Stupid Fuel Can spout!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Stupid Fuel Can spout!

Stupid Fuel Can spout!

There is a brief vid forth coming of my ride through the everglades, sadly it wasn't as fun as I was hoping......part of the issue was this damn EPA or whatever regulated fuel can spout on the rotopax. Apparently, it's a one time use because I had only used it once before and now it didn't work at all.

TW200FUELCAN.jpg

Didn't know I had my picture taken until the photographer walked up and asked for my permission. I was out there last week in my 4runner and now it's all gone!!!!

N0013318093--520160410173359000.JPG
    Motorists stop to view the smoldering ruins of the historic Monroe Station on Sunday, April 10, 2016, in Ochopee, Fla. A fire destroyed the historic way station on the Tamiami Trail between Naples and Miami on Saturday night. It was one of a series of way stations built in the late 1920s after the opening of the Tamiami Trail to help travelers. (David Albers/Staff)
    Last edited by nunya; 04-10-2016 at 06:42 PM.

What happened?

Be careful. The gas will dissolve the adhesive from the tape and when it is atomized through the jets it could lead to clogging something up.

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    I dread using mine. In my very very early days on this site a guy was selling the "old style" rotopax jug. I was not smart enough to jump on the great deal and a give away price because I did not know better. When I got my set up (new style) I felt like posting a classified where I would gladly trade.

Can I retrofit the old spout to my new can or is it threaded different. 4 Wheel Parts sells both spout kits. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-...=ROTRX-SP-CONV

Just type in the word spout when you get there.
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 04-10-2016 at 07:04 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    What happened?

Be careful. The gas will dissolve the adhesive from the tape and when it is atomized through the jets it could lead to clogging something up.

Thought about that but didn't have a choice.

So what happened was this, I miscalculated the distance I was driving today, thinking it was about 115-ish miles turned into 142 miles. Not a huge deal, but I also thought I would get about 70+ mpg, since that's about what I have been getting, but I'm wondering if riding at 60+mph is not such a good idea. I had to hit reserve at 67 miles AND I filled it within 3/4 of the tank opening. So that picture was about 5-10 miles on reserve, then realizing I had a 60+ mile ride back, unsure of where any gas stations were. Anywho.....I get to that spot to throw in the 1 gal and that stupid spout is one of those EPA mandated gimmicks that you have to twist-push-pull-stand on one leg- and sing mary had a little lamb to get the fuel out. As it turns out, the valve would not open and had no idea how that stupid thing worked. So My only option was what you see there and yes the tape had disintegrated, by the time I was removing it from the can.
    grewen and DaveF like this.

Hmm. I've used my Rotopax ten or so times and never had an issue. No leaks, no problems using it. I did read the directions and tried it the first time immediately after doing so. Since I haven't used it for over a year maybe I ought to read them again.....
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I will second that Nunya, mine was a one time use also as after using it once, it was for sale
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

When I bought my Rotopax, having read the reports on the "eco-spouts", I also ordered a regular Self-Venting Spout, " . . . ONLY SUPPLIED WITH WATER PACKS AND INTERNATIONALLY SHIPPED FUEL PACKS". They do say that it "WORKS AS A REPLACEMENT SPOUT TO THE GOVERNMENT REQUIRED ECO SPOUT FOUND ON ROTOPAX" but of course I would never do such a thing .
    Last edited by GHDave; 04-10-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    Darth and LuvNot like this.

EWB
    I just threw in the towel and returned my rotopax (unused) and went with the almost 3 gal clarke tank

Pan
    My local ACE hardware sold the old school replacement spout along with 2 different threaded caps. Last visit to Canada made a stop at Canadian Tire and picked up a normal gas can for a souvenir.

hi-flo-bag_1.jpg
    LuvNot and nunya like this.

The 1 gallon cans in Canada ( Canadian tire) are now the epa variety.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links