Looking at possibly getting a TW
Close

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum and would like to ask what you guys think of a TW a coworker wants to sell me. It is a 2004 with 8000 miles on it and he's asking $1500 for it. I looked at it today and while it runs nicely and looks decent for it's miles, there is a slight leak it seems on the front of the engine block where the head mounts on the rest of the block. Would this just be an easy gasket swap? The chain is also slightly rusty on the surface, is that a deal breaker? Thanks for any and all advice!
    '05 TW200--15/50 gearing, Cyclerack, XT350 tank

'81 KZ750--project bike

Later bikes sometimes suffer from base gasket leaks, but if the leak is higher than that odds are it's just the valve cover gaskets. 15 dollar, ten minute fix.

In Cali that bike would probably sell in a day for $2,000. At 8,000 miles you're probably looking at tires, brake pads, chain and sprockets and a battery unless the P.O. kept up with the maintenence.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I wouldn't pay $1500 for an 8000-mile TW unless it was in perfect condition with new sprockets and an o-ring chain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hmm, sounds like we have two different views on the price lol. I don't see a whole lot of these for sale so it's kind of hard to get a feel for their selling prices.

BTW, what is the typical replacement interval for the chain and sprocket? How much does that usually cost?

'81 KZ750--project bike

I paid $1,400 for a '93 with just over 10K, so my view of this one for $100 more, more than 10 years newer, and fewer miles is different than some here. Finding a running TW at anything under $1,200 is a rare find from what I've seen. Some of whether to jump might depend on your mechanical skills... if you can work on the bike and save yourself some money, I'd say go for it. If you have to pay someone else to work on it, factor that into your decision.

Beewerks,

Do plenty of homework and research from local and regional advertising sources, such as Craigslist. This would give you a baseline of what TW's are selling for in your area.

I did some searching on Craigslist in the western U.S., so here are a few examples for pricing comparison. Should mention, there are not a lot of TW's for sale on Craigslist, so search other options selling motorcycles.

1) 2001; 1,100 miles; $3,000; Idaho

2) 2006; 3,800 miles; $2,900; Idaho

3) 2002; 4,995 miles; $2,450; Salt Lake City

4) 2005; 319 miles; $2,500; Las Vegas

5) 1987; miles nl; $1,200; Fresno

6) 2002; 2,200; $2,200; Denver

I'm sure better deals can be had. What you want to pay is your personal choice of what your willing to pay.

For many reasons, O-Ring chains are the best way to go, but I didn't look up a price.

However, to just give you an approximate cost on OEM chains and sprockets, though the range can vary, these would be around $30-35 for each. Again they vary quite a bit, so searching around local dealers as well as the on-line M/C dealers is the way to go to get the most accurate pricing.

Good luck on your search.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

If you are anal with chain maintenance and ride daintily only on dry roads, a stock chain might last 6000 miles. Without maintenance, the stock chain will fall off withing 2000 miles. On the other hand, if you choose an 0-ring chain, give it a squirt of wax often enough to keep it from rusting, and ride it in swamps and deserts, that chain might last 25,000 miles. Sad thing is, when a chain wears out, it takes the sprockets with it. Sprockets and chain need to be replaced as a set for maximum life.

14-tooth countershaft sprockets run about $11 plus shipping. Wheel sprockets from 42 to 55 teeth run from $19 to $25. Chains can run from $13 for a cheap open chain to $180 for a top-of-the-line high-tensile chain. Best value for most T-dubbers is a brand name o-ring chain for $65 to $80.

Sprocket and chain sets can be had from ebay for under $50, with a choice of wheel sprocket sizes, but those include only a cheap open chain. I'd invest $50 more and get an o-ring chain. Spend twice as much, get 3-4 times the life, and only have to do 1/20 the maintenance. It's a good investment.

You'll also need an engine case cover gasket, Loctite for the countershaft sprocket bolts, and lock tabs for the rear wheel sprocket, so factor in those expenses. You'll probably need a hand impact to remove the case cover screws without stripping the heads. Stock sprockets in North America have 14/50 tooth count. That is a good all around ratio. If you will be riding mostly pavement with limited steep trails, 14/47, or 15/50 might be a better choice. If you plan to do a good bit of gnarly offroad riding, then lean toward 14/55.

I paid $1800 for a 2003 with 712 miles with a new battery and no damage in 2007. It takes patience.

It does seem that all of the TW's I've seen here in CO start at $2200 and go up from there. From what all everyone is saying, (thanks to you all!) parts aren't that terribly expensive. I am very mechanical and don't take anything to the mechanic for anything. I guess my only major expense would be the tires, which currently have lots of tread on them, but they are the originals from 2004. I'm not sure if they have dried out at all.

'81 KZ750--project bike

If the bike was stored indoors I expect the tires are good. you can download the manuals for your TW from the thread pinned near the top of the technical help section.

Thanks to all for your help in this decision! I am going to get the bike from the guy, and managed to whittle the price down to $1250. Will post pics once I get it!

'81 KZ750--project bike

Sponosred Links