Petition Against Oregon Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By admiral

Thread: Petition Against Oregon Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument

Petition Against Oregon Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument

With the permission of the Moderator's I'm posting this in both floors of the Forum, the General and Off-Topic.

For those of us who have been riding for many years in public off-road trails and public lands, we have continually seen and experienced many closures
    of these previously available riding areas. We in the western states have seen this increasing in recent years. Environmentalists are now targeting Owyhee
    River Canyonlands of Eastern Oregon bordering Southwest Idaho for designation as a National Monument. In my experience, when an area has been designated a National Monument, most of the riding trails and roads become closed to motorized vehicles. I say most, as some trails and roads do remain open. While I personally think there are good compromises which could be worked out with all the different groups participating, typically this is not the case and proposals like this are initiated and decided without the actual users having a say in the matter (sportsmen, off-road enthusiasts, ranchers, various other recreationalists, and yes even some conservation groups).

With this said, I'm offering the information below for your consideration to oppose a National Monument designation. For those of you who know me, I have
    camped & ridden a lot in this area and there is a strong possibility it could become off-limits in the future if the area was designated a National Monument Status.
    I have signed the petition opposing this area a National Monument.

The Owyhee Basin Stewardship Coalition (OBSC) is officially organizing support opposing a proposed National Monument the Owyhee Canyonlands a National Monument, primarily in Malheur County Oregon. Environmental groups hope to persuade President Barack Obama to declare 2.5 million acres of federal land as the Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument before he leaves office in 2017. This proposal, introduced by special interest groups and extreme environmentalists, would lock up 2.5 million acres of land and do the following (see links below) to our local communities, region, and the Canyonlands themselves.

Our Land. Our Voice. | Sign the Petition

Here are a couple of articles for more background information.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/10/owyhee_canyonlands_focus_of_fu.html

https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-ron-wyden-jeff-merkley-oppose-the-misguided-owyhee-canyonlands-monument-proposal
    Last edited by admiral; 05-06-2016 at 07:22 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links