A big THANKYOU to TW Forum members!
Close

I wanted to take a minute to thank the members of this forum. I have been educating myself and obtaining information off this forum for the past few weeks. Recently I came across a TW200 that did not run and had been sitting for a few years. I farted around with it for a week with no results, I could not get the thing to spark. In a search for the manual on the internet, I stumbled across this sight. "WHAT LUCK" After reading numerous post I narrowed the problem down via the "resistence tests" which I obtained out of the service manual I downloaded off this site. It turned out to be the pick up coil. I replaced it this evening and bingo the almighty spark was back. However I was not able to get it to pop. I opened the bowl drain screw and had little if any drips? I figured it may not be getting fuel. I removed the plug and shot a couple cc's of fuel in and replaced the plug. (I did not want to pay for anymore electrical parts $$$$) With my fingers crossed I hit the starter...............HOT DAM it fired. The machine would not run but I think I am on the right track. I had to take a break to color eggs with my sons, (it is Easter tomorrow) On return, I was going to remove the carb but tried to start it one more time and wouldn't you know it the thing ran???????????? I attempted to ride it down the street but it kept falling on its face and would not idle unless the choke was fully out. I let it run for awhile and it got better. My last pass down the street it seemed to wind out fine. I think I will try the Sea Foam trick mentioned on here before rebuilding the carb, what do you think? Valves sound a little chatty I will adjust as noted on this forum. I imagine next I will have to get a new chain the one on it is pretty rusty. Any and all other recommendations to get this TW back to full strengh are appreciated. Once again thanks so much for the help. HAPPY EASTER

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman393 View Post
    I wanted to take a minute to thank the members of this forum. I have been educating myself and obtaining information off this forum for the past few weeks. Recently I came across a TW200 that did not run and had been sitting for a few years. I farted around with it for a week with no results, I could not get the thing to spark. In a search for the manual on the internet, I stumbled across this sight. "WHAT LUCK" After reading numerous post I narrowed the problem down via the "resistence tests" which I obtained out of the service manual I downloaded off this site. It turned out to be the pick up coil. I replaced it this evening and bingo the almighty spark was back. However I was not able to get it to pop. I opened the bowl drain screw and had little if any drips? I figured it may not be getting fuel. I removed the plug and shot a couple cc's of fuel in and replaced the plug. (I did not want to pay for anymore electrical parts $$$$) With my fingers crossed I hit the starter...............HOT DAM it fired. The machine would not run but I think I am on the right track. I had to take a break to color eggs with my sons, (it is Easter tomorrow) On return, I was going to remove the carb but tried to start it one more time and wouldn't you know it the thing ran???????????? I attempted to ride it down the street but it kept falling on its face and would not idle unless the choke was fully out. I let it run for awhile and it got better. My last pass down the street it seemed to wind out fine. I think I will try the Sea Foam trick mentioned on here before rebuilding the carb, what do you think? Valves sound a little chatty I will adjust as noted on this forum. I imagine next I will have to get a new chain the one on it is pretty rusty. Any and all other recommendations to get this TW back to full strengh are appreciated. Once again thanks so much for the help. HAPPY EASTER
    I have a similar situation, came across an 89 that had been sitting for a couple years. Drained all the gas, replaced the plug and battery and figured I'd have to do a carb rebuild for sure. Tried the starter and wouldn't you know it fired right up. Runs fabulous. I pulled the air filter and found it brittle and falling apart so replaced that too for $6, would definitely recommend you do the same. Did an oil change - oil was black as night, and ended up draining and refilling the forks to possibly stiffen up the front suspension a bit. Looking at changing the gearing to 15/50 possibly and still playing around with how to improve the braking but otherwise, planning to put some miles on it at this point. Can't believe it ran without any carb work...

Congrats on reviving the TW. This site is a wealth of information, and many of the members are really helpful with sorting out problems.

Enjoy the ride.-Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I rescue a neglected engine, I change the oil and filter first, get it running, then change the oil and filter again. I learned the hard way that a stuck float will sometimes dump gasoline in the sump when some previous rescuer gave up. Nothing will ruin an engine any quicker than gasoline in the oil.

I agree on the BIG THANK YOU part,and spend time reading/using the information from these experienced users.Last Saturday with the help from this forum I installed a Kick Start on my '09'and switched to Mobile 1-4T oil,in which the clutch and shifting is conciderably improved.In the rural area I live ,parts, and choice of gasoline are few and distant.Thanks Forum!!!

lee(Halfbubble)

I did notice that the old oil seemd to be in bad shape and kinda thin on the oil change. I will change it again at the end of the week. Should I also change the filter again? I replaced what appeared to be the stock "metal screen" filter with a after market K&N. (That thing was dirty) Has anyone replaced there chain lately I thick I will get the upgrade many have mentioned on this forum. The air filter seems to be in good shape but I am going to clean it up with some left over K&N filter cleaner and reoil.....

A little Seafoam Deep Creep will clean that stock metal filter right up. No, I wouldn't bother with another new filter--just pull and drain it, then put it back in unless it is already cruddy. If it is, go back with the cleaned stock filter.

Thaks qwerty. I will get er done....

Sponosred Links