'Nuther Noob
Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By Skooter
  • 2 Post By Skooter

Thread: 'Nuther Noob

'Nuther Noob

Hey folks, got my new 2015 on Tuesday and really enjoying it. 52 yrs old and been riding almost 10 years. The progression has been Honda Rebel 250, Honda Shadow 750, KLR650, KLX250S, 1975 Honda CB360, and the one I'm currently enjoying and hope to keep for many years is a 2012 Ninja 650 rigged out for sport-touring. Since moving to AZ I realized there's a lot more dirt roads and BLM lands than expected and I'm dying to get out there.

The KLX250 was great but always felt it exceeded my dirt skills, so I sold it to build some savings $. As for the KLR, fuggetabout it!! Extremely topheavy. I ain't tall enough. Back in those dualsport days I always had my eye on the TW. Seemed perfect for me and after riding one for the past few days I've learned that it is.

Everybody luvs pics so here ya go:
    TW1.jpgTW2.jpg
    Tripod, TWilight, Darth and 4 others like this.

Welcome Skooter, nice looking bike!

What mods do you have planned?

For now it's the cyclerack and Dowco tailbag as pictured. Then jetting and needle shimming once a few hundred miles on the clock. As confidence builds perhaps a skidplate but for now the stock plate will work for mild trails. Oh yeah, sprocket(s) once I see how she does at 60. Have always enjoyed pushing slow machinery fast rather than the other way around. Rode my buddy's CBR1000 a few weeks ago and it does 80 with throttle barely cracked open! What's the challenge in that?

Will probably install handguards after I break the first lever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome Skooter,

Congrats on your TW purchase, great choice!

Removed pilot plug this afternoon; factory set one turn out. Gave it another turn for a total of 2 turns out and will see if/how it starts cold in the morning without choke.
    TWilight and Fred like this.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new ride!

I have a KLX250s. I recently upgraded to a 351 kit, it really needed it, and completely transforms the bike!

I used to own a Ninja 650r, I out about 35k on that bike. It's the one bike to this day I regret selling. What a fun, comfortable, economical bike to own. On trips that stuck to 55mph roads I'd get over 70 mpg on that bike!

I'm loving the TW and can't wait to put some miles on it. Coming off a KLX how do you like the TW? I'm keeping my KLX, but think they can serve different purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhoundrich View Post
    I'm loving the TW and can't wait to put some miles on it. Coming off a KLX how do you like the TW? I'm keeping my KLX, but think they can serve different purposes.
    Liked the KLX a lot but got rid of it for two reasons- had a KLR for dirt when needed, and the KLX seat was like sitting on a 2x4. Seriously, I was shifting bony butt cheeks after only 20-30 minutes Most of the time I rode street with it anyway. It had a very light and nimble feel and always thought the SF motard version woulda been a blast! TW has a great seat for its size. TONS better than the DR200. Also wanna stay upright, realizing that going down is somewhat part of the dirt riding experience, I'll still try to minimize it when possible--and nothing beats the TW in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    For now it's the cyclerack and Dowco tailbag as pictured. Then jetting and needle shimming once a few hundred miles on the clock. As confidence builds perhaps a skidplate but for now the stock plate will work for mild trails. Oh yeah, sprocket(s) once I see how she does at 60. Have always enjoyed pushing slow machinery fast rather than the other way around. Rode my buddy's CBR1000 a few weeks ago and it does 80 with throttle barely cracked open! What's the challenge in that?

Will probably install handguards after I break the first lever.
    Hand guards keep the cholla cactus from your hands. We just pretend they are for wind and cold weather. You've got good logic for choosing the TW. I've put over 9000 miles on mine and have never looked back to justify its purchase. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    Liked the KLX a lot but got rid of it for two reasons- had a KLR for dirt when needed, and the KLX seat was like sitting on a 2x4. Seriously, I was shifting bony butt cheeks after only 20-30 minutes Most of the time I rode street with it anyway. It had a very light and nimble feel and always thought the SF motard version woulda been a blast! TW has a great seat for its size. TONS better than the DR200. Also wanna stay upright, realizing that going down is somewhat part of the dirt riding experience, I'll still try to minimize it when possible--and nothing beats the TW in that regard.
    Spending any long period of time on the KLX seat would have me spilling sensitive government secrets to get off of it! I put an ATV seat cover on mine. I wouldn't call it comfortable, but it's significantly upgraded to tolerable!

I do find the TW set to be surprisingly adequate. It's a nice change from the norm in this segment.

Sponosred Links