How much can our Dubs handle?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: How much can our Dubs handle?

How much can our Dubs handle?

Ok all, I have a serious question... I commute 11 miles each way to work at 55+mph every day (weather permitting). I also venture off on the weekends traveling the same speeds and frequently drive 196 miles to vacation in Southern Ohio in the summer averaging 55 mph and sometimes hitting 70+ mph on my Dub.

I currently weigh in at 165 lbs and usually drop down to 155 in the summer due to more activity. I know our bikes were probably not designed for 55+ mph as often as I'm hitting those numbers?!

So, my question is... Am I damaging or over stressing my dub? I'd really hate to see this bikes life span decrease or prematurely end. It's a 2015 that I put over 1100 miles on in less than 3 months. Would I better off trading it in for a WR250R due to the speeds I travel or will this mule handle the abuse? Any input would be much appreciated; I'd really hate to see her go!

BTW I do all the proper maintenance and she's well taken care of outside of traveling 55 +
    TWilight and jtomelliott49 like this.

Hey Yamahauln, I'm 250 & I commuted by freeway for several years and my TW is still going strong. In addition to my weight, I have front & rear cycle racks, front panniers & an auxiliary fuel tank and I carry a loaded backpack. As Twilight pointed out, I re-geared my TW for the freeway and I highly recommend it unless you need the stock "granny low." Although, now that I no longer commute by freeway I have stock sprockets in inventory for the next chain replacement.

If you got the money buy the WR250 if your primary use is the pavement with just light duty off-road. You will be able to travel in the 65-75 mph range better. Maybe even consider an XT250 instead of a WR250 to save a little money with a little better speed than the TW.

If you really like the TW and don't really want to get rid of it...
    The TW can handle what you're asking for it right now as well. This summer I tried a 45 tooth rear sprocket. I absolutely loved it when riding on the highway. Much lower rpm's made the vibration ride much more comfortable. Though I didn't check it as much, I believe my fuel mileage was better as well. I also took it off-highway on a forest service road above Boise (Boise Ridge Road). There were some pretty steep sections and I had to downshift to 1st gear, but it did just fine. Obviously, a 45T wouldn't be a good trail gear if you have to go slow.

As TWilight mentioned, a 47T would be going in the same direction as the 45T with just a few more rpm's than the 45T.

If I rode a TW mostly on highway, I would use a 14/45 gearing combo or equivalent as there are other sprocket combination ratio's you could go with.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Awesome! I'm extremely glad to hear these bikes can handle the load, I'll be sure to change the rear sprocket out when the weather starts to sustain decent temperatures. I really, really like these bikes and it'a paid off, so I really didn't want to go back in debt for another bike!

Honestly I know I'd miss the Dub as soon as I handed over the keys. What this bike lacks in power it makes up in personality!

Given that the TW motor is air-cooled, the best things you can do for its longevity are synthetic oil and frequent oil changes. Other than that, don't worry about it.

And TWilight's sprocket suggestion is worth considering too.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

I've been changing the oil every 500 miles (Yamalube). I've noticed since I've been riding Yamaha's (16 or 17 years now) the clutch plates always stick once the bike sets awhile. Does synthetic oil prevent this? It's annoying to say the least!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I was in the same boat, either TW or wr250R. I will be commuting 12 miles each way to work and home, plus will be using it for hunting and trails. The WR is awesome but sits so high, when I am hunting with a pack on and gear, I like to be flat footed on the ground when I stop.
    2014 TW200~ now sold
    NC700X
    YFZ 450 Atv

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahauln View Post
    I've been changing the oil every 500 miles (Yamalube). I've noticed since I've been riding Yamaha's (16 or 17 years now) the clutch plates always stick once the bike sets awhile. Does synthetic oil prevent this? It's annoying to say the least!
    Synthetic or semi can help - but the effects (of the oil change) diminish over time - mine came back from the shop a while back with semi, and it was noticeably better - but over time the plates are sticky again, maybe not as much, but give it a couple of months ......
    Yamahauln and jtomelliott49 like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

The WR is a sexy machine but it does have a rather tall stance. I also like to be flat footed when coming to a stop or riding on rough terrain that calls for some footwork. I'm 6ft but my weight doesn't suppress the springs to the point I feel confident. I really want to keep the Dub I just don't want to wring it out to the point something catastrophic happens. Id rather make a small monthly payment than to be stranded on the side of the road. However, from the sounds of it this mighty mule can take the abuse.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahauln View Post
    mine started sticking when I started to use full synthetic. it's no big deal to just break them loose before the first ride. the benefits of using synthetic far out way the sticky clutch plates
    Last edited by grewen; 02-24-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links