Whats wrong with 19 year old tires? Put new ones on today ! ! !
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Whats wrong with 19 year old tires? Put new ones on today ! ! !

Whats wrong with 19 year old tires? Put new ones on today ! ! !

I bought a 97' TW about two weeks ago with 3K original miles and not only were the tires original as we all expect, THEY were actually 2/3 worn down, I am guessing its because the bike never really was off road,
    Anyway, Man O man were they dry rotted and hard,
    Its been about 25 years since I did motorcycle tires myself,
    It all went smoothly aside from needing a bit oflube when inflating the front to get it so sit properly on the bead, Needed to air it up to 35 Psi. or a tad more,
    Took the time to clean and check brakes, Clean chain and guides and lube everything up.
    When I bought the bike, Guy gave me the new Bridgestone tires and fresh Japan tubes, So it was nice to have everything there to work with!
    Here are some pics.
    t1.jpgt3.jpgt2.jpg
    It was also nice to take the time and clean the wheels when off the cycle.
    < How many road miles does it take to break the tires in? >

Anyone in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh who wants to go do some trail riding?
    Peter B
    Byron and TWilight like this.

Just clean the tread where it touches the road. Any solvent, even gas. Or probably just soap & water. There is usually a film of protectant on new tires.
    If you just hope the road wear will scuff/clean the tread surfaces...it will. But you will never know how well they are cleaned or when or if the extreme edges are clean at all.
    Run through some un-seen moisture with side-treads still coated with slick-um and you will quickly be sliding backwards on your arse!
    Just pay attention to the new tires for 50 or so, gently working up the side-tread to scuff them a little.
    You may not plan to ever ride with a lot of lean angle, but you have to be prepared to swerve to miss the sand in the corner, or the old lady who hot-foots her walker right into your path!
    Now, that's all pavement.
    If you're blastin' head-long into the trails...fuggetaboutit!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Pred.....you installed new tires today.....and made the conscious choice to buy a Bridgestone OEM style tire for the Front ?

Really ?
    It came with the bike. Mine has only tried to kill me twice in nearly 5000 miles

Tom
    TWilight likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I won't recommend riding on old, hard, cracked tires but I will say I have done it and it all worked out fine.

Usually the hard rubber is only on the surface and once it wears down a little bit it is good rubber. And when I whittled away at the rubber around a serious looking crack I found the crack did not go all the way to cord. BTW, the tire was off the rim when I whittled away.
    TWilight likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Pred.....you installed new tires today.....and made the conscious choice to buy a Bridgestone OEM style tire for the Front ?

Really ?
    Ive been thinking about the Shinko 241s, BUT the NEW tires came with the bike when I bought it two weeks ago,
    New Bridgestones have to be better than 19 year old dry rotted tires, They gotta be,
    I may go Shinko this summer, But for now, I feel more comfortable taking it around town for the time being,
    Yes, Thinking now I may have been able to sell the new TW front for the same price as a Shinko,
    Oh well,
    Easy enough to change.
    Peter B

50 miles between the dirt and pavement will do the scuffing necessary. Just be cautious on pavement for now. When I bought my first 1991 TW a couple years back the tires were practically brand new but 20 years old with 600 camp ground miles on them. I replaced them and gave them to another member for ice studding. They would have been perfectly fine for off road use but on the pavement I felt them slip out a few times and got brown shorted from one of those slip outs.

GaryL
    elime and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Ive been thinking about the Shinko 241s, BUT the NEW tires came with the bike when I bought it two weeks ago,
    New Bridgestones have to be better than 19 year old dry rotted tires, They gotta be,
    I may go Shinko this summer, But for now, I feel more comfortable taking it around town for the time being,
    Yes, Thinking now I may have been able to sell the new TW front for the same price as a Shinko,
    Oh well,
    Easy enough to change.
    Peter B
    I've been riding since last June on the original tires on my 2015. The OEM tires will be just fine until the point you want to start riding aggressively (as determined by you). Last year at Moab I had the Shinko 244 tire on my 2005 TW. This year I used the OEM in Moab. I think the OEM front tire did great except maybe in the sand this year and made me feel uncomfortable. Did great on the rocks, gravel roads, and hard pack trails. One morning this year at Moab I rode my 2005 to breakfast on the trail between camps with the Shinko and didn't even think about it. Then I rode my 2015 with the OEM. I noticed it wanted to wash out quite a bit more than the Shinko.

So, when I was riding in sand, which was a lot, I wasn't as comfortable as last year. I'm gonna keep the OEM on until it wears out then I'll try the Shinko 241 everyone raves about. Of course, several years ago everyone raved about the 244 which is why I bought it and now they trash it! Ah, the opinion tides of tires!
    elime, Byron, littletommy and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Oh yeah, I just ordered tires, stock rear, 244 for the front, based on all the praise I read here, now I see all the posts on how much better the 241 is, oh well. Gotta be better than the 12 year old street biased tires on it when I bought it in January...
    Question: stock rear, Shinko 244 front, what would be a good air pressure to run if I commute to work on blacktop, then hit some logging roads or beat up fire roads on my way home in the afternoon ?? Thanks !
    admiral likes this.
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Oh yeah, I just ordered tires, stock rear, 244 for the front, based on all the praise I read here, now I see all the posts on how much better the 241 is, oh well. Gotta be better than the 12 year old street biased tires on it when I bought it in January...
    Question: stock rear, Shinko 244 front, what would be a good air pressure to run if I commute to work on blacktop, then hit some logging roads or beat up fire roads on my way home in the afternoon ?? Thanks !
    When I ride the combo commute route, I use about 15 psi. in both front & rear. Bear in mind you can still ride reasonably safe at normal tire pressure's if you just ride carefully. The ride will be a little bumpier at full tire pressure's but other than that, enjoy the commute!
    GaryL likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    I bought a 97' TW about two weeks ago with 3K original miles and not only were the tires original as we all expect, THEY were actually 2/3 worn down, I am guessing its because the bike never really was off road,
    Anyway, Man O man were they dry rotted and hard,
    Its been about 25 years since I did motorcycle tires myself,
    It all went smoothly aside from needing a bit oflube when inflating the front to get it so sit properly on the bead, Needed to air it up to 35 Psi. or a tad more,
    Took the time to clean and check brakes, Clean chain and guides and lube everything up.
    When I bought the bike, Guy gave me the new Bridgestone tires and fresh Japan tubes, So it was nice to have everything there to work with!
    Here are some pics.
    t1.jpgt3.jpgt2.jpg
    It was also nice to take the time and clean the wheels when off the cycle.
    < How many road miles does it take to break the tires in? >

Anyone in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh who wants to go do some trail riding?
    Peter B
    You could always come down to hancock md the weekend of may 1st, for the adventure ride. Lots of fun, and I cant think of a better way to break your tdub in. Look for the thread in the riding section.
    Dryden-Tdub and LuvNot like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links