Newbie to bikes & Newbie to TW200
Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Newbie to bikes & Newbie to TW200

Newbie to bikes & Newbie to TW200

Hello Everyone,

I've been tooling around with the idea of getting a dirt bike. I'm 44 years old, my wife and I have two sons 17 & 15. None of us have ever ridden. Two years ago we sold our pop-up trailer and bought a motorhome. While camping we've been looking for other things to do. Fishing is really not for us. When the kids were younger we were very heavy in the Jeeps and 4x4ing; living in Colorado that makes sense. Moab trips twice or even three times a year.

I'm short and round. 5'10", 250lbs. My kids are no taller, but luckily still skinny. My wife is 110lbs and 5"6". My wife is not to keen on the idea of us getting in to ridding. In fact she does not like the idea of us owning any type of motorcycle. She loves us and does not want us to get hurt,

I work about 3 miles from our house, all paved streets, nothing over 45mph speed limit. All the reading I'm doing tells me a TW200 is a great bike for us. We could take it camping, I could even ride it work during the summer.

QUESTION: Is the bike too small for someone of my "roundness"? I am 42 and only care slightly how I look on it, mostly when riding around our town. I know it sounds shallow, but am slightly concerned. Not concerned enough to go the gym mind you. While camping I could care less. The reading I've done says the motor will push me around fine. I don't really want to go 65+mph, for now

The plan would be for us to learn on this, maybe even get my wife to ride it once or twice. Riding is in her family and think she would love it once she did. We rented some ATVs once and I saw her smiling the enter time. Well until she saw me watching her then she put on the face of a concern parent immediately.

I could see the boys and I upgrading to something more powerful later. Meaning it's a good bike to start with, and probably end up keeping!?

My rider safety course is scheduled for Tuesday-Wednesday this week. It's spring break so I think I will try and take the 17 year old with me.

I'm thinking about purchasing new. There are only a few used on Craigslist. I can pick up a new 2015 for $3600.

QUESTION: Is there any advantage year over year? 2016 vs 2015. or even is 2015 vs 2006 or 2008?

Thanks,

I try to be a searcher when joining a new form.

Here are the link that I've saved already

OMG: Fat Tracker: Wolf Moto's chunky Yamaha TW200 | Bike EXIF

Best OFF ROAD ONLY mods for the TW - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

https://sites.google.com/site/bltoffroad/tw200

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-detailed.html

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...html#post38222

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ruck-ramp.html
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! I think your thread got flagged because of the links you included.

Welcome aboard John!
    Looks like you are on the right track...ask lotsa questions!
    Kudos for taking the MSF course, and including your son.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Buy one and plan to keep it forever. They are that good of a bike, especially for learning, wife's, kids or old geezers like me. Easy to learn on, very dependable good bikes. Buy any year you want to, except for perhaps an 87 first year model. The older ones have kick starters along with electric starting and its nice to have that in an emergency if the battery fails somewhere. Don't worry about your size one bit. There are guys way bigger than you here bro!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Hello and welcome! I think your thread got flagged because of the links you included.
    I own a VB forum and should have know better.
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

We don't want you to get hurt either!! Take the course, find a TW, and get good protective gear right off the bat. You can get hurt on a bicycle too! A TW is so much fun to ride at a leisurely pace, as anyone here over the age of 40 will testify. After you get a few miles under your belt, a VERY highly recommended book is http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot.../dp/1889540536

The key to being safe on the streets, even back streets, is awareness, and he does a good job of showing what to be aware of. Some of it is technical and of less interest to most. I had been riding on and off for 50 years and I learned stuff from it that I had never encountered......in fact, I ought to go re-read it before this season! Being safe in the dirt is easier: ride slowly! Learning to ride now is such a fun experience because of the Internet...there is SO much good advice out there....(along with horrible stupid stuff on YouTube that you should NEVER watch! ) I can't believe I taught myself to ride 50 years ago and lived through the experience! In fact, I now take the MSF refresher every two years.

We can steer you to dozens of good safety sites as you gain experience. Two things come immediately to mind: Get brush guards as soon as you buy the bike, you will dump it and break levers if you don't.....and don't take it out on I-25!!!

I went to CC, so I know the area pretty well. There are SO many great rides on decent FS roads in the Rampart Range....but you probably already know that.

If you can pick up a new 2015 for $3600 out the door, GRAB IT!!!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Don't let your size sway you away from a TW. I am 6'1" 300 lbs and it is a great bike. Only place I miss my bigger bikes is in the sandy stuff which I try and avoid on the TW anyway.
    JohnJohn and JerseyJeeper like this.
    07 TW200
    3 85 BW200's

From 2001 right through to 2016 all TWs are basically the same. 1988-2000 and they came with drum front brake and the kick start with electric start and a different carb and electrical system. 1987 is all by it's lonesome with an inferior electric system but otherwise the same. Almost all the parts from any year are interchangeable, ALMOST, so ask before you buy some things. Any TW200 that has a model designation with a C at the end as in TW200 TC is a California model where the same year with the number TW200 T is a non Cal. Model numbers are on the neck behind the fork triple trees and you can also find the build date there. A bike built in the later part of say 1998 could be a 1999 model year. I think it is around August or September when they start making the next model year bikes.
    The year bike you buy is up to you but condition and miles is the most important factor once you decide if you want the kick start or front disc brake model. The kick can be swapped from an older engine into a newer one if that is important to you. You can also swap all the parts for the front disc brake upgrade on to any TW. Basically a low mile, showroom condition 2006 is worth just as much as a low mile, showroom condition 2012 and you will be hard pressed to find any substantial difference.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

My 17 year old and completed our first day of Motorcycle Certification here in Colorado. We were both lucky enough to have 2015 TWs as our trading in bikes. TWs are perfect for us beginners, and I do see me keeping them in the family for a while.

Dealer has these bikes for sale. Under 400 miles on each of them. $3599. New ones are $1000 more. Since these are trainers, probably not ever ridden over 25mph, but probably had the clutch dumped and the gears shifted wrong a couple hundred times. Is the $1000 savings worth it or could too many things be wrong down the road, that would make it not such a good deal?
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    My 17 year old and completed our first day of Motorcycle Certification here in Colorado. We were both lucky enough to have 2015 TWs as our trading in bikes. TWs are perfect for us beginners, and I do see me keeping them in the family for a while.

Dealer has these bikes for sale. Under 400 miles on each of them. $3599. New ones are $1000 more. Since these are trainers, probably not ever ridden over 25mph, but probably had the clutch dumped and the gears shifted wrong a couple hundred times. Is the $1000 savings worth it or could too many things be wrong down the road, that would make it not such a good deal?

Hell yes it is worth the savings. Truly new riders could not be as hard on these bikes as some of the veterans on this forum! Yet the TW's seem to take the abuse and ask for more.

Tom
    JohnJohn and littletommy like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links