New member: Going to look at a T-dub to purchase. Have questions
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: New member: Going to look at a T-dub to purchase. Have questions

New member: Going to look at a T-dub to purchase. Have questions

Hey guys. I have always wanted one of these bikes. I got my endorsement years ago using one of these and always look back on riding it as a fond memory even though it was only in a parking lot. Anyway I am going to look at a 2009 with around 5k miles. The price is in the $2k range. Does that seem like a decent deal if it is in fair-better than average condition? Anything specific I should be looking for to break the deal?
    The seller has not had it long (6 months, 100 miles) and says the previous owner had the luggage rack installed as well as a different sprocket for better top speeds I assume.
    I live 10 miles out into the country and all the roads around me are 55 mph. Is it realistic to think I will be able to ride this thing around and into town without severely pissing people off due to the top speed limitation? I really would like to have one of these to tool around the property on, but also want to be able to run to the post office or general store on a Saturday morning if necessary. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any insight.
    PlacerLode and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post
    Hey guys. I have always wanted one of these bikes. I got my endorsement years ago using one of these and always look back on riding it as a fond memory even though it was only in a parking lot. Anyway I am going to look at a 2009 with around 5k miles. The price is in the $2k range. Does that seem like a decent deal if it is in fair-better than average condition? Anything specific I should be looking for to break the deal?
    The seller has not had it long (6 months, 100 miles) and says the previous owner had the luggage rack installed as well as a different sprocket for better top speeds I assume.
    I live 10 miles out into the country and all the roads around me are 55 mph. Is it realistic to think I will be able to ride this thing around and into town without severely pissing people off due to the top speed limitation? I really would like to have one of these to tool around the property on, but also want to be able to run to the post office or general store on a Saturday morning if necessary. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any insight.
    If you could get it for $2000 I think that would be a good deal. It really just depends on what shape it is in. I traverse miles and miles of 55 mph zones with no issues whatsoever. I should ask what is the terrain like where you live? Long steep hills or relatively flat? I have a lot of hills around me and have changed from a factory 14/50 to 15/50. I will be changing again to either 15/48 or 15/49.

Tom
    PlacerLode likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Thanks for the reply. Well access to my house is flat from one direction and from the other direction is a 1250 ft gain and decent. Of the hill side, one direction of the climb is very windy (treacherously windy) with a top speed of about 40mph and the other side is long and steep climb with an estimated speed of about 60mph, so I would probably avoid that way because even a 4 cylinder can struggle getting up it (3rd pulling hard).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum G. Where you from?

Have you ever owned a motorcycle before? There are a lot of things I would check, but mostly if it starts easily and doesn't crap blue smoke those are the main things. you should be able to tell by the general condition if it's been cared for or not.

What sprocket was was changed? Font or rear? How many teeth?

One thing to watch is if you change the front sprocket to a larger one (15 tooth) check the chain tension. A loose chain with a 15 front can grind the bottom cross member of the frame. Lay down on your side on the right side of the bike, head towards the rear. You see how close the chain is to the frame. Run your hand across the top part of that part of the frame. Even if it's well cared for and everything else seems in order, this little change can be overlooked by most.

Take it for a ride and let it warm up and see how it pulls. It's only 200 cc so don't expect neck snapping, grip loosing acceleration, but it should climb up to 60 MPH fairly smartly.
    PlacerLode likes this.

I have had a few bikes over the years. I currently have an HD 883 and a Monster 620 although I don't ride them all that much anymore. I want something I can have fun with and not always have to worry about crazy caged text messagers. It's dangerous in the city and highway anymore.

Thanks for the tips for the inspection. I am going to see this bike tomorrow afternoon and plan on giving it a good look then, hopefully a ride too if the seller is cool with it.

I'm not sure about the sprocket. The seller does not seem very mechanical and did not seem to know a whole lot about it. He is a computer guy that bought it to use as a toy but never got to much into it. I figured it would be easier for me to look at it than ask him tons of questions over the phone.

welcome to the forum! I'm not sure where you are located but if you look you can find almost any year TW with less than 1000 miles for $2500 (or less). I always look for low milers (under 1000 miles) or no milers (under 100 miles) because there really isn't anything people can do to harm them with those kind of miles. it may take a few weeks or even a month or more of watching CL etc but well worth it when you score your gem from a time machine set the cash aside (in hand not in the bank) and be ready to jump in your truck and go buy the TW on a moments notice day or night, don't wait and don't delay on a good deal

yah know the old saying "time waits for no one" well t's really "TW deals wait for no one" lol

The only issues I deal with are;

1) dead battery - just assume it will need a battery I get oem's for $23 and these days lithium iron /ion are available well under $100 and well worth it

2) dirty carb - I just expect this and allow for aprx $50 in refresh parts (needle seat, pilot jet, bowl gasket) it's a very easy carb to learn carb maintenance and function principals with lots of help here on the forum and once you know how to refresh you'll never be stranded!

3) cosmetic issues if it has been dropped or dinged ie replace a turn signal or mirror etc all pretty simple

You have your mission this message will self destruct in 3 seconds
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 11-04-2015 at 02:00 AM.
    littletommy, admiral and sponge like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

rbm
    Hello and welcome! What they said^^.
    littletommy likes this.

Went and saw/rode the bike today. Ran well. Got right up to 65mph with ease. Tires are probably original and a bit worn. It has some scratches as expected. Brake fluid reservoir has a stripped screw and missing paint. Front of engine has some paint missing. How long is a clutch good for before needing replacement typically?

Bike has 4800 miles. He said bottom dollar would be $1800. Tags are good for another year.

I watch these regularly in my area and anything around 1000 miles or less typically gets listed for $3200-3600. So do you think I should bite on this one? I am not desperate to get one but this deal seems solid to me.

It appears the bike has not been cleaned for many many miles and I would expect it to clean up nice after giving it an inspection.

I have pictures...
    unnamed.jpgunnamed1.jpgunnamed4.jpgunnamed2.jpgunnamed3.jpg
    Last edited by G-force; 11-04-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    SickPuppy76 and PlacerLode like this.

You can see in that last picture there appears to be some piece of plastic or something being used as a chain to frame protector.

Looks like stock swing arm slider, no worries. Bike appears well worth $1800 and likely very suitable for stated uses. On country roads I can usually slow, pull over to shoulder and let anyone in a hurry pass safely. Usually get a friendly wave in return.
    PlacerLode likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links