My Trailer - Questions
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: My Trailer - Questions

My Trailer - Questions

Next week I'll be picking up two TW200s. I'm trying to decide about trailer options. I have a trailer that I made from a Jeep Comanche short bed, see photos below. I don't have any reservation about the welding job, or the quality of the trailer. My concern is more about loading, the height of the weight above the axle, and other logistics I may not be thinking about.

Inside dimensions = 73.7"(+ tailgate) length x 55" wide x 40" tall. The tall restriction is due to the kayak rack I made out of a truck bed ladder rack from Home Depot. I can remove that, or extend the height of it if need be.

a) Yamaha's site lists the TW200 height at 44.1", but I assume that is with mirrors. Can anyone confirm that the height without mirrors?

b) Will two bikes fit in this width? I've never own a motorcycle before and am unsure how the double bike tie down process works.

c) by my calculations the back tire should sit on the truck bed, inside the tailgate. However 9" of the bike, according to Yamaha's 82.3" length measurement, will require the tailgate to be down. Probably mostly the edge of the rear tie and the license plate area.

d) I want to be able to carry the kayaks and the bikes. Am I crazy for wanting to carry my bikes in this? Should I sell this and buy a real trailer?

Thanks

IMG_5514.jpgIMG_5516.jpg
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    *WARNING Newbie Post Above

Hidden Content Hidden Content

44 inches would be without mirrors. Buy some different mirrors that fold up and can be moved.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    44 inches would be without mirrors. Buy some different mirrors that fold up and can be moved.
    bummer, my kayak rack is 40" I'll have to raise that up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    a) Yamaha's site lists the TW200 height at 44.1", but I assume that is with mirrors. Can anyone confirm that the height without mirrors?

b) Will two bikes fit in this width? I've never own a motorcycle before and am unsure how the double bike tie down process works.

c) by my calculations the back tire should sit on the truck bed, inside the tailgate. However 9" of the bike, according to Yamaha's 82.3" length measurement, will require the tailgate to be down. Probably mostly the edge of the rear tie and the license plate area.

d) I want to be able to carry the kayaks and the bikes. Am I crazy for wanting to carry my bikes in this? Should I sell this and buy a real trailer?

Thanks
    a: That is height without mirrors.
    b:Only if you put them back to front.
    c: Get a bed extender....it's a barrier that goes around the outside of the lowered tailgate.
    d: I don't see how you could do this with two bikes in there, unless those racks are taller than they look in the pics. Easy to figure that one out. High CG probably isn't an issue unless you get blindsided by a sharp corner.

My guess is that after you struggle with trying to load and tie down the bikes back to front a few times you will want a nice covered 6X8 Utility trailer! I have a 5x8 covered trailer purchased specifically for the bikes but I have to put the TW in backwards when the BMW is in there. It's really difficult when I'm alone and real awkward to tie down backwards. My floor is only 16" off the ground and it has a back door ramp. It serves a a garage and security parking whenever I'm on a trip.

As far as tiedowns, get some good quality ratcheting ones and some nylon webbing loops so as not to scar the attach points, and some folding heavy duty rings for the floor. You want to be able to go over a whoop-de-do at 65 mph with the trailer airborne....I guarantee it will happen to you someday!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post

Thanks

IMG_5514.jpgIMG_5516.jpg
    I believe that you can fit two TW's into this trailer, but it will be bit tricky getting them in and out. Here are my suggestions:

-Get a long ramp or have some strong helpers. The tailgate looks pretty high for rolling or hoisting TW's into the bed.

-You may want to consider removing the rear ladder rack for your initial trip. This will only serve to complicate getting the bikes into and out of the trailer.

-Your bed in pretty narrow, similar to my Ranger, so you will probably have to load the first bike in head first, and the second one tail first. Otherwise, the handlebars will interfere with each other.

-There's nothing super scientific about how to tiedown two bikes, but without a center tiedown point it is often difficult to get straight shots to the tiedown points on the sides of the bed, resulting in straps that have to contact the bikes and potentially causing damage to the bikes and or the straps.

-Since you will not be able to close the tailgate, plan on going overboard with redundant tiedowns to ensure you don't look in your mirror and see one of your new TW's bouncing down the road behind you.

Like I said, I think it can be done but this little trailer is less than ideal.

I hope this helps,

Brian

I can probably sell this for $1500. The Jeep JK guys drool over it every time I have it parked somewhere.

That would buy me a more than adequate trailer.
    littletommy, Fred, LuvNot and 2 others like this.

6 x 10 trailer. I got it used for just about $1500.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

I bought a TW in AZ. Hauled it home in a Dodge Caravan. Didn't have to do anything but remove mirrors. Used an automotive ramp (like to change oil) to load it. You could lower front by slipping forks up in triple clamps, deflate tires, whatever it takes. Four inches isn't much.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

John, you have a very nice trailer but it seems less than optimal for the stated purpose. Either sell it and get a lower, larger, lighter trailer with a custom add-on kayak rack, or be prepared to deal with removing kayaks and rack when you wish to load/unload TWs. Certainly if you remove rear rack you should be able to load and transport the bikes when you pick them up next week if you have ramps and tie down locations and rope,cam lock or ratchet tie-down. With your trailer's height I tend to recommend two ramps, one for the bike and one for you to walk on while you guide each bike up ramp.
    I use a pair of these $20 brackets and some bed-length 2x8s for my truck. Brackets available from Walmart, Home Depot and many other vendors. I can get two bikes in an older Toyota Hi-lux both facing forward even through truck bed has a somewhat constrictive Rack-It lumber rack and both TWs have wide-hips with Cycleracks. So you may get away with loading both bikes conveniently forward facing.
    Good Luck!lund_ramp_kit_attached.jpg
    P.S. If in doubt rent or borrow a different trailer for the initial retrieval of new bikes. Once home you can optimize what you have or decide on a better long term solution.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-27-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    LuvNot likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Welcome to the site. You will come to find that coming to me for advice is like going to Ted Kennedy for a driving lesson. This is what I would do. Start from here- You have the wrong trailer for the job, but it is the best trailer for you because it is your only trailer. Get rid of the rack. Put one TW in the trailer with at least two ratchet straps. Cock the rear end over about 30 degrees, pinch it in with the tailgate, and call it good. Then put a hitch on the back of the trailer and put a hitch mounted carrier on the back. Dismiss the idea of two bikes in that trailer.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links