Seat Mod Opinions
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My seat is killing me. Anything past about two hours riding and I get really uncomfortable.

I've read several posts and done some research on how to address it. First, I've taken one of garden kneelers, the foam rubber kind, and cut it down and slipped it under my Stearns seat cover. That helped, but isn't quite what I'm looking for.

The other things I've seen on this site are the Airhawk cusion, or have the seat redone to add extra padding. In that case, I saw a specific post that suggested 2" of 60 lb. foam and 1" of 30 lb. foam.

After looking at the price for the cushion, and talking to an upholstery shop, I think I can do either for about $125 give or take $20.

So, I'm looking for opinions on which way to go. The portablility of an Airhawk, or the full seat padding on reupholstery.

If you've done either/or, please let me know how it has worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OakCliffThumper View Post
    My seat is killing me. Anything past about two hours riding and I get really uncomfortable.

I've read several posts and done some research on how to address it. First, I've taken one of garden kneelers, the foam rubber kind, and cut it down and slipped it under my Stearns seat cover. That helped, but isn't quite what I'm looking for.

The other things I've seen on this site are the Airhawk cusion, or have the seat redone to add extra padding. In that case, I saw a specific post that suggested 2" of 60 lb. foam and 1" of 30 lb. foam.

After looking at the price for the cushion, and talking to an upholstery shop, I think I can do either for about $125 give or take $20.

So, I'm looking for opinions on which way to go. The portablility of an Airhawk, or the full seat padding on reupholstery.

I ordered a brand new seat from Yamaha and as soon as I get it I'm sending it off to Rick Mayer cycle to have a custom seat made. He has the seat for over a month so if you don't send him spare seat your TW will be disabled for quite a while.

Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by OakCliffThumper View Post

I have a Rick Mayer Seat. I sent mine to him in '07 (in late October) and he turned it in two weeks. I like the seat. With shipping it was cheaper than the upholstery shop quote you got. But I caught him during a slow period and he gave me a deal as well and that was almost 4 years ago.

Picture of seat below and I have spent as many as 10 hours a day in the seat sometimes longer and for several weeks on end. Some people do not like the wider seat design butt…………the choice is yours…….….

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Call me a hard ass if you want, but I found slipping a bit of the thin closed cell pad (two layers ) under the Wally world pad made a big difference in helping me not slide forward toward the low part of the seat. That made a big diff in how I rode (stretched out a bit more) and improved my comfort. I'm not sure who posted this treatment within the last 5 weeks, but they earned my thanks because it was an obvious, easy, and effective improvement. Additional point, once you get to that campsite, lunch site, or rest stop, pull that thin pad out from under the Wally world pad and save your seat from the rocks. Its a great place to effectively store a pad for off bike sitting, and a way to change the comfort of the bike while on board. Thanks, whoever you were. I tried to search for the suggestion but did not succeed. Cheers, Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I did over 1000 miles in 21 hours on the stock seat. I don't understand the problem.

I've looked at the Rick Mayer site, and it appears a seat done there will cost over $400, which is well over what I'd like to spend.

Am I misreading the site?

If the shape of the stock seat is not to far off for you do like one of my customer did. Order a raw gel pad from Dennis Kirks street book and insert it under the cover.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    For those riders that are vertically challenged and may be tiptoeing the bike at rest, remember that while those pads will probably add comfort, they will also raise the seat height 1/2-1" if put over the stock seat and under the Stearns pad.

In my opinion, it is always cost VS benefit. The TW is a "low-cost" bike. For those of us over 50, changes will likely be needed if we expect a pleasant 'long-term' experience. I found the stock seat uncomfortable, as have many others. Most have found relief with the Sterns (Walmart) seat pad. I paid some extra dollars ($110) and purchased a very nice "Airhawk" seat cushion. The product box say's I can bet my ass that it will be comfortable. I did, and it is.............. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Go ahead and laugh..i did the first time. But after the next day of riding we'll see whos laughing now. Its a 10 dollar bar stool cushion from wally mart..then i put the stearns cover over top of it so it looks a little better. And if your butt is still sore you can double up on the cushion

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links