Considering buying a 1990 TW... What should I pay for her?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Considering buying a 1990 TW... What should I pay for her?

Junior Member oilrunsthickerthanblood's Avatar

Considering buying a 1990 TW... What should I pay for her?

I'm looking into getting my first TW after tossing the idea around for some time now.
    Though I've seen plenty of newer TW's in the same price range, I have my heart set on a kickstart equipped model. So, I came across a 1990 TW that could use a good dose of loving, but otherwise seems like a pretty solid bike for its age. The owner says that the carburetor will need a deep cleaning, and I imagine I'll need to do a good tank flush as it has been sitting with old gas in it for a good year or a couple. Aside from the aforementioned "issues" (which could come with any bike that's been just sitting for some time) there is nothing else *that I know of* wrong with it.

I looked up the KBB value, which was just under $1,500 for this year/model in "excellent" condition.
    From what I've gathered, KBB and The People seem to have different views on this, as I rarely see a TW priced that low that hasn't been driven into the dirt.
    Alas, here I am. Finally coming to you guys to get some advice on buying my first TW after lurking the boards for some time.

I've yet to see the bike up close and personal, and only know the bare minimum about her, but here's what I DO know:
    - It's a 1990 Yamaha TW (Wait, really? A TW, you say?)
    - Comes with two gas tanks (stock tank and Clarke 2.7g tank)
    - Odometer reads in at just under 3,000 miles.
    - All stock, aside from very minor changes (upgraded bars, new chain, new air filter, +1 sprocket up front)
    - Needs carburetor cleaned, and likely a good flush of the tank as I mentioned, before she's ready to ride.
    - The seat has seen better days... 24 years of them. I *might* be able to get it to clean up w/ a Magic Eraser and some good ol' fashioned elbow grease, but at the end of the day, it's just cosmetic. I will likely replace it w/ a more comfortable black seat in time.
    - Cosmetically, I would say the bike is at about a 7/10 based on its age. Aside from the heavily blackened seat, plastics look pretty clean, all bells and whistles appear to be intact.
    - Aaand, lastly... The bike is located a solid 1,500 miles away from where I live, and due to it needing a good tune up and it not being a wonderful choice to try and ride it home, I've come to the conclusion that I will have to drive my truck out to pick her up and get her back home before I start tinkering with her. Yes, gas is as cheap as it's been since I've had a license, but to say a 3,000 mile trip to pick up a bike that is older than I am is justified is questionable. Give me reasons to justify it!

So there you have it, this is what I'm working with. I'm curious as to what you guys think is reasonable to pay for this bike.

What would be a "good" deal?
    What would your absolute top dollar be given that it needs a little work but does come w/ kickstart and large capacity tank?
    Is it worth driving 3,000 miles just because I want a kickstart equipped model and like the colorway?
    Is there anything I should know about the 1990 model in particular? Any qualms or issues with that year?

Sorry for the long first post, just trying to cover all my bases. Let me know if there is any other info that might help in deciding what a good price would be to pay. I'm more in love with this TW than any of the others I've seen for sale so far, but I'm afraid his asking price is just a bit steep. I'll be (im)patiently waiting to hear from you guys as I sit here just itching to get to town on a TW of my own.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Welcome to the board …..

Your bike will need two new tires, inner tubes, wheel bearings, carb boots, the bit of plastic that sits on top of the swinging arm to stop the chain from rubbing that costs an arm and a leg and means dropping the swinging arm (sorry, don’t remember the technical name for it), seat cover, fork overhaul, cables – you can see where this is going …..

The price is right for a bike that has had all these replaced recently (in the last year), but for a non-runner that’s been sitting for years – No “flipping” way.

The good news is that all parts are readily available (unless you’re in Canada or Britain), and these bikes are fairly easy to work on.

But – (there’s always a “but” isn’t there) – Why would you consider a round trip of 3000 miles to pick up this bike ?

Because it’s ultimately your location that sets the price for this machine …….

(other than that - great colour choice -and no known problems with that year)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Welcome to the board …..

Your bike will need two new tires, inner tubes, wheel bearings, carb boots, the bit of plastic that sits on top of the swinging arm to stop the chain from rubbing that costs an arm and a leg and means dropping the swinging arm (sorry, don’t remember the technical name for it), seat cover, fork overhaul, cables — you can see where this is going …..

The price is right for a bike that has had all these replaced recently (in the last year), but for a non-runner that’s been sitting for years — No “flipping” way.

The good news is that all parts are readily available (unless you’re in Canada or Britain), and these bikes are fairly easy to work on.

But — (there’s always a “but” isn’t there) — Why would you consider a round trip of 3000 miles to pick up this bike ?

Because it’s ultimately your location that sets the price for this machine …….

(other than that - great colour choice -and no known problems with that year)
    The owner said it was last on the streets about a year ago, so it hasn't quite been sitting for years but it has been sitting. As far as distance, I'm always up for a little road trip, not to mention I'm a sucker for that sea foam colorway and none of the TW's for sale locally are old enough to come with kickstart.

I'm still curious though, what's a reasonable price to pay knowing that the things you mentioned above will need replacing?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How much is he asking for it?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    How much is he asking for it?
    2k, which isn't unbearable but I've seen a couple other 1990's with less miles/more upgrades sell for a bit less.
    Maybe those were just steals though?

Bro, I think he wants too much for it in non running condition. I wonder what tank he has on the bike now? I think that $1,100-$1,200 is about right. It is going to cost you a few hundred to get it all fixed up with new tires, tubes, and everything else you need. All said and done, with you fixing it and it running, you could probably only get $1,600-$1,800 for it if you sold it ready to go. I think he has to come down a lot, or keep looking. 3,000 miles in travel, food, lodging and gas is going to cost a lot. I would keep looking. Be patient. There has to be one closer to you somewhere.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by oilrunsthickerthanblood View Post
    The owner said it was last on the streets about a year ago, so it hasn't quite been sitting for years but it has been sitting. As far as distance, I'm always up for a little road trip, not to mention I'm a sucker for that sea foam colorway and none of the TW's for sale locally are old enough to come with kickstart.

I'm still curious though, what's a reasonable price to pay knowing that the things you mentioned above will need replacing?
    I'd be happier if it was going for 1200 (max) and the bike was just around the corner

I’d say about 500 bucks for replacement parts (give or take) depending on what you find once you’ve got her – on the other hand, you can ride it “as is” – it’d be a death trap, but it’s your choice. First things would be relatively “high spend” items, like the tires, tubes, and brake and clutch cables – there’s little point in going in after the carb without new carb boots (any carb problem that comes up on the board and the first thing we do is question the condition of the carb boots which can have a significant effect).

Say between 300 and 350 dollars for the above.

Colour matching that seat cover and fork gaiters is going to prove “tricky” – not impossible, but expect difficulties in finding them - others on here may be able to help you out with a few “links”.

Might be worth keeping an eye on this thread https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...slist-102.html for an alternative. A low mileage TW with a kicker should not be that hard to find at this time of the year – and if really want the colour, then it’s just the tank and a couple of side panels – you’ll be chasing down the seat cover and fork gaiters anyway.

As I said, it’s going to depend on what area you’re in, but the price he’s asking sounds high.

Give this post 24hrs to “soak in” – by then you should have the opinion of many others to go by – but I doubt that I’ll be far of the mark …….
    Last edited by Purple; 03-03-2016 at 04:53 AM.

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    How much of this work can you do yourself. Between the road trip and the parts and the labor and the downstoke on the purchase you can have about $3,500.00 tied up in this bike. You would be better of buying a practically new bike with next to no miles on it ($3,500.00-they are out there) and waiting for a parts bike with a kicker on it to come up. This deal is not the makings of a good story.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I'd be happier if it was going for 1200 (max) and the bike was just around the corner

Colour matching that seat cover and fork gaiters is going to prove “tricky” – not impossible, but expect difficulties in finding them - others on here may be able to help you out with a few “links”.

Might be worth keeping an eye on this thread https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...slist-102.html for an alternative. A low mileage TW with a kicker should not be that hard to find at this time of the year – and if really want the colour, then it’s just the tank and a couple of side panels – you’ll be chasing down the seat cover and fork gaiters anyway.

As I said, it’s going to depend on what area you’re in, but the price he’s asking sounds high.

Give this post 24hrs to “soak in” – by then you should have the opinion of many others to go by – but I doubt that I’ll be far of the mark …….
    The seat and fork gaiters are already the seafoam, the seats just a little dirty. Least of my concerns honestly. I just really want that tank...

To discover the age of the tire - check out this link Unsafe Motorcycles: Motorcycle Tires: Age Matters

DOT number on sidewall with labels.jpg

Some of the "purists" on here recommend changing their rubber every 3 years - personally, I tend to agree with the above link and go for 5 or 6 years - after 10 years you're on "hard rubber", and considering that rubber is the only thing keeping the bike (and yourself) upright, it's a wise investment ......

- Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links