I need to find gas
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: I need to find gas

I need to find gas

I'm trying to plan a trip from Port Clinton, OH to Pittsfield, NH.

The Tyre to Travel program that came with my TomTom picked a nice quick route that avoids the NY State Thruway. Only an hour plus in time and shorter in distance. Yee-ha!

No - this is not being ridden on a t-dub.

I would like to locate fuel stops based on range and a motel based on hours ridden. I have a bucket load of POI files giving me gas stations, eateries and motels along my route. Now comes the slow, cumbersome, clumsy back and forth between map and roadbook trying to find the best suited. Not fun!

I'm looking for suggestions for a better trip planner, or end arounds someone's found for Tyre; and I am will to spend money if need be. Only stipulation, needs to be compatible with a TomTom GPS. The boy and girls in Amsterdam aren't being too helpful on this.

Thanks
    Last edited by screaminbanshee; 04-19-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    "I don't want a pickle
    Just want to ride on my motorcycle
    " - Arlo Guthrie

Why not be a free spirit and make those decisions on the fly? It is only 700+ miles and 11 + hours via northern routes and it is not like it is empty remote country without frequent towns and services like the Gobi Dessert.
    I'ld simply plan on looking for fuel every 3/4ths of a tank and if I thought I couldn't do 11 hours in the saddle look for a motel when tired, or plan for one say 60% of the way, somewhere around Syracuse. Make an adventure out of it.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-19-2016 at 01:09 PM.
    1911garand, TWilight, GTG and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Not really trying to over think this one . . . But as with flying and mountain climbing knowing plan "B" options before hand is comforting; keeps your adventure from becoming an epic adventure! Really what I want to know is that point of no return. Buy gas here or you will run out before your next option.

Anyway, I'm not sure I-90 or I-86 falls into the category of scenic byways of North America. Things won't really turn enjoyable until Rt 9 in southern Vermont. Sad though that NH realigned Rt 9 for safety reasons. Use to ride the old Rt 9 on my bicycle quite a bit. That was a scenic ride!

More than likely this will turn into an in-a-moments-notice, grab my gear and go - running fast and running light kinda trip. So, okay, I'll do it your way.
    "I don't want a pickle
    Just want to ride on my motorcycle
    " - Arlo Guthrie

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like to use the Gas Buddy application for my smart phone. This allows me the flexibility of spontaneous travel and still feel confident I can find gas when needed. I used it extensively a couple of years ago when I went cross-country in the RV-bus. Very useful when I needed to find diesel every 100 miles.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I love the 9!! I was going to suggest this road

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Smart Phones....are for people that don't know how to build a fire, and make Smoke Signals
    Dude... you KNOW I drive a "short bus", RIGHT?
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    I like to use the Gas Buddy application for my smart phone. This allows me the flexibility of spontaneous travel and still feel confident I can find gas when needed. I used it extensively a couple of years ago when I went cross-country in the RV-bus. Very useful when I needed to find diesel every 100 miles.
    I hope that you get more than 100 miles per tankful (or that your bus has a very small tank!).

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I hope that you get more than 100 miles per tankful (or that your bus has a very small tank!).
    The bus gets 8 mpg and only has a 15-18 gallon tank - so, yes, very tiny tank for such a big bus. My theory is that since it used to be a prison bus, the tank was purposely kept small so if the bus is ever taken over by the prisoners, there was a very limited range they could reach if they continued to drive it.

The amount I can fit depends on the tilt of the cement pad at the pump. If it's tilted the wrong way, the shallow fill port backs up with fuel before the whole tank is full. Replacing the tank with a larger one is one of my wish list projects that may or may not be completed - just depends if I decide to keep the bus or not.
    TWilight, TW-Brian, Fred and 1 others like this.

Screemingbanshee stated he won't be piloting his TW so I rather doubt he will have either a 1.8g.TW or 2.7g. Clarke tank.
    I do understand his concern about a reasonable flight plan to avoid running out, that just makes sense. Sometimes not every whistle stop in farm country has fuel sales.
    Now out on my favorite HWY 50 in central Nevada the choices are real simple, only gas is at the only towns and they run about 90 miles apart from each other. Makes buying gas buying decisions real easy. Get it while you can!
    PlacerLode and TWilight like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

loving this thread, TWilight and Fred you guys are RED's (like myself) and will always just go for it and figure it out as we go but we are always ready to get rolling !

I suspect screaminbanshee is a BLUE personality type thus planning is not only essential for him it's fun!

we need another BLUE to chime in on a strategy here to help screaminbanshee

Home :: ColorCode Personality Science take the FREE personality test

btw I dunno Fred he might not be a RED but TWilight I know is RED

I love Nevada 50 & 93 where signs saying "next gas 116 miles" aren't kidding !
    TWilight and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links