helmets
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: helmets

helmets

looking to buy a new helmet for my wife and I. looking at the full face dual sport or the half helmet. I am mostly going to ride dirt roads and trails. very little pavement. I kinda like the half helmet. please give me your opinion. Thanks Allen

About 22 years ago I had been riding all day. I did not wear helmet all day. Well I was cutting across a stretch of road to get to my Grandmother's house. I knew that I was going to ride across my Aunt's farm and I did not want to get caught by her or Grandma so I had put my Brain bucket on. I took a corner too fast, dumped the bike at 45 mphish. Some how I got flipped over, as my face slammed several times into the hardball my fore arms were shredded. I had been wearing a carhart vest which protected my torso. I had to finish riding home, but I was able to because my face and head were not turned into mush. It may not be as comfy as a half helmet, but I will ALWAYS use a full face helmet. Ride safe.

PS- Tree roots and rocks are just as damaging to your grape as any chunk of pavement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

They don't call it "face planting" for nothing - get a full face .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

If you get pitched forward or hi side there's a good chance you'll land face down. The force involved makes it virtually impossible to keep your head from hitting the ground. I started off-road riding before full face helmets were introduced. Broke my nose three different times wearing 3/4 helmets. Twice with acrilic face shield and once with goggles. Had no control in trying to keep my head from hard contact with the ground.

A full face dual sport helmet would be a good idea. They also protect against small rocks and bugs.
    Last edited by Beeline; 05-10-2016 at 11:35 AM.

I'm a flip up modular guy, best of both worlds. Buy the best you can afford.

Aside from all of the safety features a full face helmet provides as indicated by the testimony of those above, another good "possible" safety feature of the full face helmet is other drivers can't read your lips. With a full face helmet you can tell the idiot driver who just pulled out in front of you to "eff off" with relative safety of reprisal from other drivers. Additionally, I've found it very helpful that other drivers can't read my lips because on occasion, my dissatisfaction with their driving can lead to other fouled mouthed words to "blurp" out. If another driver can read your lips or hear you, this could cause road rage and you as a motorcyclist could end up in a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Aside from all of the safety features a full face helmet provides as indicated by the testimony of those above, another good "possible" safety feature of the full face helmet is other drivers can't read your lips. With a full face helmet you can tell the idiot driver who just pulled out in front of you to "eff off" with relative safety of reprisal from other drivers. Additionally, I've found it very helpful that other drivers can't read my lips because on occasion, my dissatisfaction with their driving can lead to other fouled mouthed words to "blurp" out. If another driver can read your lips or hear you, this could cause road rage and you as a motorcyclist could end up in a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch.

Yes Admiral you are correct. They can not read the lips, but they always seem to understand the upward direction that I am indicating with my middle finger... not sure why.
    admiral, grewen, TWilight and 3 others like this.

I bought a Fly Treker. Light with a flip down face shield for street riding but there is lots of wind noise at highway speeds. You can often find them on sale at Bike Bandit.
    littletommy and saabbug like this.

akalogan,.......are you 3 hours south of LT on the t dub, or in a car, or in a plane??
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links