General Questions on utility
Close

flw
    I already have another bike and am looking for a second bike for city/country/cargo with high mileage. I've ridden the TM200 for test rides and do like it.

I have several quesitons that only owners can really answer so I hope you will help me. I still have alot of reading to do here but you all can help me out.

1. Are there certain production years that had quality problems? What where they years and problems?

2. What parts are not interchangeable between all years of the bikes producion?

3. When they bike starts showing its age, other than normal items that need to be replaced, what tends to go first. second, third etc... i.e clutch/trans gears, gaskets...

4. Are there several suppliers of front and rear luggage racks? Who are they and cost?

5. What to look for when buying a well used TM200?

6. Is the engine cold blooded or after a min. the bike runs great after being started cold?

Thank you all for your time, some questions only a owner can answer.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

1. Are there certain production years that had quality problems? What where they years and problems?

Just try buy a bike from 2002 up but any TW better than no TW.

92% of all parts interchangeable - Again try buy a bike from 2002 up.

3. When they bike starts showing its age, other than normal items that need to be replaced, what tends to go first. second, third etc... i.e clutch/trans gears, gaskets...

Chain & Sprockets, rear exhaust, tyres, owner - in that order - ie they generally tough as nails bikes

4. Are there several suppliers of front and rear luggage racks? Who are they and cost?

New invention called the interweb or sumfing like that, type in TW200, luggage racks, COUNTRY and TOWN and it should tell you. Otherwise I suggest you try Bubba's cycle rack store, left of the big bush behind the volcano, cost is 3 goats - obviously you live in Afrika next to me

I have no idea, I have never bought a TM200! But when I buy a TW200 I like to look at the guys wife, if she seems well cared for chances are bikes good too!

6. Is the engine cold blooded or after a min. the bike runs great after being started cold?

Tw is no snake bike! TW is TIGER WINNER bike!

Happy Hunting!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Howdy flw.

Firstly, we recommend that you acquaint yourself with the search feature on this forum - you will find all kinds of goodies if you look.

With regards to:

Quote Originally Posted by flw View Post
    The bike is carbureted lean. Most lean bikes like to warm up before they run optimally. That said, my TW is not nearly as cold blooded as my TTR. TW starts easily and idles great.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Regardless to all of that, the TW is perhaps the best "utility" bike there is. I think Grant is recommending 2002 and up because they have a disk front brake (that actually started in 2001). The drum brake prior to that was, well, a drum brake, but the bike was the same, aside from that, so I wouldn't shy away from an older bike if it's in good condition. As far as I know, the '87 model is the only one that you might be somewhat leary of because it had a one-off electrical system that is supposedly waning in availability. You've probably learned all of this from lizrdbrth's link, but I just wanted to rant a little. Good luck.

One more thing, the 2006-2008 models come with a leaking base gasket. It's an easy fix by replacing the gasket with one from a 2010 model, as long as you're willing to dig into the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by flw View Post
    I already have another bike and am looking for a second bike for city/country/cargo with high mileage. I've ridden the TM200 for test rides and do like it.

I have several quesitons that only owners can really answer so I hope you will help me. I still have alot of reading to do here but you all can help me out.

Thank you all for your time, some questions only a owner can answer.

These are excellent questions (maybe even stick this thread? dunno...); I like your style. I assume you are asking about the TW 200 (not TM). Hope this helps.

1.) 2006 seems to be a really common year for the base gasket leak problem (usually comes on around 3k miles), although plenty of other model-years have this issue too (my 07 leaked). I'm 95% sure Yamaha fixed this problem by utilizing a metal-type gasket in the 2010+ TW's. Someone with a new model can probably confirm this by having a look... Other than that I don't know of any model-year-specific problems.

2.) They changed a few parts over the years. If I'm not mistaken, most of the updates were done in about 2000 or 2001. The different parts: CDI box, went from front drum brake to front disc brake, went from manual cam chain tensioner to automatic cam chain tensioner, turn signals are slightly different (possibly only cosmetic differences), instrument cluster and certain handlebar controls have changed some. And maybe a couple things I'm forgetting or don't know about. But the bike has changed very little considering it's been in production since (1987?).

3.) The oil leak problem, clutch slippage (clutch is weak and the clutch spring on the crankcase end is frequently not attached correctly from the factory - this is a QC problem, check yours if you get a TW), valve trains...

4.) I think Yamaha makes one, and there's one other I believe? But the www.cycleracks.com version is VASTLY superior. I've had it for more than two years and it is very strong and durable and also very well mounted and can hold a lot of weight, and will even stand up to a nasty crash or three. It will also help to protect your turn signals when you drop the bike/crash. I wouldn't recommend a front luggage rack although you can get one, because it can mess with stability and handling.

5.) The base gasket leak, any other oil leaks (they are quite common on the TW), clutch slippage particularly when the engine is cold (make sure the engine is cold when you go to test ride it), and of course everything you'd look for on any other bike.

6.) I would say the TW is warm-blooded, if anything. You can start it without any issue when it's about 60-65 degrees. Even in 45 degree weather, you only need half choke for like 20 seconds. Of course you still want to go easy on it for a few minutes til it warms up completely.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I probably just wasted my time because this info is elsewhere on this site? But no matter, TMI never hurt, right lol?
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Sponosred Links