Breaking in new boots
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Breaking in new boots

Breaking in new boots

In prep for riding more off-road this year, I went ahead and ordered a pair of Forma Adventure Boots. I also ordered a pair of A.R.C. Pro-Flex Knee/Shin Guards.

I know these boots are meant to be stiff to protect the foot, ankle and shin. But I also know after a while everyone says the break in beautifully and are very comfortable. But the pair I tried on were very difficult to flex at the ankle (up & down in a shifting or braking motion), and chaffed terribly at the top where the elastic gathers at the front. When I kneel, the plastic shift protector pushes into the top of my foot painfully.

How do you guys break in new boots? Do you just wear them around the house all day? Do you put pads at the top to help protect from the velcro stitching? I got fat calves, so I won't be able to tuck the knee guards into the shaft for protection - they'll have to stay on the outside.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    In prep for riding more off-road this year, I went ahead and ordered a pair of Forma Adventure Boots. I also ordered a pair of A.R.C. Pro-Flex Knee/Shin Guards.

I know these boots are meant to be stiff to protect the foot, ankle and shin. But I also know after a while everyone says the break in beautifully and are very comfortable. But the pair I tried on were very difficult to flex at the ankle (up & down in a shifting or braking motion), and chaffed terribly at the top where the elastic gathers at the front. When I kneel, the plastic shift protector pushes into the top of my foot painfully.

How do you guys break in new boots? Do you just wear them around the house all day? Do you put pads at the top to help protect from the velcro stitching? I got fat calves, so I won't be able to tuck the knee guards into the shaft for protection - they'll have to stay on the outside.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I will be wearing my new boots on the greenridge ride, we can break ours in together. I actually had a pair of gaerne that I had to put bubble wrap in because they were so stiff. But yea I think you need to just wear them to work for the next week or so. Maybe you can start a new trend.
    Last edited by saabbug; 04-19-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    LuvNot and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Take your TW to a spot like this...IMG_20141026_153934_476-1.jpg. ( TW stays on dry land) walk out about knee deep.... ride till dry... repeat.... afterwards a good boot oil ...
    ejfranz, dette and plumbstraight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

These are the short version. I had to send the tall ones back because they were too small. Another pair of tall are on the way. I want to give them one more try in the larger size before deciding whether to keep them, or just go with the short version.
    FormaAdventureBoots-Short.jpg

One thing that bugs the beejeezus out of me when it comes to clothing - and especially shoes - is the way the outside looks so great, is smooth and well finished, but the inside can be full of prickly velcro, bunched up seams, irritating collar tags, and scratchy thread ends. Like, I understand the exterior presentation is important, but come on already! Clothes (especially shoes) must be COMFORTABLE! Clothing should not rub raw spots on skin.

As you can guess, I do NOT believe in suffering for fashion.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I bought these AlpineStar Tech 3 and they broke in quickly.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-Tech-3-Boots-
    dette likes this.

I bought the Gaerne and they were comfortable from day 1 and I can walk in them all day.
    Yours sound like by motocross boots.
    TWilight, Rhodetrip and mhomadness like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

EWB
    Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    I bought the Gaerne and they were comfortable from day 1 and I can walk in them all day.
    Yours sound like by motocross boots.
    I love mine. I hiked all over moab in them with jeans they look like normal boots. Same experience breaking them in 5 min and they were good to go
    ejfranz, Rhodetrip and mhomadness like this.

I currently have two pair of motorcycle boots and I had no trouble breaking either pair in. For my off road riding, I, like TopPredator bought the AlpineStar Tech 3 which are not an expensive boot so I was worried I wouldn't like them. I actually ordered them on a close-out and got a fantastic deal about two years ago.

Day 1 - put them on and wore them in the house for about three or four hours. I almost had to wear them to bed because I had trouble opening the buckles. I actually had to get the old school can/bottle opener that is holding papers onto my fridge to pry/pop those buckles open.

Days 2, 3 & 4 - As dorky as I looked, I walked for 30 - 40 minutes around the neighborhood. I was surprised how good they felt.

I will admit, mine didn't have any issues on the inside, I have been very pleased. My two issues are the buckles which still break my fingernails and they are not waterproof...so I bought waterproof socks. Most of the time I wear my Costco Merino wool socks and am quite comfy.

My other boots are really nice, they are Gortex and have a zipper rather than buckles but don't have the stiffness because they are for road riding. I can feel a huge difference when I stand on the pegs for any length of time. I can stand all day in my Tech 3's because they don't flex. Shifting and braking did take some getting used to. In fact, I was never sure if I was actually applying the rear brake or not at first and the shifting had to be approached differently than I was used to also....kind of from the side, my entire leg/foot....a different motion than with my old boots.

I chose the AlpineStar boots over the Forma Adventure after reading the reviews. I believe the AlpineStar boots provide better ankle protection. I broke my ankle while wearing these Sedici boots and I no longer wear them.

I still like the stock pegs and they probably give better clearance for shifting. I remember Werlock complaining about shifting issues using wide pegs.

image.jpeg

Better ankle protection

image.jpeg
    ejfranz likes this.

Don't know if this will work with your new fangled plastic boots. Back in the day of real leather MX boots I'd put them on and step into two buckets of water. Get them soaking wet and walk around until they were dry. Broken in and formed to your foot.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links