I got one!!!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: I got one!!!!

I got one!!!!

Picked up a 2000 tw today. 9000 miles. Maybe paid too much,but what the heck.
    Anyway, It has Cycleracks front and rear and it shows some wear for sure but is not trashed.
    Has new sprockets and chain. New swingarm bushings. Seems to run well. A little cold blooded.
    It needs a battery and the turn signals do not flash.They come on but no flash.
    Maybe fresh battery will fix that. Or just a flasher relay. I hope.
    It has the "death wing" on the front.
    I plan on using the Adventure Ready thread as a template for adding goodies.
    I can't afford to fix it up the way I want all at once so will be adding stuff over the next couple months.
    Here in the Palouse there are miles and miles of gravel roads and just east miles and miles of forest roads.
    Let alone the trails. And after harvest the pea fields are amazing with the rolling hills.
    I will drive it around town but little hyway miles for me.
    First thing to do is buy a helmet. Second, sounds like the front tire has to go.
    Seems like the Shinko 241 or 244 in 4.60 or 5.10. is popular.
    Any thoughts on which one would be best on loose gravel roads?
    Besides the usual things to check, chain, brakes, cables, ect. what should I look for?
    I may take it to the local shop for a service just to have a real tech look it over adjust valves and the like.
    Although I do have good mechanical skills and tools.
    Oh and thank you very much to all the posters who I have gleaned a good deal of info from.
    I have been wanting a TW for years and looking hard for 6 months or so.
    Passed up on a couple and was ready to buy new when this one showed up.
    I like that it is not new so I don't feel bad painting it and such.

Thanks again and see ya on the trail
    PalouseTW200

Awesome..
    littletommy likes this.

Congratulations on the purchase. Enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine and you wont care about paying a bit too much.

Tom
    littletommy and scotti158 like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    When you coming to NY to help me with my bikes?

You could bring, oh.... I don't know... Maybe a BW350 for me?

LOL!

Hey Palousse!

Please get more than just a helmet. Gloves, a jacket and good boots are a minimum. All of us old guys have aches and pains from not wearing the proper gear years ago. It was not "cool" then.
    I am so glad that proper gear is "accepted" nowadays.

Please wear your gear. ALL the time.

I never used to wear a jacket. Always thought it was too hot. A friend came over to my house before I was leaving on a 500 mile run with a brand new black Harley Mesh Jacket. Made me promise to wear it at least halfway to my destination. I kept my word and found that I was cooler with the jacket on than in a tshirt.
    Imagine a 45 year old guy being shamed into wearing gear by his 30 year old friend.
    Have worn full gear for any ride longer than around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    PalouseTW, you bring that T-dub over to Plumbstraight's house this coming weekend, in Montesano, WA. , and "I" will install that new Shinko 241 Trials tire for you, and...any other parts you drag along with you.

FREE camping at his house, so........come West young man.

You bring that bike over here, and I will take the time to show you everything you ever wanted to know about your bike...adjust the valves for you (I have new o'rings for the valve covers), and do any other maintenance that needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by palousetw200 View Post
    .....Second, sounds like the front tire has to go.
    Seems like the Shinko 241 or 244 in 4.60 or 5.10. is popular.
    Any thoughts on which one would be best on loose gravel roads?......
    PalouseTW200
    Well, I can answer that one: I had a Kenda 270, which is very similar to the Shinko 244, for 8,000 miles. It was great in loose dirt, but I recently put a Shinko 241 4.00/18 on and noticed a distinct improvement both on pavement and loose gravel roads over the Kenda, without any loss of traction in loose dirt. Just looking at the tread pattern and the profile indicates that. It apparently has a softer rubber compound, being a trials tire, so it may not last 8,000 miles, but the Kenda had gotten a bit of differential lug wear by then which made it howl on pavement and feel a bit wonky. It still had at least 1/2 tread left, but I didn't like it the way it felt. The 241 immediately felt more stable on loose gravel, allowing more aggressive leaning without the feeling of tucking or washing out. I can recommend the 241 for all but the nastiest mud and loose dirt/sand conditions. The difference between 6,000 miles and 8,000 miles amounts to about $15.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Wow Twilight that is an offer I find hard to turn down. I am not sure I can though.I have to figure out if it will go on my hitch carrier. I do not have a cycle permit. Or the tire yet. It is a 7 ish hour drive. I have pretty much blown my budget for now. It needs tabs. But I could just not ride on street might find a tire and just put all on credit card.Take friday off. Might get a wild hair and go for it. I will see if I can get my act together.
    Thanks again
    TWilight, Dryden-Tdub and dette like this.

Smitty Yes I am looking at gear and at 58 with many crashes back in the day. I am pretty nervous about dumping a bike. Not gonna by full MX gear but boots gloves jacket helmet are a must. People ride without helmets here in Idaho and it freaks me out to see it.

Rocky, Yep sounds like 241 for me. Now what size?
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Get some handgaurds when you order the front to tire. There is nothing worse than having a clutch or brake lever break miles away from home. I love the Palouse, my wife looked at Washington State and one of my best friends went to Idaho State, so I got to spend some time out that way before we settled in Oregon for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by palousetw200 View Post
    Thanks again and see ya on the trail
    PalouseTW200
    Couple weeks ago we were up in your neck of the woods for some University visiting. It was pretty crowded for breakfast at that German kind of place in Pullman. Ton's & ton's of college students. Over the next several years we may have an opportunity to ride up there from time to time. We did see 1 TW rider in Lewiston.

Have a great time riding your TW up there. I lived in Lewiston for 4 years but it was just before my TW time. Boy do I wish I would've had my TW when I lived up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat twinges View Post
    Get some handgaurds when you order the front to tire. There is nothing worse than having a clutch or brake lever break miles away from home. I love the Palouse, my wife looked at Washington State and one of my best friends went to Idaho State, so I got to spend some time out that way before we settled in Oregon for 10 years.
    Minor correction since our last daughter will be attending the University of Idaho in Moscow next fall. Idaho State is in Pocatello in southeast Idaho. At least you knew of the Palouse, most people outside of Idaho either; a: never heard of Idaho (failed geography in school), or b: call it Iowa (again failed geography in school).
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links