Battery Tender on new TW
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Battery Tender on new TW

Battery Tender on new TW

I just got this battery tender for a 2016 TW200 and pulled the seat off to find it already had the quick connect installed.

I pugged it in and the battery seems to make a quite soft bubbling sound. Is this ok?

I got this tender -
    Battery Tender® Plus
    ACC-CHGBT-TN-12
    https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...&dealernumber=
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    ---
    Instagram: @wampanoagriders
    Hidden Content
    ---
    2016 Yamaha TW200
    Deus Surf Rack / FMF Power Core Muffler / Ricochet Off-Road Skid Plate / Rox Risers / Seat Concepts Seat

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    If the battery is the flooded cell type, make sure there is enough distilled water in each cell of the battery.

Also, double check the polarity of the harness on the bike.

I cannot say there is something wrong, as I have never heard any of my batteries make any noise while hooked up to the exact same charger you have.

Also, it is never really quiet in my shop, and I'm somewhat deaf. Just ask Susan. She says I never listen.
    TWilight, Darth, grewen and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnphotography View Post
    ... I pugged it in and the battery seems to make a quite soft bubbling sound. Is this ok?
    If you double checked the polarity of the pigtail AND the BT Plus goes into float mode (steady green) after a few hours, it should be fine. I assume you still have the OEM lead acid Yuasa? Remove the caps and verify it wasn't over filled. Generally, a low amp charge like this should not make the battery bubble, and it definitely should not bubble on the float charge....that's only 75 milliamps or so. If you have to put your ear right to the top of the battery it's probably fine, but listen to what happens after it goes to float.

The BT is supposed to sense reversed polarity and blink red and green....I assume it's not doing that.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Really, the battery tender Jr. (750mA) would be a better product for you. Your plus model appears to put in 1.25 amps. That's really what it's all about, the amps. It may be a little "hot" for your little battery. The loose rule is to find what the reserve capacity of the battery is. Proper current is up to 1 amp for every 10 hrs of capacity. So the TW stock flooded battery has like a 7-8 hr res cap=up to 700-800 milliamps for proper charge. Your 120 res cap truck battery can take up to 12 amps, etc.

Flooded batteries will gurgle and bubble as they charge, but if the current is too excessive, they can boil over and that is bad. I would think that your charger would be fine to charge up a dead battery, but I probably wouldn't use it as a maintainer. That's my 2 cents.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Hmm...I have the Jr., all three of them, and my batteries never bubble, so I thought going from .75 amps to 1.25 amps would not make that big a difference. It's certainly true that the Jr. is half the price! I'd return the Plus and buy a Jr. if I was you. Hard to believe, but Yamaha Store actually charges MORE than the suggested retail ($69.95 according to Deltran). Can you say rip-off?

Get a Jr. for $39.95 from Amazon! No more "bubble, bubble, toil and trouble"..... Wm Shakespeare.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I use battery tender JR. and I've noticed the same (tiny) bubbling sound. Almost like a fizzing. It does this with a brand new battery - and an old one.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Battery Tender on new TW

It's my experience that every flooded cell battery I have ever owned has made some soft bubbling sound when it's charging(I have owned a bunch over the years in my bass boat, my current one takes 4). This normally occurs when the batter is closer to fully charged. In the marine world we have always called it " gassing". As long as it's a slight bubbling and it does not sound like it's boiling you should be fine. If it sounds like it's boiling you are over charging it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TWilight and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I've used the Jrs. for years with only good results.
    But...if my battery was bubbling or boiling I couldn't hear it either!
    And if you want to get a good look at it...don't use a match!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    .......you bought the wrong battery tender.

Yeah, yeah, I know most of you will disagree with me, but I have owned those larger Battery tenders before, and they do NOT last as long, or slowly trickle charge and then maintain a battery like the Battery tender JR. does.

I have 7 of the Battery Tender JR. models, and have some that are 10+ years old. They have never failed me...and they are 1/2 the price of what you paid for that "monster" Battery Tender...
    Mike, you have such a way with words.....

In an effort to educate, and not denigrate the fine Deltran battery charger the OP has already purchased...

My experience with BT Plus has not been exemplary:

Here's three I have in a bucket in the garage. I have two more in NC, and just last week threw out another that was on my tractor.

None of them work.

I must be a slow learner...

I just bought one of their new versions...

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0185G-dl-wh Black 12 Volt 1.25 Amp Plus Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive

Also have a couple of BT Jr's still in operation.

Here's hoping that JDN has better luck than you and I, and his BT Plus has a long and happy life.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 02-24-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

All pig tails are not created equal! Yuor BT came with a pig tail that has red and black on the battery ends. Just because the BT plugs into the existing pig tail does not mean it is the correct polarity. Match the BT pig tail to the one on your bike and be absolutely sure the positive is on the + of the battery. On the BT the wire from the unit to the connector plug uses the exposed metal pin, male end, as the positive leg. On the pig tail the covered female side of the plug is the positive to the battery.

I have a bunch of the BT Jrs and one 4 bank one that all work perfect for me. I do not trust those small transformers so I always use an extension cord rather than leave them plugged into a wall outlet. I figure if one shorts out I don't want it near a combustible wall in my shop so I keep it away from anything that could burn.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links