New Owner(s). Just brought home an 87.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: New Owner(s). Just brought home an 87.

New Owner(s). Just brought home an 87.

Hello from NC. My son and I just picked up an 87. He had been been wanting to learn how to ride. I always thought these bikes were cool but I had never owned or even ridden one. From what I read lurking around here, a TW seemed like the perfect bike for him to learn and for an old, out of practice dirtbiker like myself to enjoy as well.

We found this one a couple of hours away. Original owner had moved and left for his nephew. Only showing about 3500 miles if we can trust the odometer. Bike is complete, even got the original owners manual and the original title from whe he first bought it. It hadn' t been run (or washed) in at least a year. Drained the tank and added fresh gas with Seafoam. New spark plug, fuel line and a inline filter. Trickle charged the battery overnight. Did my best to clean the carb ( I know nothing about carbs) and Surprise! It started right up! Not running very well but good enough for us to feel like we did something and to ride around the block. Brakes seem decent, lights all work, and with a cleaning it should look pretty good too. We are excited and looking forward to learning about our new toy together.

Short list of what I think we need to start:
    - New screen on petcock in tank. Old one fell apart when I touched it.
    - Air filter
    - Oil & filter change
    - New battery ( old one wouln't take a charge and doesn't seem to fit batt box)
    - New tires. Think these are original and rear is cracked on the sidewall.
    - Clutch lever. End is broken off.
    - another carb cleaning/rebuild to get it running smooth. May need someone more knowledgeable for this. I might try myself again first and just ask a lot of questions here. That is how you learn, right?

I am sure there is a lot more. Any info/comments/suggestions are appreciated. I haven't done anything with bikes in years so other than the dealership I don't know where to begin looking for a lot of this stuff. I'm sure I will be posting up questions soon. In the meantime here is a pic.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TWilight, Hidebound, elime and 5 others like this.

Nice; and Welcome to the forum!!
    T-Dub Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

welcome.
    i'm surprised tommy didn't go off on how wonderful the '87 is... fastest Tdub don'cha know.

search on here, there's lots of info on maintenance, and lots of people willing to help.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    welcome.
    i'm surprised tommy didn't go off on how wonderful the '87 is... fastest Tdub don'cha know.

search on here, there's lots of info on maintenance, and lots of people willing to help.
    In order not to be so proud-full, I decided to refrain myself, once.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the TW!

It continues to amaze me how many 1987's are out there and seem to re-surface in such good shape.

Hey Littletommy, is yours a red one or a blue one?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the TW!

It continues to amaze me how many 1987's are out there and seem to re-surface in such good shape.

Hey Littletommy, is yours a red one or a blue one?
    It was a blue one with 1800 miles on it, paid 1600 for it; a dollar more than what they sold for in 87... Its black now.
    LuvNot and jtomelliott49 like this.

Welcome!

Absolutely replace those vintage tires before you ride it again - that's dangerous! When you go through the bike with a fine tooth comb, take a look at all the elastomers (lines, boots, grommets, etc) - rubber is the enemy of time, regardless of how well the bike was maintained.

Pro tip: the forum doesn't have a great search feature, but if you google your keywords plus "site:tw200forum.com" you will find everything under the sun. First stop: search for threads on tires.

There are a lot of smart and helpful folks on here who can help you out wherever needed.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Welcome -- I have two '87's and everything littletommy says about them is true!

You said "change the oil filter". If you do make sure you have the right one as in when you look at the end of the filter you see four (4) little holes. If those holes aren't there the camshaft doesn't get any oil.

The oil filter is a screen and can be cleaned and reused. You might want to go that route and save a couple of bucks.

Oil Filter 2.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Nice! Looks clean.
    Try finding the new carb they changed to and if you can adapt to a disk brake up front.

The drum brake on the back of my 2013 is so non-existant that I tend to over-brake on front and it about put me on the road on gravel on concrete last fall.
    Don't trust a drum brake up front but tell your son to learn on this bike slowly and do not ride it hard or fast, it cannot brake as a regular modern street bike
    can and never will even with a good disk up front.
    If he is never over 45mph on the street and will practice slowing down using the back brake while on gravel and non-concrete type streets he should be fine
    but he is riding an old school bike that is not going to give him maximum safety in stopping.

Other than that, ride safe, ride hard, have fun and enjoy this new creature as it is a wonder and should be well cared for.

If you change out that carb or anything else save all the old parts for future so it can go back pure stock. It will be worth more.

But, don't ever sell it!

Cheers and welcome.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much
    Smiles and laughs a lot
    Loves dogs and cats too

Thanks for the welcome and replies. Keep the suggestions coming. I have used the search feature some and try to do that before I post questions. The next thing I want to do is get the old oil out of there. Thought I saw on here where many use a quality 10w40. Is that correct? If that is a screen and not a filter than I will probably just clean it if it is good shape. I imagine I will need a gasket. I will also try to find a service manual before I get much further so I can look a lot of this up.

Is the local dealer the best source for gaskets/ air filterl/ petcock filter or is there anaftermarket source you guys prefer?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links