Fuel mileage
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Fuel mileage

I thought I would start this new link.

Below is the fuel mileage on my tw since I bought it with 395 miles on it Jan 10, 2011. I always try to hold the bike up right when filling it. I just copied it from the spread sheet, and rounded to hundredths. All fuel 87 octane. I think they are all E10. Forgot to check the Chevron. The ones not lable for brand were either, Shell, Texaco or Loves. I never recorded them. It just depended which end of town I was at when I needed fuel.

As one guy said who knows what is in the hose before the fuel I paid for.

As I said on the Clark tank post. The only thing I did was change oil at 962 to Amsoil 15w40. This last tank fuel I kind of kept track of the riding. Of the 186 miles, probably 50 miles were in the desert on gravel type roads and slowing down going into washes. 120 riding around town less than 35 mph, and the rest over 45 on highways.

odometer / miles / gallons / average that tank / brand

0511 / 116 / 1.622 / 71.52

0657 / 146 / 1.936 / 75.41

0778 / 121 / 1.436 / 84.26

0874 / 96 / 1.146 / 83.77

1036 / 162 / 1.953 / 82.95

1183 / 147 / 1.619 / 90.80

1356 / 173 / 1.894 / 91.341

1542 / 186 / 2.029 / 91.67 / Shell

1714 / 172 / 1.779 / 96.68 / Loves

1879 / 165 / 1.74 / 94.83 / Chevron

Chevron

86.51 mpg since I bought it.
    ZDR1 likes this.

Very interesting information.

I always get about 70 miles to the gallon on average. I have yet to break 100 miles to change to reserve.

I just purchased a gallon of Rotella 6T for my 2000 mile oil change and I hope I get some results like you on the move from dino to syn.

I'll keep an eye on it.

If anyone is interested (O'Reily aka Kragen) has rotella on sale right now for $17.99 a gallon 6T and 10.99 a gallon for dino. Also Mobil1 Motorcycle and VTwin for $7.99 a quart.
    2008 TW200 - Jimbo W/S, Rear Cycle Rack, Magnetic Drain Plug, Wally World Seat Cover, Custom JB Welded Seat Screws. (Desires - Kicker, Raised Handlebars, and Round Headlight)

Rotella isn't synthetic. It used to be, but these days Rotella uses a de-sulfured dino base and calls it synthetic. See the blurb on the bottle that says "low emissions" and all the chatter in the advertising about "low ash additive technology"? That means little protection for your flat cam followers. Rotella ain't what it used to be.

With stock jetting and mild riding, cruising around in the 35-45mph range on pavement or easy graded dirt and gravel roads, Tdub has returned 111mpg on E0, 91mpg on E10. WFO with a load of camping gear into a 30+mph headwind at altitude in 4th gear at 45mph on E10 returned 44mph. That's her best and worst.

martin, if you have a choice, try different sources for fuel. Some are more efficient than others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those are different sources of fuel. I just never recorded them until the last few fill ups. I weigh 260. I am not trying to see what I can get, but some have asked what I have been doing. I just out to have a good time, and kill time here in the desert, until the weather settles down in Illinois.

I always knew E0 was better, but it is so hard to find anymore.

I always check my mileage and my wife's... I average 77/80.. She gets 80/85.. OMM.

I'm between 58-62mpg. Almost every tank. With the filling variances from tank to tank I'd say 60mpg is the long-term average, I used to keep track but then gave up when the stock tank needed filling every day...too many receipts and miles to keep track of That's commuting to and from work, only time I spend below 55mph is when accelerating from the stop lights and my neighborhood. I'm happy with it for my conditions. Finally found an E0 station somewhat near me so we'll see what that brings me, unfortunately it's in the opposite direction of where I work so not sure how often I'll be stopping there. Gotta keep my eyes peeled for a different station.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Can you elaborate some? I looked on the bottle I just purchased and the words "low emission" and "ash" are nowhere on the label.

It stated "full synthetic base oil". What does that mean then? American marketing trick?

I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Rotella isn't synthetic. It used to be, but these days Rotella uses a de-sulfured dino base and calls it synthetic. See the blurb on the bottle that says "low emissions" and all the chatter in the advertising about "low ash additive technology"? That means little protection for your flat cam followers. Rotella ain't what it used to be.

With stock jetting and mild riding, cruising around in the 35-45mph range on pavement or easy graded dirt and gravel roads, Tdub has returned 111mpg on E0, 91mpg on E10. WFO with a load of camping gear into a 30+mph headwind at altitude in 4th gear at 45mph on E10 returned 44mph. That's her best and worst.

martin, if you have a choice, try different sources for fuel. Some are more efficient than others.
    2008 TW200 - Jimbo W/S, Rear Cycle Rack, Magnetic Drain Plug, Wally World Seat Cover, Custom JB Welded Seat Screws. (Desires - Kicker, Raised Handlebars, and Round Headlight)

Quote Originally Posted by pgilles View Post
    I'm between 58-62mpg. Almost every tank. With the filling variances from tank to tank I'd say 60mpg is the long-term average, I used to keep track but then gave up when the stock tank needed filling every day...too many receipts and miles to keep track of That's commuting to and from work, only time I spend below 55mph is when accelerating from the stop lights and my neighborhood. I'm happy with it for my conditions. Finally found an E0 station somewhat near me so we'll see what that brings me, unfortunately it's in the opposite direction of where I work so not sure how often I'll be stopping there. Gotta keep my eyes peeled for a different station.

I usually fill up a couple of 5 gallon jugs and use those to fill the TW. Otherwise, the gas station people start to know me by name. Just a thought, if you've got a way to get the 5 gallon jugs to and from the station.

I tend to get something barely in the 60's (E10). I'm a fairly big guy, and I tend to sit bolt upright. I may try riding in a full race tuck and see if I can get closer to the mileage some of you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Can you elaborate some? I looked on the bottle I just purchased and the words "low emission" and "ash" are nowhere on the label.

It stated "full synthetic base oil". What does that mean then? American marketing trick?

I'm curious.

Classic American marketing trick. It's all in the definition of "synthetic".

Those 90 mpg numbers are excellent. I'm usually in the 70-80 range. My oil is 20w50 non-syn.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links