Cycleracks Installation
Close

Hello all---a newbie and first time poster here:

Newbie in that I've waited my entire life to get on two wheels---my wife and I have come to a mutual agreement that this desire just CANNOT be stifled, and that the best way is to get out in these beautiful Appalachian Mountains here in Virginia and ride some trails!! Can't think of a better bike to do it on than the T-Dub. I will be buying late year or early next year once I have some cash in hand.

On the post: I've seen many discussions here as to the best rack system. From what I've seen, it certainly looks as though the Cycleracks rack has the winning vote. My question is whether the installation is straightforward, and if any necessary hardware is included. The Cycleracks site says nothing of installation, and as I'm planning my perfect steed, these are the questions I need to know the answers to!

I would appreciate any tidbits, no matter how brief, as to the ease or experience with installation regarding this rack.

Many thanks!

Everything is included and it is delightfully straightforward.

Terrific rack!

John

Wow, great to hear. Thanks very much for that response! Can't wait to land that T-dub!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

royalman,

cyclerack's are the best. I bought mine used off of a member so nothing in the line of directions really came with it but it was easy to install. Only thing is, if you plan on keeping your rear footpegs (which is where the cyclerack bolts in at) you're gonna need a longer bolt, which you can pick up at yamaha dealer. good luck on your hunt for the TW....

You'll have to remove your seat and then remove two other bolts under the seat. You use these bolts to secure the rack under the seat. Two longer bolts are included to replace the ones on your passenger pegs. You may need to tweak the rack a bit to get it to line up to the passenger peg holes. The rack is made correctly, its just a tight fit. Let us know if you need help, I'll take some pictures for you if you want.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

One good tip is to attach the seat bolts first...then the other bolts for the rack....

Quote Originally Posted by NumberThree View Post
    One good tip is to attach the seat bolts first...then the other bolts for the rack....

+1
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

actually, a good tip is to just get the bolts under the seat started about 4 turns in, then line up and install the bolts at the foot pegs. Once all the bolts are started, easier to do with things flopping around, run the smaller bolts snug, then the bigger bolts, then tighten the smaller bolts, then tighten the bigger bolts. It is amazing how sometimes the order bolts are installed and tightened makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    actually, a good tip is to just get the bolts under the seat started about 4 turns in, then line up and install the bolts at the foot pegs. Once all the bolts are started, easier to do with things flopping around, run the smaller bolts snug, then the bigger bolts, then tighten the smaller bolts, then tighten the bigger bolts. It is amazing how sometimes the order bolts are installed and tightened makes a big difference.

Excellent point! I was trying to remember the struggle I had installing the rack a couple of years ago; it was tightening things before all the bolts were in.

Alittle tight, is a massive understatement.I've read the various posts on this racks install and tried all the different install techniques....this morning I spent about an hour wrestling this SOB prior to going off to work....still not installed!. Had the cyclerack,rack on a different make of bike a few years ago....pretty easy install;on this TW,it's a major PIA.One more attempt when I get home at the continued install,if this continues to be a problem,back to Idaho it goes!!!!!!!!!.

Sponosred Links