New to TW interest with questions
Close

I don't know anything about TW's but have a few questions. Have TW's always been electric start? If not when did they become electric? Do the engines over heat and get tight in slow conditions? Are these bike lethargic or do they have some snap?

I believe 2000 and older is kick and electric.

I live in Arizona and will be riding year round..i haven't had it out in the summer yet but its such a small engine i doubt it will affect anything.

They are snappy because they are geared low..but don't expect the power to rip the bars out of your hands. They are a trail bike, not a motocross bike. Forget going fast over whoops..it doesn't work very well!
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

I am not looking for arm ripping power and won't be jumping it. I would be leisurly trail riding. At one time I had a Suzuki DR250 that was a kick start. When I rode it slowly it would get very hot and the engine tightened to point where if I stalled it I had a heck of a time starting it. I swore if I ever bought another one it would have electric start and liquid cooled. That is why I am wondering if they get hot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Where are you from? Alot of that hard starting was probably in the carb. The tw will be similar to your 250, but feel more stable and a lot more forgiving on the trails. The great thing about the tw is 1st gear is geared so low you can nearly walk it up the hill if you have to.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

My 1987 model is first year they were sold in US-electric and kick start. Unless the starter system is not functioning, they all have electric start. One of the best things about the TW is pushing that start button IMO.

I am in Upper Michigan

I live in Illinois, and one time last summer, it was in the 90's, and I was stuck in some really heavy traffic. It was much more stop than go. It took me about 30-minutes to go less than one half of a mile. I could feel the heat radiating off of the engine. It made me a little nervous, so I would shut the engine off and walk the bike until there was an open enough gap so I could ride 100-feet or so, and the bike would start right up. Now that I look back, I don't think it would have overheated necessarily, but I also had a water cooled cruiser that didn't get as hot as the TW did in that traffic that day. That's the only time that has ever happened, and I've been stuck in traffic with that bike many times after that in the heat of summer. Mind you, I was still in the break-in process, so that might have had something to do with the excess heat.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

The only thing that keeps a liquid-cooled bike cool when there is no apparent wind is the fan. No reason you can't add a fan to a TW. It wouldn't take much fan to make a huge difference.

Most of my riding is done during the Summer and frequently involves long slow climbs. I have done some simple oil temperature checks using a permanently installed gauge. On a stock bike, on a hot day (90 +) under 'adverse' conditions, it is my opinion (experience) that oil temps at 300+ would not be uncommon. Even under those conditions, my bike has always ran and started fine.

Given that I am a 'gadget' kind of guy, I have installed an oil cooler and a ducted axial fan. Oil cooler drops temps, and the fan drops them further. The fan pushes about 82 cfm and ran me about $70. The fan and home-made ducting seemed to be the easier of the two projects. Here is a YouTube link. Gerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikj2h...el_video_title

Take care my Friend.........

I don't think you will find a better bike for leisurely trail riding. I am in northern Michigan and since it almost never gets passed 87 or 88 degree's in my neck of the woods overheating has never crossed my mind. I spend most of my time riding trails at 25 mph and under with an occasional ride around the property on country roads. The perfect bike for this kind of riding IMHO.

Sponosred Links