007 TW200 - O-ring chain, Moose Racing hand guards and tail rack, Tourmaster tailbag, Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield, Walmart seat cushin

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

59 is T-shirt weather.The snow is off the roads and the mud has set in so I just had to bring her out and run roads some.Changed over my front and rear sprockets yesterday. I went from the standard 14/50 to a 15/44.Loses some power on the hills but I am not windin the piss out of her on the highway doin 60 now
    Bob

hotanvil-forge

Hidden Content

2006 Suzuki S40//still own

1994 TW200,D2moto pegs/Jimbo cafe shield/rear cycle rack's rack/still own

1981 Kawasaki 305 CSRstill own/will be a Bobber

1992 883 Sportster

1965 Honda S90

1964 305 SuperHawk

1975 Yamaha MX 175

1974 Kawasaki 125

Did my first commute of the year yesterday. It's only about 15 miles each way but the 40's seem awful cold when you're going 50mph! Too nasty today for a repeat performance. The wind has been pretty bad too. I need an extra helping of patience if anybody has some to spare!

I am really looking forward to May.

Byte

speaking of cold weather... I just bought a new TW on march 15th and just HAD to ride it to work on march 16th, I got 2 miles and dumped it on a corner that had some refreeze on it! it had a whopping 3.7 miles on it! luckily only a couple scratches on the TW, it was sitting like a tripod on the left hand grip, foot peg and tail light/rack with the back tire still going around! I was not so fortunate, slight shoulder separation, sore wrist and broken face shield on helmet! The good news is a week later we managed to string a few warm days together to pretty much rid the roads of any more ice. So far I've used it to commute to work 5 days. but highs in the 30's are back for a while again! you really have to ride when you can in this state..... but you sure enjoy it when it's possible..... And now speaking of commuting and new bikes........... does anyone think that riding it 8 miles at between 30 and 45 mph with only a few stop signs OK to do while breaking it in?? or is that pushing the rpms on a new engine???? would really appreciate any feedback from guys that know engines. thanks much ..... I love this forum! Mark from Minn.

Your commute as described won't hurt the bike at all. Even better if there are hills. The key to a good break-in on a bike with TW-type technology is limiting RPM and lots of speeding up and slowing doen. On the other hand, avoid lugging the engine, too. Allow the rpm to build up pretty good before shifting. 45mph in 5th is barely into the powerband. The on;y problem I see is the oil not getting up to temp long enough to vaporize any condensation that may accumulate. As long as you take a longer ride once a week or so, that will solve that problem.

Break-in cruising speeds in gears:

gear min max

1 0 13

2 11 21

3 18 29

4 23 37

5 30 47

These speeds will be between 3000 and 6000 rpm. Don't be afraid of the throttle, either. Anything under WFO will be okay since you already have 50 miles or so. Just don't hold the thrott;e at any setting more than a minute. The constantly changing parameters of speed, rpm, throttle position, and engine load prevent any hotspots from building up to critical levels, keep the temperatures of the engine parts constantly changing due to thermodynamic expansion and contraction, thus providing the quickest and smoothest possible break-in.

Might think about changing the oil about now, too. Make sure to use a non-synthetic motorcycle-specific oil that meets JASO MA standards, This time of year in Minnesota calls for 10W-40. You can clean the stock screen and the mesh oil filter. 95% of the gunk that will ever be in the sump gets there in the first 50 miles.

Once you get 500 or so miles on the bike let the engine wind up to redline, but not at full throttle in higher gears unless on a long downhill. The purpose of this exercise is to smooth the microscopis ring groove that has already started to form on the cylinder wall.

Maximum speed in each gear should be:

1 21

2 34

3 46

4 58

5 74

Choose the appropriate gear for the speed limit where you ride. Do not hold these speeds at max rpm. Simply let the bike rev at a third to half throttle or so, then shift up and do it ahain. If you are fortunate to have a long, steep downhill, gradually accelerate to max rpm, then back off the throttls and compression brake to half that speed, then slowly accelerate again. From cruising at half max, accelerating to max should take 15 seconds or more, and slowing down to half max should take the same amount of time. If you simply go out and wind 1st gear to the max as fast as it will get there, you'll chip the top edge of the top compression ring, which will cost power, though the bike will still run "perfectly", it simply won't have as much power. If you don't wear the ring groove out of the cylinder early, the first time you miss a shift you'll chip the top compression ring. This is the reason that those cars owned by old folks who only drove to the grocery on Tuesday and church on Sunday that people think are such awesome buys end up performing poorly and burning oil. Junior inherits Garmma's car, and first thing he does is take it out on the highwy to see what it will do. He ends up bashing the top ring against the ring groove and destroys it. Wearing the ring groove gently and early means the top ring slides up the groove instead of bashing into it, resulting in no danage, more power, cooler running, and a longer lasting engine.

5th gear 74. I better have a real good tailwind and a steep downhill grade.I have only seen a max of about 68 and that was down hill.I have yet to see what the new gear ratio will do however.
    Bob

hotanvil-forge

Hidden Content

2006 Suzuki S40//still own

1994 TW200,D2moto pegs/Jimbo cafe shield/rear cycle rack's rack/still own

1981 Kawasaki 305 CSRstill own/will be a Bobber

1992 883 Sportster

1965 Honda S90

1964 305 SuperHawk

1975 Yamaha MX 175

1974 Kawasaki 125

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    Whoa! Some serious snow there, unfortunately my TW is still buried in the Conex Van, will be a couple of weeks before the snow is gone up here.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper View Post
    5th gear 74. I better have a real good tailwind and a steep downhill grade.I have only seen a max of about 68 and that was down hill.I have yet to see what the new gear ratio will do however.

9500rpm with 14/50 sprockets and the stock tire is about 74mph. Under most conditions, the engine won't pull 9500rpm in 5th. Most TWs on level pavement with no wind will top out about 65mph if fed real gasoline. Knock off 5-7mph with E10. Add a mph or three for tucked in. Slightly taller sprockets might gain a mph or two by moving the meat of the powerband a little higher on the speedo, maybe. Chances of improvement increase with careful tuning of the carb. There are a host of other variables that also affect top speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links