is 10k miles rebuild time generally?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    i miss my 04 tdub so much im looking at buying a 01 with 9800 miles this weekend, and im assuming its will be time to tear into it right away for reliability's sake?

thx

glassankles
    11 ninja 1000

You know, TW has a pretty study engine and I think you'd be ok putting on many more miles before a rebuild. I have rings put in my at 7,000 miles, just because the engine was apart. I wish I hadn't. Another break-in period....was hell. There are members here, or at least on the previous site that reached miles into and over 20,000 miles. QWERTY, I believe, has put over 40,000 on his, w/o a rebuild.

I say put the money into good tires, steering bearings or other mods you deem most appropriate. I'm sure your TW with 9,800 miles is in good health. Unless of course, if the oil was never changed

-Adam

thats good to hear, i will give it a test run and row it through all the gears.

could be fun to send it to Maxpower RPM's and see what kind of bore and stroke he could come up with, lol

thx
    11 ninja 1000

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
    thats good to hear, i will give it a test run and row it through all the gears.

could be fun to send it to Maxpower RPM's and see what kind bore and stroke he could come up with, lol

thx

If it's been taken care of and not badly thrashed it should be good for another 20,000 miles at least.

I just rebuilt my 07' at 30K miles. You will probably need a valve job before that so go ahead and do the rings when you do the valves. I had to bore mine because of scoring.

I did a valve job at 23k and now I'm doing the valves again at 30k because I have the engine apart for the rings.

If buying a used bike with all that mileage on it, I would rebuild it or have it rebuilt. You probably don't know the history of the bike. Besides that, you know you will have a dependable bike for a long time if maintained properly after the rebuild.
    2008 TW 200

2009 VW New Beetle

I just keep on dubbin'

Life is too short, never buy green bananas!

El Paso, Tx.

Being the frugal sort, after changing the oil and filter, I would set the valve clearances, and check the cylinder compression. If all is OK, I would ride it until it doesn't go anymore. Then think about a rebuild.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
    i miss my 04 tdub so much im looking at buying a 01 with 9800 miles this weekend, and im assuming its will be time to tear into it right away for reliability's sake?

thx

glassankles

10K until overhaul ---I sure hope not. If in doubt do a compression check on the bike, and ride it to see if it's running alright.

I don't know how many miles between overhaul on a TW200 but I have had many small displacement bikes and found that around 15-25,000 miles I get some noticeable piston slap and oil consumption starts to increase. When I don't like the rate of oil consumption I go to the first oversize set of piston and rings and bore out the cylinder.

I'm not sure how many miles for the valves 40-65,000 miles maybe - unless something strange happens before--I would guess that carbon build up and/or the springs getting weak over time would be common causes for a valve job. I plan to remove the head at 25,000 miles and look at the valves. I'm hoping that they (the valves) will last until I have to go to the second oversize of piston and rings. And bottom end should go over 100,000 miles--- I would guess.

But I don't see too many people putting those kinds of miles on these bikes and I don't know if I will live long enough to see that many miles either.

That's one persons wild assed guess based on my ownership of other small displacement bikes.

Do a good pre-buy inspection and good luck.

Mike

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

10k mile is just fine four these bike.i have owened all type of bike over the yers big too small and inbetwean,and also been werkin on them bikes both profeshenal four dollers and four hobby.i say 10k is no big deals at all.buy these bike and ride it to enjoy if price is good and it wat you want.

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

well it got sold because i was haggling to much, lol
    11 ninja 1000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links