What were your first infulences?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: What were your first infulences?

What were your first influences?

While posting on another thread I thought about what first got me interested in motorcycles. First off my dad was a bike enthusiast so he was my first influence but what fine tuned my enthusiasm was watching the TT races my dad took me to at Ascot Park in the late 50's early 60's. I always pictured myself down on the track racing. I lived close to Joe Koons motorcycle shop in Long Beach CA and spent lots of time in the back looking at the used bikes and watching Jack Simmons who worked as a mechanic. He also kept his race bikes there and those bikes were the most awesome thing my adolescent mind could imagine. Now if I could just get my T-Dub to look like this...

scan0056.jpg

Jack Simmons with Joe Koons and BSA reps.

What are your first influences?
    Last edited by Beeline; 03-23-2016 at 04:08 PM.

For me it was the Honda Trail CT110. I was always drawn to that little 'dual sport scooter'. Never got one though. By the time I finally bought my first bike 30+ years later (in 2015), my small-bike desire had matured into the mighty TW200.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Aside from pretty much every kid in my town having a mini-bike or motorcycle, (Me green with envy!) it was the movie "On Any Sunday!" Seeing that on the big screen as a very impressionable youth did it for me, & I'll bet a bunch of others too. m.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It was mini bikes for me and then a Honda 50. Even as a kid, after that first couple rides, I knew bikes would be a part of my life forever.

I still get the same thrill I did as a kid whenever I get to ride a bike. I've never lost that love for riding and never will. As long as I can get on a bike and have a toe that can shift it, I'll ride until my last day on earth.

50+ years and still loving it like I was a kid.
    Last edited by littletommy; 03-23-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Harley Momma.JPGPam for Facebook cropped.jpgM&D.png

Who and want influenced me?

Thank you for asking.

My Dad, he rode a Harley 74 in 1952-54 from Champaign, IL to New London, CT while in the Navy. Here's a photo of him and Mom on his bike in 1952.

My Mom, because she's still hot at 87 setting on my Harley Nightster.

My wife because she prayed and the Father God told her to give me $25,000.00 in cash for our 25th wedding anniversary to buy any bike I wanted. I had never ridden a motorcycle and I was 45 years old. I've owned 30 bikes in the last near ten years and spent way more than that on them. Very gracious lady. Very good God!

My influences are both earthly and eternal that I believe motorcycles are a gift to mankind from God.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much
    Smiles and laughs a lot
    Loves dogs and cats too

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dub Ken View Post
    Harley Momma.JPGPam for Facebook cropped.jpgM&D.png

Who and want influenced me?

Thank you for asking.

My Dad, he rode a Harley 74 in 1952-54 from Champaign, IL to New London, CT while in the Navy. Here's a photo of him and Mom on his bike in 1952.

My Mom, because she's still hot at 87 setting on my Harley Nightster.

My wife because she prayed and the Father God told her to give me $25,000.00 in cash for our 25th wedding anniversary to buy any bike I wanted. I had never ridden a motorcycle and I was 45 years old. I've owned 30 bikes in the last near ten years and spent way more than that on them. Very gracious lady. Very good God!

My influences are both earthly and eternal that I believe motorcycles are a gift to mankind from God.
    Way cool bro. Just wanted to mention, I love your signature at the bottom of your posts too.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    My first influences...?
    Well, I had a super hot red-haired babysitter when I was small..... That damn near ruined me right there, I tell ya.

Anyway...
    As to motorcycles..
    Living next door to us was a true Biker named Stan. Thinking back, he must have had a pre 65 Electra-Glide. I remember him showing me how to start it and helping me to try to kick it. I was all of 5 years old, and I just stood there on the kick pedal and the arm didn't even move. Stan got a good laugh out of it and said that since I couldn't start it, I should get involved with cars instead.
    My mother was dead set against motorcycles, as she witnessed an accident of another motorcyclist while on the back of her friend's. The guy was decapitated by a cable that was stretched across the road to block a construction site (I95 near Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx). Years ago, they didn't barricade projects like today.
    So, I was forbidden to have a motorcycle, ear ring, or tattoos.
    The ear ring thing came and went in the 80's
    The tattoos started when I turned 50
    And I have always had many bikes.
    When asked why I have so many bikes, I say "Because it isn't a collection if you only have one".
    The bike I always wanted was a CT-90. I have 2 now.

Mostly doing cars growing up, the bike thing rehit me about 20 years ago.
    Today, the collection runs from a mint 71 CT70 to a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited. Still have a couple of cars too.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    The fruit never falls far from the tree... my old man and the crew he rode with... and Steve McQueen!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My neighbors 2 houses over owned the Yamaha shop (and Lincoln Mercury) downtown. I remember the 16 year old kid 8 years older than me coming home and riding the Big Bear Scrambler up and over the banks between our houses almost every day. He was fearless on that thing.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

My Father had a blue Honda 305. I sat on it everyday and couldn't wait to learn to ride it. Before I could ride it it had some catastrophic failure and I was forced to learn on his Honda 160 Dream. One day I was down on the beach not far from my house and met a kid my age riding a Honda Z-50. He let me try it and I was hooked. I told my Dad I that I wanted a mini-bike. He said don't get a mini-bike get a motorcycle. He also said that he is not buying it. I worked my ass off to make the money and when I did he took me to pick up my 1973 Kawasaki G5-100. I have not been without at least one motorcycle since. More than 40 years later I also still ride regularly with the kid on the Z-50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links