I Need Some Recommendations
Close

It's time for a few things, and I'll tell you what they are. What I'm asking of you is to direct me to the best prices for said things.

Chain (I'm thinking the Lytle Racing DID428 122 link)

Sprockets, stock gearing (no idea about these)

Sidecover gasket

Sidecover screws (if you can just give me the dimensions and how many of each size I'd need, I'll just drop in the hardware store)

And finally, tires. I want something like stock, decent for 50/50. If there's some that perform as well for a similar/better price, inform me. Otherwise, the best price for the stock tires will do.

And that's it folks. In advance, I appreciate the advice.

You'll have to do your own price shopping.

As for your chain preference, I haven't a clue. The stock chain is a DID 428 and it is junk. Be sure that isn't what you are getting. If you want a Lyle Racing DID 428 chain you'll have to contact Lyle Racing for their price. Other places sell the same chain for different prices. If you want really cheap you can probably find a set of sprockets with a cheap chain on ebay for under $50. Yup, took all of 30 seconds to find the stock sizes sprockets with a chain.

Stock sprockets in North America are 14 and 50. The Yamaha sprockets are good quality, as are JT and Parts Unlimited. You'll have to do your own shopping. Really, is it that hard to google?

Side cover gaskets? www.stadiumyamaha.com Order along with sprockets. $38.10 for all three parts, plus shipping. They've never charged me more than actual UPS fees.

I have no idea the specific sizes of the side cover screws for either side. Pull the screws and take them in to match up. Try to find stainless allen heads to fit. Less likely to round out next time you need to remove the side cover. Maybe there is a kit available? That would be convenient, and probably cost less than buying screws individually. Google is your friend.

Ebay to the rescue--took 30 seconds to find these with the ebay search engine.

Rear tire options in North America are limited to Bridgestone TW34 (stock) and TW204, and Shinko clones of the TW204. Front tire options are limitless--there are several front tire threads. There are several replacements for the front tire that work much better on and off road. As for prices, google. I like www.americanmototire.com They have the TW34 for under $100, which is pretty cheap. They also have several good, cheap options for the front. First is the Shinko 700 for about $65. They have the Kenda 270 for about the same price and Shinko 244 for about $10 less. These two are in 5.10-18 size. All three are better than stock, which they also have for about $70. They also have the Cheng Shin clone of the TW31 for about $60, but it is no better than the stock tire. Free delivery on whichever you choose, too. Free delivery is good, no?

Anywho, some times the cheapest advertised prices aren't cheapest delivered prices. Shipping and taxes can make or break a deal. Be sure you compare delivered prices. Tired of being told to google? Prices at various sources change on almost a daily basis. You'll need to do your own research in real time to find out where the best prices are right now. Ebay's search function works well, too.

I purchased the did o-ring chain with sprockets through lytle racing on eBay and so far it seems to be a good chain. I'm pretty sure it has a higher tensile strength than the stock but I don't remember the exact specs..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not all DID chains are bad. In fact, DID makes really good chains, some of the world's best, actually. They also make some junk. Be sure of what you are getting.

I ordered a set of bolts from Alloyboltz.com via Ebay. They are stainless steel allen heads and they come with washers. They make a nice product and the screws are actually labeled, so you know where they go (but I just took out one screw from the bike, matched it up to the new one and put it in). It was cheaper for me to order the kit than to go to the hardware store and buy them individually. I highly recommend these bolts. I think it was under 30 bucks. They also make the bike look a little better too. FYI, the kit they sell for the TW is the same one as the XT, so you'll end up with a few extras.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Greatly appreciate that, Rainman. I'd seen the bolt set on there but wasn't sure how well they matched up. I know sometimes the guys that throw the kits together get a bit mixed up. I might go ahead and grab that while I'm at it.

As for the difficulty of Googling, that's not much the problem. The reliability is more the problem. I just want to know what works for you guys, since you are to go-to source for this sort of thing. You can do a Google search for a blue waffle, but you'll find more than just breakfast. I'd rather go to the horse's mouth than just match words.

I've never heard of a blue waffle, but I've a sneaking suspicion it has nothing to do with a horse's mouth.

No, I don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    ....... You can do a Google search for a blue waffle, but you'll find more than just breakfast.......
    OMG I wish I hadn't googled that.......just before breakfast.

I agree with you about getting input from people that have actually used different products and suppliers. I pride myself in being an effective shopper and customer feedback helps.

Sponosred Links