TW-sized rack for back of travel trailer
Close

Any suggestions for a rack to carry a TW on the back of a travel trailer or motor home?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobopoet View Post
    Any suggestions for a rack to carry a TW on the back of a travel trailer or motor home?

I'm using an Ultimate MXHauler on the back of my Jeep. Need a receiver hitch to hold it. I've got several hundred miles and have talked with several owners who have thousands on theirs. Great lifting rack.

John

Interesting! I wonder if the rear bumper on a travel trailer can properly support a receiver?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm not an expert nor have I tried to put anything on the back of a travel trailer, but I think some caution is advised due to center of gravity and distribution of weight. Here are a couple of examples from my dad and a friend.

My dad mounted a bicycle rack and bike to the back of his travel trailer. When he went down the road, the camper started fishtailing. Guess he knew what was wrong, and moved heavier items from the back to the front inside the trailer. This stopped the fishtailing. A friend also mounted a rack to the back of his camper to store coolers, fuel tanks, etc. Started down the road and had the fishtailing experience like my dad. He too had to move things towards the front of the camper to stop the fishtailing.

I'm sure it has, and can be done, but might want to check it out to see if it will work.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I'm not an expert nor have I tried to put anything on the back of a travel trailer, but I think some caution is advised due to center of gravity and distribution of weight. Here are a couple of examples from my dad and a friend.

My dad mounted a bicycle rack and bike to the back of his travel trailer. When he went down the road, the camper started fishtailing. Guess he knew what was wrong, and moved heavier items from the back to the front inside the trailer. This stopped the fishtailing. A friend also mounted a rack to the back of his camper to store coolers, fuel tanks, etc. Started down the road and had the fishtailing experience like my dad. He too had to move things towards the front of the camper to stop the fishtailing.

I'm sure it has, and can be done, but might want to check it out to see if it will work.

That makes sense to me. I'm looking at small travel trailers - not much more than 2500# dry, so I know I could easily unbalance the whole rig with 300# of TW on the back bumper.

Here's my Set up. Bike Rack on the back of my Zinger Trailer. Will actually hold and carry a KLR650. works great. Will try to post how I did it. Was a welding project. 2 Ea. Receiver Hitches welded and bolted to the frame.
    Randy Myers

Suzuki RL250 Trials-Sold-Miss this one....

'07 TW200-Sold

'02 BMW R1150R-sold

'00 KLR 650-sold

'06 Honda Big Ruckus-Sold

"08 Honda Ruckus

"13 CRF250L

Shawnee,OK.

OK, Better. Have the Store bought bike rack that goes into a regular 2in. Receiver hitch. This trailer has a great frame that extends past the body. Was able to weld, and bolt 2 Axle/Shackle bolts to be supported by the frame, not just the bumber. Never hauled the R1150, but works with the KLR, and great with the TW200. Hope this Sparks an Idea.
    Randy Myers

'07 TW200-Sold

'02 BMW R1150R-sold

'00 KLR 650-sold

"08 Honda Ruckus

"13 CRF250L

Shawnee,OK.

Apoligize for the Double Post....Still working on Posting pictures......Yea!!!

OK, Here's mine. Been there for over 6000 miles. Everywhere from Big Bend, to Colorado, and back Home. No Issues. did add a 3ft. Driveway reflector to the left side rail. That way I can keep an eye on everything in my Mirror.
    Randy Myers

'07 TW200-Sold

'02 BMW R1150R-sold

'00 KLR 650-sold

"08 Honda Ruckus

"13 CRF250L

Shawnee,OK.

Quote Originally Posted by carmwes View Post

Here's my Set up. Bike Rack on the back of my Zinger Trailer. Will actually hold and carry a KLR650. works great. Will try to post how I did it. Was a welding project. 2 Ea. Receiver Hitches welded and bolted to the frame.

That's exactly what I envisioned! I will look forward to more details. Thanks!

Sponosred Links