Clark Tank
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark Tank

For those of you know the Clark tank holds 2.8 gallons. I have never run it empty, but the last 3 tanks I rode until I had to switch to reserve. Took 2 gallons, and I went 185 miles.

Also when I did the oil change I switch to Amsoil and had used the Shell reg gas. I average 91 mpg on it since I switched. Don't know if it was the oil or the Shell gas or a combination of the two. I had used Loves gas up till then. I am running this tank on Loves gas to see if the mileage changes. The 81 mpg was what I had average before the oil change.

I might add this is in the southwest part of Arizona.

The TW I have in Illinois I also only got around 81 to 83 mpg.

Not sure about my TW since I'm still under 1000 total miles on the Odometer, but my Honda GL500 always seemed to run better on Shell gasoline. Must be their additives.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Its funny you say that. I was pushing empty today across from a shell station and filled up there. I always go to chevron because its by my house. On the way home I noticed that the slight surging I seem to feel about 50 mph was almost non existent. Maybe a coincidence but I definitely noticed a smoother run at that speed. I'll have to do some messing with different brands.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    Not sure about my TW since I'm still under 1000 total miles on the Odometer, but my Honda GL500 always seemed to run better on Shell gasoline. Must be their additives.

Dan
    2008 TW200 - Jimbo W/S, Rear Cycle Rack, Magnetic Drain Plug, Wally World Seat Cover, Custom JB Welded Seat Screws. (Desires - Kicker, Raised Handlebars, and Round Headlight)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gentlemen,

I am the owner/operator of Team CB Petroleum Properties. Over the years I have been a dealer for Mobil, Union 76, ARCO, and I am both a Chevron and Shell dealer currently. The base fuel blend in most areas is stipulated by local law (there are over 100 different blends of regular unleaded gas in the U.S.), The difference is in the fuel additives and detergents. The best additive/detergent is Chevron (including Chevron owned Texaco). The patented Chevron additive Techron is acknowledged as the gold standard by Porsche, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, and Toyota. I know that the gas cap of Ford cars says they recommend BP (they get paid for that), but they do their 50,000 mile emissions testing with Chevron gasoline that they have to truck 900 miles to get it to Detroit as there are no Chevron stations in MI. Take it for what it's worth.

Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

Well there is Chevron station in Quartzsite, but I don't think I will get a chance to use it before we head back home for the summer.

Don't know of any close to where I live in Illinois either, but it is certainly an interesting topic.

Chip can you say which of the diesel fuels have the best results?

Quote Originally Posted by rmartin View Post
    Chip can you say which of the diesel fuels have the best results?

The Chevron Oil Company does not refine diesel fuel (they do make Jet fuel which is highly refined diesel) and the diesel that Chevron Dealers like me sell is purchased by Chevron from other oil companies. There is no additive package currently used in diesel (it is currently being worked on) so I would buy diesel fuel based on price as long as it is from a trusted source (avoid bio diesel unless your car is designed for it). I would buy diesel from a discounter like Costco or a major truck stop. I would not buy gasoline from Costco as it contains no additives or detergents to remove carbon or clean injectors.

Chip

Chip, glad you are here to provide input on Chevron/Texaco products. We don't have a local supply for our test program and the decision was made (against my input) to not test those products. I've (unofficially) brought Texaco/Chevron from Memphis on several occasions and it tests right up there with the Shell, Exxon, and Citgo fuels. Shell, Exxon/Mobil, and Citgo generally test better for efficiency and emissions than BP, Murphy (Walmart), or Huck's.

Sadly, none of the E10s we test are actually consistent batch-to-batch, solely due to varying ethanol and water content. When we remove the ethanol and water and restore the (R+M)/2 rating with toluene, the base fuels perform quite consistently batch-to-batch, though the inconsistencies brand-to-brand remain. We've done enough testing so that we can predict the dyno performance (hp, torque, efficiency, and emissions) by season and ethanol and water content. It is the inconsistency of ethanol and water contents that makes jetting to optimize performance with E10 quite impossible.

Sadly, the E0 fuels available from the various independent stations in this area all perform signifcantly better than any E10 no matter whose pump it is from. All are more consistent than any E10, with 9-37% improvement in efficiency. Since unbranded fuels tend to lack beneficial additives such as Techron, I do add polyether amine to the E0s I run in my own vehicles.

rmartin, your >12% increase in fuel efficiency that you believe is due to differences in fuel is not at all uncommon. Locally, E0 costs about $0.20/gallon (5.55%) more than E10 in adjacent pumps at the same station. Tdub consistently returns 75-80mpg with E0, but only 65-70mpg with the best E10, and 60-65mpg with the worst. That's in-town commuting and running errands. I'll happily pay 5.55% more for fuel that returns 30-35% better mpg with 7-10mph increase in top end performance. Keep in mind that Tdub is jetted a bit rich for E0 so she won't run lean if E10 happens to be the only fuel available. The differences would be greater if Tdub was actually jetted for maximum efficiency with E0. I think if more people would actually keep track of efficiency with different fuels in similar riding conditions, a groundswell of objection to forced use of bio-fuels would develop.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I think if more people would actually keep track of efficiency with different fuels in similar riding conditions, a groundswell of objection to forced use of bio-fuels would develop.

Ethanol has been a politically driven disaster for motors of all types. In AZ we are forced to sell fuel 6 months of the year with 10% ethanol in it. Ethanol has only 66% as much energy per gallon as gasoline, it is highly corrosive, and it soaks up water like a sponge. A 4 to 5% drop in mileage is expected even in cars properly tuned for E-10. Taxi cabs operating out of the Phoenix Airport are forced BY LAW to use only E-85 which is sold by only 4 stations in the Phoenix area (including me). The cab drivers hate it as they get 35% less MPG and the E-85 only costs 20% less. I need to use all stainless tank sumps, pumps, nozzles, and hardware because that stuff eats regular fueling equipment. Almost 1 gallon of diesel and over 1000 gallons of water are used (farming) to produce 1 gallon of corrosive, inefficient Ethanol that has to be heavaly subsudized by taxpayers or that swill would never sell. I never use fuel with ethanol in it in my cars/motorcycles if I can avoid it even though that's what I have to sell at my stations.

Chip

So then in layman's terms..what should we be running in the small 200cc engines? what octane?
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    So then in layman's terms..what should we be running in the small 200cc engines? what octane?

Premium Unleaded, 91 or 93 octane, without Ethanol if you can find it, with ethanol if that's all that is available. In the Phoenix area during the winter months, all gasoline at all stations is 10% Ethanol.

Chip

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links