New TW Owner w/ Chain & Sprocket Question
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: New TW Owner w/ Chain & Sprocket Question

New TW Owner w/ Chain & Sprocket Question

Hey Guys,

I've been reading the forum for a while and finally got my new bike. I know, I know, not another a newb with chain thread Sorry !

I just purchased leftover new 2013 model TW200 with 2 Miles on it from the dealer. At 75 miles I did the first oil change and got a lot of metal shavings off the filter. Also installed my cyclerack.
    I plan to change the oil again at 300 miles, then 600.

Right now I have 150 miles on her and the chain is already very loose.

After reading the advice here in the forum regarding chains, I ordered a D.I.D Pro-Street X-Ring 428VX 122 Link chain. It should be delivered by next week.

I wanted to have longevity and minimal maintenance, less adjusting, lubing etc. I plan to keep the stock 14/50 ratio.

My question is, " Should I go ahead and swap out the chains, and put my new X-Ring Chain on the stock sprockets now ? "

A few of my buddies that ride motorcycles, say to just run the stock setup until it is used up/worn, then replace chain & sprockets. BUT, I don't want to be adjusting the chain all the time & I want longevity. Im also not ready to pull the side cover, etc off my new bike.

Are aftermarket sprockets better quality than the OEM one that it comes with ? Are the stock sprockets junk like the stock chain ? The stock sprockets don't look like they have any serious wear yet (only 150 miles on them)

Please give me some advise, because I've been wanting to ride it soo bad, but have been waiting until my new chain arrives as to not wear out the sprockets.

Thanks in advance,

MidnightRider
    Last edited by MidnightRider; 10-26-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Some will say change it now.

With regular maintenance my stock chain lasted 8,000 miles plus.

At least wait until you have completed the engine run-in.

Adjusting the chain is easier than changing it.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Welcome to the forum!!

Go ahead and change the chain now. You won't hurt the sprockets. You also don't have to take the cover off, just take off the master link on the old one and attach the new one and pull the old one off, feeding the new one on and around the front sprocket!! Where are you from? You may have members/riders in your area.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum MidnightRider!

Here's my advice. If your chain is very loose, I would snug it up so you don't run the risk of the chain coming off the sprockets which could be dangerous and can also cause a lot of damage. Then go ride your bike!

The stock sprockets are very good quality and you will not damage them by riding your bike for another week until your new chain gets in, or another week, or another week, etc. The important thing is - you have a new bike, go ride it and have some fun. Maybe change your chain at your next oil change, or maybe the one after that. Your sprockets will be fine.

I am just glad you didn't ask what oil you should use .

Brian

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

I would change the chain now and be done with it.

We bought my wife a new bike with a chain with only 300 miles on it.. I went ahead and ordered a new X-ring chain and put it on.. She now has 3,000 miles on it without a SINGLE ADJUSTMENT.. Well worth the $$$$$$.. I know they are great chains.. I have a trump with 21,000 miles with just two very small adjustments.. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by old mad max View Post
    We bought my wife a new bike with a chain with only 300 miles on it.. I went ahead and ordered a new X-ring chain and put it on.. She now has 3,000 miles on it without a SINGLE ADJUSTMENT.. Well worth the $$$$$$.. I know they are great chains.. I have a trump with 21,000 miles with just two very small adjustments.. OMM.
    I also went over 3,000 miles before my 1st adjustment with an O-ring chain. When your new chain comes in, change it.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I also went over 3,000 miles before my 1st adjustment with an O-ring chain. When your new chain comes in, change it.
    This. I also have more than 3k miles on my X ring without an adjustment. I tried to snug it up one notch on the snails last week and it was too tight.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

I've been thinking of upgrading my chain. I've got about 2.1k miles on my bike. But adjusting it is no big deal to me takes like 5 minutes. May just wait til factory setup is worn out.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

i would change it now if it was me. If not you will be adjusting it every 100 miles miles and you might get 4,000-5,000 miles out of it. My oring has about 8,000 miles on it and ive adjusted once maybe twice in that time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links