She needs a battery
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: She needs a battery

She needs a battery

I planned on riding the TW to work this morning, starter button... Click, click, click, dead. I've had this 01 on a tender since I bought it in January, but didn't know the state of the battery, till now. Batteries Plus Bulbs has one for $45, there is a store in town, handy. any experience with them ? My bikes are garaged, always on a tender, and ridden all year long.

Still, not a bad morning, the Vstrom brought me in to the office, and my work will take me to the south end of the valley, through the orchards and vinyards, on what will be a warm sunny day, life sure is good.
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I planned on riding the TW to work this morning, starter button... Click, click, click, dead. I've had this 01 on a tender since I bought it in January, but didn't know the state of the battery, till now. Batteries Plus Bulbs has one for $45, there is a store in town, handy. any experience with them ? My bikes are garaged, always on a tender, and ridden all year long.

Still, not a bad morning, the Vstrom brought me in to the office, and my work will take me to the south end of the valley, through the orchards and vinyards, on what will be a warm sunny day, life sure is good.
    Before you decide what Battery, you may want to ensure your batteries electrolyte level is good in all the cells, providing you're using a OEM type wet cell battery. I've had a battery go dead on me like you and when I checked the electrolyte level I found all the cells were very low. I topped each cell with distilled water if you don't have the acid electrolyte on hand. Just don't add tap water. Then charge. Of course if the battery is too far gone they you have to go the new battery route.

Generic comment follows...Lots of us here on the forum use all kinds of batteries and the opinions and prices vary. For a wet cell battery the choice you posted is in the ballpark price wise. No experience with this vender.
    littletommy and Byron like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Kick start install time! I've been going to Lithium batteries on my bikes when the lead acid batteries die. Haven't had them long enough to make an opinion yet. About 12 months on the 4 wheeler, so far so good.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Whatever you end up with, go with a maintenance free battery, I wish I did the last time.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    You just add water if the electrolyte level is low, not more battery acid.
    And at the least, get an AGM battery. Most motorcycle batteries are this type because if you dump the bike,you don't spill any acid out of the battery.
    Also, for the umpteenth time, make sure you fully charge it before first use otherwise it will die an early death and you will be back at the store getting a new one.
    I got a small AGM recommended on here (? eBay or Amazon) for ~$30 6-8 months ago and it works great. Do a search.
    Last edited by mrlmd; 04-28-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    not more battery acid.
    If one has extra battery acid as I did after filling the cells from a new bought battery, why can't you reuse the acid?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

When you see your battery acid level begin to drop, you may wonder when and if it is appropriate to add acid, or just water.
    It is recommended that unless a battery was tipped over and all the acid spilled out, that you add only distilled water. Think of it like this: If you were to fill a pot up with salt water, and put it on your stove to boil, what happens? All the water will boil off, and you will be left with only salt. To re-create the original salt water mixture, you simply add straight water, because all the original salt is still in the pan, waiting to be re-suspended in the water. Batteries are the same way. All the chemical needed to make sulfuric acid is still in the battery, it is just the water that is gone. If you add more acid, you will be changing the chemical makeup of the battery which can lead to an incorrect sulfuric content.
    Last edited by littletommy; 04-28-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling error
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

And keep her on a Battery Tender Jr. when she's not running.
    You'll be amazed at how long the battery will last!
    admiral and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

And you can't overcharge her with Battery Tenders, regular or "Junior'.
    No downside at all.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Should have mentioned, at my initial check when I brought 'er home, 3 cells were low, I added distilled water then. All cells are at good level today, so it seems a new battery is needed, just have to decide which one.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links