Whats a good video camera basic set up ?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Whats a good video camera basic set up ?

Whats a good video camera basic set up ?

I would like purchase a basic camera set up for some trial and other outdoor adventures.
    I see basic Go-Pro packages on Ebay and they are about $250 with seemingly everything I would need to get going,
    BUT I am not too familiar with the camera set ups,
    Can anyone help me out making a wise choice in a set up to purchase?
    Heres the basic Ebay package so we have a reference point.
    New GoPro Hero Action Camera 32GB Ultimate Accessories Bundle Kit Set Package | eBay

Only issues with this kit is that I dont need light, Tripod and most of the accessories will gather dust,
    Is there a better way to get into recording some events?
    Thank you for your advice and help in this quest.
    Peter B

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    I would like purchase a basic camera set up for some trial and other outdoor adventures.
    I see basic Go-Pro packages on Ebay and they are about $250 with seemingly everything I would need to get going,
    New GoPro Hero Action Camera 32GB Ultimate Accessories Bundle Kit Set Package | eBay

Only issues with this kit is that I dont need light, Tripod and most of the accessories will gather dust,
    Peter B
    Yes there is. Purchase a GoPro Sessions camera. It is small, weighs virtually nothing and is waterproof out of the box without any need for additional cases. You will receive two mounting bases with the camera and that should cover most of your needs for getting started. We bought one for our son this past Christmas and since then he has had it skiing, mounted on his hockey helmet and under water in the swimming pool at our hotel. This past weekend we put it on a tripod and used it for filming his golf swing. Great images and audio without too many useless features. The battery life is decent on its own which is good because it is not field replaceable.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I use a wasp tact cam and really like it, 189.00 and does everything I need and hooks up to my phone and also has a small screen on it, for the money I think it is worth a look for you....and they have great support to I was having a problem hooking it via wifi to my phone and sent them a email and had a reply within 30min turned out it was my fault but the guy was very nice and helpful.
    Last edited by 66roadkill66; 04-20-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like the Tachyon "BikerCam" setup. It's a super simple camera, can take up to 7 hours of video while hooked into the bike's power (w/ a 64mb mini card), and the motorcycle accessory pack has mounting points for a handlebar as well as for a helmet and tripod. I took mine on my cross-country trip and got some great results. Was very sad when I lost it at Disney last year

I think the thing that makes the Tachyon great is it can also be added to your pistol or rifle for shooting events, tactical training, or even at a paintball game. It's just a very flexible setup.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    I like the Tachyon "BikerCam" setup. It's a super simple camera, can take up to 7 hours of video while hooked into the bike's power (w/ a 64mb mini card), and the motorcycle accessory pack has mounting points for a handlebar as well as for a helmet and tripod. I took mine on my cross-country trip and got some great results. Was very sad when I lost it at Disney last year

I think the thing that makes the Tachyon great is it can also be added to your pistol or rifle for shooting events, tactical training, or even at a paintball game. It's just a very flexible setup.

It is interesting,
    I looked at the web page and am wondering if it records sound as well,
    I may have to call them and ask as I would prefer sound.
    Thanks for the link !
    ldmccain and LuvNot like this.

Yes, it definitely records sound. Not amazing quality, but not garbled either.
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post

Peter B

Even though I have not personally used a GoPro, I think we have seen how good it is. If you have the money, I would get a GoPro.

Here are my experiences with different video cameras:

Current cameras I use is an ION and SJCAM:

ION. Very good picture with video stabilization but the sound is very sensitive. It's ok going slow on the trail, just not fast or in windy conditions. Mine does not have an external microphone. Get a model with an external microphone and place the microphone in your helmet out of the wind and you would be pleased.

SJCAM 1080. I got this for about $70. It's a Fake GoPro. The video is just ok. This camera does not have video stabilization and the picture is bouncy in trail conditions. Exposure is so so and the color is weird in certain conditions. The camera housing comes with a spare back door with slots in it for better sound. I haven't used it enough to see how well this works. In video's I have recorded so far I had the waterproof housing (back door) and it doesn't pick up the sound very well.

To see the difference between these two cameras go and see the video in my "Admirals version of Moab 2016", and watch the Metal Masher/Bull Canyon videos. The first couple are recorded with the SJCAM, and Bull Canyon is recorded with the ION.

I like the ION better but it's nice to have a backup camera.

Past cameras.

Tachyon. I had a different model than what LuvNot mentions. The Tachyon I had did not have video stabilization, the picture was poor when heading into the sun and blinked when going in and out of shadows quickly. Very hard to watch. My microphone was encased in the housing and was made for underwater use, thus, it did not pick up above water sound very well. Maybe the newer Tachyon cameras are better but not the one I used.

Contour. I used a friends contour with many videos in the past. I don't know if they make Contour anymore but the picture was good with decent stabilization. Sound was ok if on the trail but lots of wind noise and loud if used going down the highway. I'm not sure if they had external microphones.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

GTG
    That Tachyon seems like the way to go, no worry about batteries going flat, and the price is right. If I hadn't just got a Sony action cam bundle with AirMiles I'd be all over that one. Haven't used it yet, this thread actually inspired me to dig it out & mount it on the helmet. Nice that it connects to my phone & tablet wirelesly, I'm going for a ride next week, I'll see what the picture quality is.
    LuvNot and ejfranz like this.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

This thread inspired me to reorder the Tachyon. Hope it will be here for next weekend's ride. It will be great to compare video and sound quality.
    ejfranz and GTG like this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I have a go pro. Almost never use it.

Waiting for Sena to come out with the next generation of their 10c. It is a communications (Bluetooth) device with a camera. Mounts on helmet. Should be out next year.

Oh! Finally got a real helmet. Just got a Shoei Neotec. Love the modular. Pinlock, and the vents actually work really well. $560 to protect the two remaining brain cells.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links