TW200 Emergency Preparedness
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: TW200 Emergency Preparedness

TW200 Emergency Preparedness

Hi all,

I'm putting together a survival/evacuation plan for if and when a big natural/man-made disaster strikes. Concerns for my current location are earthquakes and fires. My bf and I would leave town on our bikes (mine a TW). Traffic is a gridlock here on any average day - I can't imagine what it'd be like in an actual disaster... Hence the choice for bikes instead of the car.

My goal is to be able to execute the packing process within 1 hour. There's already a great thread on building adventure-ready TWs, which I am in the process on doing anyway, and I think this will overlap with that a bit in terms of bike set-up.

Has anyone made a plan like this? Any ideas? These are the major categories I am building my list around. I will design a bike set up after the list is finalized.

- TW tools and maintenance (include basic toolkit and maintenance items, such as tire pump, spark plug, of course fuel)
    - Survival (first aid kit, fire starter, flash light, wood saw, survival blanket)
    - Food/water/stove (multi-fuel stove, including gasoline)
    - Shelter (sleeping bags, tent)
    - Personal items (cash, clean/dry clothes, toilertries)
    - Communication (2-way radios, sat device, 1-way radio)
    - Nav (gps)
    - Plan (what city do we go to, on what roads, how much gas do we need, etc)

And which items can we keep on one bike, and which items need to be duplicated on both bikes, if we get split up?

Some differences I can think of from going on a planned TW adventures:
    - My home may be destroyed/pilfered when I return, so I need to take items of high value or importance (e.g. title)
    - Increased safety threat from thieves. I don't currently own a gun.
    - I don't know how long I'll be on the road for.
    - Road conditions immediate to disaster area cannot be predicted.

I'm interested to hear any emergency evacuations plans that any of you may have come up with.

Buy a good handgun. No need to get crazy on gun or cost. $3-400 will get a good one. Get training. Conceal carry permits in Cali? Get one if you can, but take it either way. How does bf feel about that?
    Extra gas...fill up every time you can.
    Hunting knife.
    Spare glasses?
    A bag of good weed.
    Zombie whistle.
    A cable & lock to secure the bikes to a post or tree.
    Make sure bikes are in good shape...tires, chain, brakes, etc.
    Camera.
    Good luck!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    A great topic for sure. I don't recall if there has ever been a comprehensive one like it here before. Sure, we've talked about many of the elements, but probably not all in one thread. I dunno.

I think that you plan pretty much the same as if you were going on an extensive adventure ride. That starts with making sure your bike is well maintained with the fuel tank always closer to full than empty. Then setting up your bike with racks and boxes or bags that will accommodate all of the gear your plan to take. I like having many options, so I have a tank bag that I almost always use. Then I have a rear rack that I can attach a 1 gal. Rotopax of fuel & a 1 gal. Rotopax of water. Then I have a set of the larger Versa packs soft saddle bags (from petandhorse.com) that I can put over the Rotopax, and to organize those I use the lighter weight waterproof bags that come in multiple sizes so I can color code and pull individual bags out when needed. Then, I have a medium sized waterproof duffel that my tent, sleeping bag, electronics, and clothing goes in to top off the rear of the bike. Then I have a small set of soft saddlebags that I can put over the fuel tank and the fuel cap goes in the saddle horn hole. These can hold extra tubes, tire tools, or whatever. Finally, I have an over the headlight front rack, which I usually strap my pretty well stocked first aid kit onto.

The point is that you can get all of this kind of stuff. I can load out my bike for whatever kind of ride I plan to do, or I/you can have these things pre-packed and ready to go for an adventure...or an emergency. You can throw it on and strap it down in 10 minutes and be gone. Many use the tool tubes, so they always can carry some extra fuel and or tools, etc.

The TW for sure would make a good get out of Dodge choice. If you are in an emergency situation like in the movies, you could be zooming past on the shoulders, or medians or sidewalks! I would also address the lack of weaponry or personal protections skills, because when you have good stuff...others will want/try to take it.

Having a plan for an a, b, or c destination or general direction would be good. Planning for meet up spots in case of separation every 50 miles or so. Stuff like that might be good along with pre-packed paper maps.

I'm curious to see how this thread develops.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Get one of these instead of a gasoline stove. It has a charger in it for your cell phone. A small roll up solarpanel/charger should also be included. I do not favor hand guns but a light survival rifle might be useful.
    BioLite Camp Stove Gifts | TheHut.com
    Last edited by Polarpilot; 02-26-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

If you go to a couple of the Survivalist forums you will get all sorts of great ideas about what to pack. They refer to it as a Bug Out Bag. These are mostly centered around a situation where you have to get out of Dodge real quick and don't have time to fart around. The TW is probably one of the most versatile bikes one could have to Bug Out on. First and foremost on the list is to have your bike all set up with substantial racks bags and such and a way to carry additional fuel. Your TW with a full stock tank will get you between 75 -100 miles. The rear rack you choose is important, my choice would be the Cyclerack with panniers because it can handle a couple hundred pounds. Picking your destination will be most important but will depend on what disaster you are running from. One item I consider an absolute necessity on a TW is a 10 foot length of 1/4 inch clear tubing for siphoning gas. I would want 2 guns. A holstered hand gun on your person for protection and a 22 caliber rifle to hunt squirrels, rabbits and small game for food. Another necessity is a survival water purifier. You don't want to carry a lot of water but they make small survival straws and purifiers that can keep you alive. Remember, you are on a small MC so you will not have the capacity to make your life comfy. If this really is a big concern for you then I would be signing up to take a bunch of classes with a survivalist group. Getting away from the danger of something like a major earth quake is the easy part with a TW and your gear ready to go. Ending up out in the middle of nowhere safe and sound is just the beginning once you realize you know very little about survival without the amenities. You can be sure that many others will be doing the same and lawlessness will be the order of the day.

GaryL
    TWilight, troll, grewen and 5 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I've been up to the same thing.

Powerpot is nice because it generates thermoelectricity without the noise of the biolite. I have a flashlight, lantern, radio, and walkies that all USB charge off the powerpot. It also works on most cell phones etc.

Look up hobbo stoves. They're lightweight, small, easy to make, low smoke, and very efficient.

Guns are noisy (draw attention) and gunpowder may be limited so I say go with a high power air rifle. If you make one you can avoid CO2 cans and use a pressure tank. You could also use a commonly available (easy to scavenge material) metal stock to make slugs out of. Some hunters are now using the higher powered 50cal ones on big game even.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 02-26-2016 at 06:41 AM.
    TWilight and jtomelliott49 like this.

Lots of beer an munchies if you take the weed...

You may want a gun to get out of a populated area, but otherwise you won't want to draw attention to your location and scare away game when you depend on it.

You can't plan for everything but being more self reliant and less dependent on batteries, fuel, and gun powder would an asset in the long term.

Get to know your wild edibles! The few I know about are actually very tasty! Weighing yourself down with food isn't ideal when you can pack more tools to provide wild foods. A day or too in rations will help you while you set up camp and find food sources. Learn/practice tracking snaring and targeting prey.

cpit, if you are really trying to get out of the Grey Area after a natural disaster you will first be competing with millions of others on congested highways. The more narrow your bike is the easier it will be to slip between cars and make forward progress.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links