Bike insurance regulations ......
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Bike insurance regulations ......

Question Bike insurance regulations ......

How does bike insurance work over in the States ?

Over here (for road use) you have to have it “or else” – and we can get insured for a particular bike, or pick up what’s called a “rider policy” which covers you for anything you swing a leg over.

The reason I’m asking, is that I’m running a “what if” scenario in my head about going to Moab next year (it’s all theoretical at the moment) – and it’s “the rules” over on your side that I don’t understand yet. For example, here you don’t need insurance off road, but the moment your wheels touch highway tarmac – you do need it.

Given that are several miles of said “tarmac” around Moab, I’m thinking that this needs to be taken into account, and then there’s the “rules” in the park itself.

Specific to Moab and the surrounding area, any insight you can give would be gratefully received ……
    TWilight and LuvNot like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Insurance? What's that? We don't need no steenking insurance over here! As far as I know, there is no specific rule in National Parks about having insurance. However, the states do require at least liability insurance for any on road vehicle, which would cover any paved road within a Park. Since you must have a street legal vehicle to ride in a Park, I think that a ranger could conceivably ask you for your card, even in the dirt. I've never heard of it happening, though. I have my TW insured for liability only, at about $65 a year, but the BMW gets full coverage.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 03-28-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Purple and TWilight like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I have to buy insurance for each vehicle. It covers me or anyone that uses it. It also covers me if I use someone else's vehicle. Does the "rider policy" cover you if you are in another country like France? If yes, then maybe it would cover you here too.
    TWilight and Purple like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Purple, someone is going to loan you a bike, correct? I think the liability will be covered by their insurance policy. You should look into temporary health insurance in case you are injured. I would be more than happy to loan you a TW for your visit, except it would be in Rhode Island and its a long ride from here to Moab....

PS. the liability insurance on a TW200 is very low. At least for me, a gentleman of a certain age, whom the insurance company does not expect to be a danger to the community on a 200cc motorcycle. I pay $50/ per year per bike or less.
    Last edited by Rhodetrip; 03-28-2016 at 09:19 AM.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

You should be covered by the owners policy if you borrow a bike. Each state has different laws for your drivers license and compulsory coverage for your motorcycle. Just verify that the bike has coverage before you ride it. Rhode trip nailed it! Buy temporary (travel) health covergae, get coverage for medical transport as well, as I have had friends injured outside of their home country. The expense can be extreme and the problems can be huge with transportation back home.
    TWilight, LuvNot, Purple and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat twinges View Post
    get coverage for medical transport as well, as I have had friends injured outside of their home country. The expense can be extreme and the problems can be huge with transportation back home.
    That's a good point. We have a Medjet policy, but that was mainly bought with Mexico in mind. I've heard the Moab hospital is very good with injuries.
    TWilight and Purple like this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Still thinking about which / who’s bike. Thanks to the generosity of this forum, I have no doubt that you guys could come up with something, and although (in the event) I could cover the cost of “writing it off” – that’s little compensation for having someone’s “pride and joy” on my conscience.

danger_cliff_faller1.jpg

I think there’s something to be said for me simply buying a bike (by proxy) – they’re a lot cheaper your way – almost half price – and Craigs list is full of them if you have the time to wait (which I do). (By comparison, a “fully sorted” TW costs around 3500 dollars over here in the UK, regardless of the year).

The implication of doing it that way, is that I could choose the year, the mods etc, (I’m a picky kind of guy), and having the bike fully sorted out, then there only remains the issue of transport. Should the bike subsequently “survive” both me and Moab, then it could be used as a “loaner” for anyone else who needs it. So instead of me temporarily borrowing a bike from someone else, we all get to use it as and when we need it.

This would still require some help from over there, both in the purchase and the work required, but the costs involved would be covered (by myself). But I figure that if we ended up with a “forum bike” at the end of it, then that cost from me, and the efforts of “you” over there can be justified. Hell, give the thing to Fred for a couple of weeks (next time his explodes) – if it can survive that, then it can survive anything.

All of this is just theoretical at this point, just exploring ideas as they form. But I figure that doing it this way means that my selfishness can at least be offset by giving others the opportunity to contribute their time and effort to the project, and by doing so, we can all use this bike to help out others in need.

(your comments about health insurance has not fallen on deaf ears either) …….
    Last edited by Purple; 03-28-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I WISH I could get a "rider" policy!

All these bikes, and I have to get insurance for each one. Boo!
    The only rider is ME. Why should I have to have a different policy for each bike?
    Yes, I understand that some of the newer bikes should have fire and theft, etc.

It should just be a base policy and particular additions for listed bikes.

Being of a certain age... I pay about 40 per bike for liability.

Here in the lovely state of Massachusettstan i have to insure each of my bikes separately to get a plate for them. My Tw's cost ~300 per year for the bare minimum insurance. My Ducati is close to a grand. FWIW i have a spotless driving record, its just expensive here in Mass.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Heck, I've got a loaner bike sitting in my garage.

I think you add complications by buying one. However, some states will allow you to register the bike without having a permanent address there. I think what you would find, though, is whoever acts as your proxy will end up having to register the bike using their address for you if only just for simplicity's sake. I doubt that you want to spend the first few days of your visit exploring the American motor vehicle bureaucracy.
    BTW, there is an expat Brit on ADVrider who specializes in this kind of thing:

He goes by "Tuckers" on ADV
    James and Colleen Tucker.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    DMV work/insurance/registration/titles/address use/room rental/motorbike&vehicle buying/travelers help/problems solved

Edited to add: I know of Tuckers because I have been interested in Wheatwacker who provides a similar service in Ireland. https://www.facebook.com/motofeirme
    The problem for me is that TW200's are very scarce in Ireland. I think it would be easier for me to ship a pair than try to purchase there.
    Last edited by Rhodetrip; 03-28-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Purple likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links