New Owner of a TDub - rough riding
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just purchased my first TW200. It's an 02 all original with under 1800 miles. I ride an XR650L and bought this bike for my wife and kids to enjoy.

My first impression. Purrs like a kitten - smooth and wide powerband. And damn slow, like a mini bike (I had one as a kid). Rough riding, not sure if its the seat or suspension or maybe both. Anyway its not very comfortable riding on rough surfaces at moderate speeds (25-35mph).

Is the rough ride normal ? Has anything changed with newer models or are they all made the same, different foam or shock ? Any aftermarket mods that will help ?

Thanks

LoneriderAZ

Quote Originally Posted by LoneriderAZ View Post
    I just purchased my first TW200. It's an 02 all original with under 1800 miles. I ride an XR650L and bought this bike for my wife and kids to enjoy.

My first impression. Purrs like a kitten - smooth and wide powerband. And damn slow, like a mini bike (I had one as a kid). Rough riding, not sure if its the seat or suspension or maybe both. Anyway its not very comfortable riding on rough surfaces at moderate speeds (25-35mph).

Is the rough ride normal ? Has anything changed with newer models or are they all made the same, different foam or shock ? Any aftermarket mods that will help ?

Thanks

LoneriderAZ

I have been riding (and still have) a Honda CRF250X and my TW200 rides much smoother than the Honda. I had both an XR400 and XR600 that rode rougher than the TW as well. Perhaps the XR650L has a really soft suspension, I've never ridden one of those. The big tires on the TW are part of the suspension. Air them down to 12 or 14 lbs when you are off road and you'll find it more comfortable.

Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

The TW doesn't have much travel compared to other dualsport and trail bikes, and the bike is sold in other markets as an agricultural implement, so it is sprung rather stiffly in the rear. Load up about 325 pounds of rider and gear and the ride and handling are significantly better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Beck View Post
    I have been riding (and still have) a Honda CRF250X and my TW200 rides much smoother than the Honda. I had both an XR400 and XR600 that rode rougher than the TW as well. Perhaps the XR650L has a really soft suspension, I've never ridden one of those. The big tires on the TW are part of the suspension. Air them down to 12 or 14 lbs when you are off road and you'll find it more comfortable.

Chip

Chip,

Thanks for the reponse. I have the tire pressure set to what is shown on the decal (front fender). I think it's something around 18-22 psi. I will have to give it a try at the lower pressure. My only concern is the areas that we ride off-road are very rocky. Its the sharp pointed rocks that pose a problem for tube tires running at a lower pressure.

I don't ride MX bikes. But from what I have read most MX riders that have ridden an XR650L think the supension is too soft. The seat definately has much more cushion than the TW. Riding the TW I can feel the seat pan down under when going over rough stuff.

LoneriderAZ

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    The TW doesn't have much travel compared to other dualsport and trail bikes, and the bike is sold in other markets as an agricultural implement, so it is sprung rather stiffly in the rear. Load up about 325 pounds of rider and gear and the ride and handling are significantly better.

A farm bike...I find that rather interesting. Maybe thats why my neighbor was laughing the first time he seen me riding the TW.

Do you know of any aftermarket suspension products that will make it ride smoother ? I don't plan on loading anything on this bike - just rider and gear.

Thanks,

LoneriderAZ

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    This seat pad by Sterns, sold at Walmart, does help. You can go on-line and order one if you're not close to a store.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTdub View Post
    This seat pad by Sterns, sold at Walmart, does help. You can go on-line and order one if you're not close to a store.

Looks nice from what is shown. How does it fit in the front ? Do you have any pics showing the full seat ?

Thanks,

LoneriderAZ

Quote Originally Posted by LoneriderAZ View Post
    Looks nice from what is shown. How does it fit in the front ? Do you have any pics showing the full seat ?

Thanks,

LoneriderAZ

Sorry my TW is still in winter storage and I can't get to it. This pic taken last summer to show my solution to holding the seat on. I wanted to remove the bolts because they are hard to get at, under the seat, and wanted easy access. My final solution, I tried several is the Velcro strap. The Stern cover fits well on the front and pretty much stays put.

here's a link to Walmart and the cover http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Bl...Cover/10727537

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTdub View Post
    here's a link to Walmart and the cover http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Bl...Cover/10727537

Thanks for the link. I'll get one and see how it works. Lower pressure in the tires and the seat cover should help quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links