where the hell do i find a good rear tire?!?!???
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: where the hell do i find a good rear tire?!?!???

where the hell do i find a good rear tire?!?!???

i dont want the stock one, i dont want a street tire, i want a good dual sport tire that can handle dirt good, last a while on the street, and not make me want to kill myself with aftermarket mods to suit that tire... any suggestions??

2013 tw200
    2006 yz250f 50th anniversary
    2015 viking
    2006 cr85
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

There isn't one.
    There is a thread on all the rear tires people have tried and mods required.
    I went with the Duro as it required a minimal amount of mods to do, but it is difficult to mount.
    I found a hot room and patience worked to get it seated along with trimming the bead and lots of Windex.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    There isn't one.
    There is a thread on all the rear tires people have tried and mods required.
    I went with the Duro as it required a minimal amount of mods to do, but it is difficult to mount.
    I found a hot room and patience worked to get it seated along with trimming the bead and lots of Windex.
    was it worth it in the end? was there a big improvement? so far i have found the stock tire good enough for me but i don't ride in the wet lands like you do
    ejfranz and TWilight like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    MotoMax, I truly believe that you will not find a better dual---purpose rear tire than the stock OEM Bridgestone that these bikes came with.

Not only do we have a limited selection.....but that OEM tire is THAT good. I just removed my Monster Sedona Buzz Saw 26/9-14 tire from my secondary rear wheel, and will be installing a Shinko 428 on that wheel, to use for the TW200 gathering we are having in Western Washington, as 83.141259 % of the roads we will be riding on, are paved roads.

That OEM Bridgestone is a great tire, will do fine...On road, or OFF road.
    hey Mike i am very interested in how the 428 will handle being off road. will you be doing any off road on your gathering. can you give us a report?
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOMAX on YOUTUBE View Post
    i want a good dual sport tire that can handle dirt good, last a while on the street, and not make me want to kill myself with aftermarket mods to suit that tire
    A spot-on description of the stock rear tire
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

"i want a good dual sport tire" -Alas, the TW comes with the only dual sport tire available so we all learn to love, or hate it depending on the circumstance at hand.

Personally I prefer my ATV tire for its advantages in sand, loose
    hill climbs, snow and mud. This is where I push the capabilities of the TW and myself more than on asphalt roads which are the other half of the dual sport equation.

Of note is how well the street/supermoto tires can work off-road. Maybe it is more the skill of the rider as much as the tread pattern because I know we have led bananachunks over hill and dale in some nasty off-road stuff on group rides and he keeps right up with the rest of us despite being on slicks. Must be all that practice dicing with traffic on the hills of San Francisco.
    George's tires do slide a bit on uphill sandy trails.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-18-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    JagLite, LuvNot, TWilight and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

This thread is living proof! You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time! For mud, snow, sand and real serious off roading I would go with a bastard ATV tire. Most BTW are not rated for legal road use! Since the TW was designed as a true Dual Purpose, On the road/Off the road bike and I ride it in both environments I have never had a complaint with the stock Bridgestone it comes with. It certainly will clog up quick in mud and snow but it does pretty good in sand and very good on the roads and trails I usually go on. Some pressure alterations can be beneficial off road but you might want to have the ability to air back up when you hit pavement. The front tire choices seem to be a much bigger topic of discussion and we all have our own favorites in that regard. Some here have extended their swing arms to add some more room for the bigger options and a few have blown up their Duros and other ATV tires while trying to get them seated so go forward at your own risk. I kind of appreciate that the stock rear can get the job done and even do some slipping in the tight spots given all the raw power our mighty TWs produce.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

i am in total agreement with the other guys that the stock rear is a fine tire. Dual sport tires are a compromise, you have to give up something to get something. If you want perfect road manners you will give up traction off road and the more traction off road the less road manners it will have. Its all a tradeoff and the stock TW 34 does a great job at balancing off road ability with on road manners. A tire that is 100% perfect in all situations is like a unicorn, good luck finding one. They last a good long time too, i had one that was 100% street ridden by the prior owner that still had plenty of tread left at 15000 miles. I have another one that had 6000 miles of mixed on and off road and its still got a ton of life left on it, almost looks new. To put that in perspective i have never gotten 6000 miles out of any tire on my Ducati that is 100% street, that bike i get 3000 or less.

The bottom line is the TW34 is fine like 80% of the time off road, unless you are in serious mud or snow its fine. Its also fine on the street and you can push it harder than any knobby should be allowed to be pushed. If you need mud traction a Duro is the way to go but remember its on road manners will be diminished a lot.
    ejfranz, Fred, JagLite and 2 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    was it worth it in the end? was there a big improvement? so far i have found the stock tire good enough for me but i don't ride in the wet lands like you do
    YES!!!!!
    The stock rear tire got me through 90% of what I try to ride.
    The Duro gets me through 98% of what I try to ride. ( I do have higher expectations with the Duro and will try stuff I would not consider with the stock tire)
    Is it legal, well it does not say for off road use only and I doubt I'll get pulled over for speeding.
    I have ridden black diamond trails at McNutt, which is considered extreme riding, with the stock tire. So I would say for most people the stock tire is just fine. I like to play with tire choices and have no regrets at this time getting the Duro.
    I will let you know after I ride the Loose Screw in Kamploops in August if I still like the Duro.
    grewen and JagLite like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I have a set of those tires that I purchased from a member here about a year ago. They are still wrapped in the plastic he shipped them in. I just can't bring myself to have them mounted.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links