• 1 Post By Gerry
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By pred
  • 1 Post By Devils Advocate
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By JoeH

Thread: Introduction / Rebuild Update

Introduction / Rebuild Update

Hey guys - Im new here, just wanted to introduce my self and give a update on the tw project Im working on.

Im 30 years old, living in Colorado but spent most of my life in Alaska. Ive been riding since I was 6 years old. My first bike was a mid 80's Honda Mini Trail 50. My identical twin brother had a identical honda as well. We'd rip around the gravel roads and trails around our house in ak. (not mine but the same bike)
    IMG_4558_op_680x510 2.jpg

When I was 12 my brother and I got Yamaha Big Wheel 200's that had belonged to my grandpa and uncle. again - this wasn't my bike but exactly like it.
    RiderFleet 005.jpg
    We had jobs at a green house a few miles from out house. We'd get off the bus, grab a bite, fire up the bikes and drive them to the greenhouse. One day we where riding through one stretch we always went full speed on, bordering a corn field. It was a dirt trail, mostly straight with some bumps and slight curves, nothing crazy. My brother was riding in front of me, got to the road and waited for me to get there to cross to the green house. I didn't show up so he went back down the trail a few hundred yards and found me unconscious with my bike on top of me. Some how I went over the handle bars and hit face first, the open face helmet didn't really do anything to cushion the impact. He blasted back to the green house and got my boss. My boss cleared the dirt that was packed in mouth that my teeth drug up as I was sliding down the trail and got me breathing again. The crash put me in a coma, the doctors told my parents that it was a bad one, worst they had seen. The two hemispheres of my brain actually went opposite ways on impact and tore right down the center. Basically I was going to die, never wake up, or wake up and be a vegetable the rest of my life. 4 days after the crash I started to wake up, I couldn't talk and was paralyzed on my entire right side. They looked in my mouth and realized that my tongue had swollen up so big that I couldn't talk and I had bite marks that almost went all the way through. The doc's where amazed that I woke up but said it would be a long recovery learning to walk and function again. Somehow I bounced back real fast and was able to leave the hospital 5 days later, a total of 9 days after the crash. I went back for a check up a few days later and that was that. I jumped back on the bike right away, not what the doctors wanted but my parents wanted me to get back in the saddle when I was ready and I WAS

Fast forward a few years, my wife and I where living in Sydney Australia. Walking down town I saw a unbelievable looking motorcycle drive through an intersection. I had no idea what it was, to me it looked like a sweet version of the Bat Bike! After some research I found out it was a custom TW by Dues Ex Machina. I was hooked on big wheeled yamaha's again. A few years later I found a tw here in colorado. Its such a fun motorcycle Im absolutely loving it. It reminds me of the Big Wheel 200 a lot and keeps that whole experience pretty fresh in my mind. The first thing I did to it aside from the typical maintenance was put a new shock under it from a Yamaha Blaster, added a couple inches of suspension and fits me a lot better now.

Last fall I was having some issues with the hose connecting my air intake to the carb so started to take it apart and just kept dis assembling. I got it down to just the motor and frame but couldn't get the swing arm pivot bolt out!

I wanted to build it out with an extended swing arm, remove the air box and battery box/electrical panel, cut off all the extra pieces on the frame, paint and clean everything up. I ended up deciding to put it back together with only a handful of mods, new tires and bars plus a few odds and ends. Its all ready good riding weather and I didn't want to be with out it any longer!

I also just picked up this 84 Yamaha RX50 for the wife. Its only 50cc but can cruise at 40mph so will be a good match for the tw. Its her first motorcycle and a great starter bike, having a blast teaching her to ride.
    RX50 copy.JPG

Here are a few pictures of tw coming back together
    _MG_4100.jpg
    _MG_4152 copy.jpg

Well this turned into a longer than expected post, just wanted to tell a bit of my story and get the ball rolling in this forum. Its the first forum I've ever joined and already learning a lot from it!

Thanks for reading guys, cheers

Wow, what a history. Welcome, and stay safe.....
    littletommy likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Welcome Joe!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

And wear a full face helmet !
    Its amazing how well a strong kid will heal !
    I dropped my first bike going 75, But amazingly I didn't get hurt,
    Just a long slide in 20* weather,
    Stay safe and keep the rubber side down!
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome Joe.

Nice bike, beautiful wife, that likes to ride motorcycles and a very, VERY photogenic dog.

What more could a man ask for?
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome!!
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks guys!

The full faced helmet is definitely a good call. I just got a new open face helmet but apparently my head is huge, its too small. If anyone is interested in a large flat black helmet let me know I think i need XL. its all that brain swelling haha

The funny thing is that my wife lived pretty close to where we lived when I was riding that honda 50 in elementary school, I rode past her house every once and a while on our excursions. Married her 14 years later! ha

Tala is my dogs name, very photogenic, VERY protective. We picked her up from a rescue a few years ago. Id like to ride with her at some point, trails in the mtns and stuff. So far its just bike rides. Which are typically fat tire bike rides
    IMG_1606.PNG

I have a lot of plans for the TW, getting her back together right now but plan on keeping it a work in progress.
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.

Sponosred Links