New Tdub owner as of 4/6, just saying "Hi!"
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: New Tdub owner as of 4/6, just saying "Hi!"

New Tdub owner as of 4/6, just saying "Hi!"

Hello fellow TW200 fans! Just thought I'd say hello. This is my very first post on this forum. This will be the 2nd forum I hope to be active on. I'm currently active on a Polaris Slingshot forum also. A little about myself...

I'll be 60 later this year (still a young pup! ). I have ridden motorcycles all of my life. Mostly, I've been a HD guy for my street bikes but have owned other brands as well (1936 Indian, BSA, BMW, etc.). My more recent enduros that I've owned include a Yamaha XT250 & a Kawasaki KLR650. I've never been a hardcore dirt rider, just like to get out in nature, away from it all. My back is not in great shape these days (have had back surgery) so the heavy "Glide" Harleys were becoming a problem - not the act of riding itself but the slow parking lot maneuvers (you know, trying to back a 800 pound beast type of stuff). So, got rid of everything & started over. My street ride is now a 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL LE in nuclear sunset orange color, heavily farkled now. LOVE that thing!!!

For mellow off-roading & a trip for milk, beer, whatever I bought a 2016 TW200 this past Wednesday (4/6). Back when I bought the 2008 XT250 I was waffling back & forth between it & a Tdub. As much as I loved the XT250, should've bought the Tdub. It suits my needs much better for my intended usage. I live in the desert southwest & ride in a lot of loose sand. Was out yesterday & today on this new toy & it's a HUGE improvement over the XT in this terrain/environment. The XT would hold the advantage for highway speeds though.

Farkles I've already ordered & am anxiously awaiting: Jimbo windscreen (neon edge glow light blue), luggage rack from Immix Racing, Givi E300NT2 top case, Coleman seat pad, Acerbis Tri-Fit handguards (black) & a mini Yamaha handlebar crossbar pad. I'll get the plug out of the carb soon to gain access to the idle mixture richness screw like I did on the XT.

Things I'm considering for down the road (after 1000 miles): NGK Iridium plug, K&N airfilter, full synthetic oil (probably the Mobil One 10w40 racing). I am requesting feedback/thoughts on this...

I am mechanically capable of performing my own maintenance but will have (only) the 1st service done by the dealer. Have already seen how to adjust valves, etc.

First thing I did after getting the bike home from the dealer was remove all of the ugly & obnoxious warning stickers plastered all over an otherwise beautiful machine. After tires cooled down, checked air pressure & both were at 35 psi!!! WTH?! Morons... Explains why it was like driving a brick home.

Well, I've rambled enough. Looking forward to all the good tips & advice I know you'll share with me. Thanks in advance for that!!!

Oh, one more thing! Where's the best deal on a service manual? Downloaded a free pdf for the older TW200E. The 2016 is a TW200G1.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by Tripod; 04-09-2016 at 02:12 AM.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits...

Welcome Tripod I'm sure you'll fit right in here on this forum. I've been hanging out here for a couple years now and these guys have damn near made me an expert on my TW.
    I see your familiar with pilot screws set yours at 2.5 turns and your done. Have a great day of riding
    Rick

Sounds like you have a great plan. I love that oil in my bike BTW. Remember that the rear rack area is only made to support 7 lbs, the sub-frame is very weak and they do break when overloaded. Things also to consider are a better front tire. I would definitely put on a O-Ring or X-Ring chain right out of the gate, you won't regret it. Change oil frequently during its first 1500 miles or so, but it sounds like you already have read up around here... Member PlacerLoad "might" have a service manual. Send him a Personal Message.

O, and Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the bike, I really like that 2016 blue!

photographer? we like pics!
    welcome to the forum, lots of helpful people. enjoy your bike.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Welcome to the madhouse. Sounds like you've had lots of experience with on and off roading. In addition to Littletommy's suggestion of front tire and chain, I think you might benefit from a "real" bash plate. The original is junk, just for show. IMO.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Greetings from NY. As far as the service manual goes, anything from 2001 on up will be the same as your bike.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

And this is why I like forums! Thanks for the warm welcome, I truly appreciate that! I also appreciate all of the helpful advice & tips - good stuff! Keep the advice coming, no matter how seemingly trivial. I'm never too old to learn & you longtime owners know this machine so much better than I do. So joeband says everyone likes pics. I mentioned my Slingshot in my introduction, here's a couple pics of it...

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits...

Welcome Tripod. I picked up a 2016 TW about three weeks ago although this is the 4th TW I've owned. I also ride a 2013 Glide and have three dirt bikes and a quad. When it comes to pure fun I always pick the TW.
    Tripod and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2016 TW200

Welcome Tripod. Love the Slingshot. Is that considered a car in NM? Buy tabs and have a valid driver's license? Or is there an endorsement needed?
    Tripod and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links