Back together at last!
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Back together at last!

  1. #1
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880

    Back together at last!

    It seems like forever but it's back together...
    New valves
    New front sprocket - was in there anyway
    Rebuilt and tuned carb w/custom mixture screw
    Kickstarter kit

    Under two weeks in spare time.

    To do: Loose death-wing front tire
    Put on o-ring chain and new rear sprocket

    Alot of people offered guidance, not that I'm an amateur but everyone needs good advice and I definitely got it here.. Thanks guys!
    not bad for an old guy in a several few days

    Some pics:
    image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

  2. #2
    Senior Member pred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia and Pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    545
    Yay !
    What was reason for breakdown?
    And will you install a Kicker on mine?
    Peter B
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ebbanflood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,421
    Looks awesome, I hope to see you in the pine barrens one day. Not so fast on getting rid of that front tire. I live at the beach and ride my TW mostly in the sand, that tire might suck in a lot of other surfaces but it is a good sand tire. If you will be riding on the road or in the mud then that tire has to go. If you will mostly be riding those sandy trails in the pines, then leave it on, you will be fine.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    Looks awesome, I hope to see you in the pine barrens one day. Not so fast on getting rid of that front tire. I live at the beach and ride my TW mostly in the sand, that tire might suck in a lot of other surfaces but it is a good sand tire. If you will be riding on the road or in the mud then that tire has to go. If you will mostly be riding those sandy trails in the pines, then leave it on, you will be fine.
    Thanks! What air pressure do you run in the front? I don't care for it in the sand but it could be the pressure.. I'm willing to keep at it. It's the deep sand I have an issue with but it could be I'm not the rider I was in my younger days. My mule doesn't have the goose my CR480 had back in the day, sit back and twist the throttle and you were out of it.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Yay !
    What was reason for breakdown?
    And will you install a Kicker on mine?
    Peter B
    I think the factory intake valve was defective. Poor hardening...
    as far as the Kickstarter you can do it in 20 minutes less the gasket cleaning (unless LT's trick works)...
    Ill be glad to help you through it, buy the parts.. Give me a call I'll talk you through it. It's very easy.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Ebbanflood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,421
    You had me at CR 480!

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Thanks! What air pressure do you run in the front? I don't care for it in the sand but it could be the pressure.. I'm willing to keep at it. It's the deep sand I have an issue with but it could be I'm not the rider I was in my younger days. My mule doesn't have the goose my CR480 had back in the day, sit back and twist the throttle and you were out of it.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Ebbanflood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,421
    Pm me when you are riding in the pines. Fridays or Sat, Sun early are best for me to ride. I will bring the TW but if you really miss the CR480 I will bring the KTM 450.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    You had me at CR 480!
    WOW that was a bike! 4 gears of WOW. I used to race open class with it. It was also the bike that caused me to need a complete knee reconstruction and ended my racing and surfing days.

    I had a practice track and I would tear it up 3 times a week trying to improve, one Weekend I was practicing, went home for lunch, came back refreshed and was hitting hard into a corner and would'nt you know it some AH dumped a load of roofing right in the berm. I wound up laying up against a tree until some kid about 13 walking down the trail saw me, pulled the bike off my leg and helped me get home. That was a long time ago and a life changing experiance. I'm 50 now and got over it but if I see someone dumping in the woods watch the f out! I go taz on them
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    Pm me when you are riding in the pines. Fridays or Sat, Sun early are best for me to ride. I will bring the TW but if you really miss the CR480 I will bring the KTM 450.
    Thanks.. I'll keep that in mind!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,283
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    I think the factory intake valve was defective. Poor hardening...
    as far as the Kickstarter you can do it in 20 minutes less the gasket cleaning (unless LT's trick works)...
    Ill be glad to help you through it, buy the parts.. Give me a call I'll talk you through it. It's very easy.
    Lots of guys have good tricks; not saying that mine is the best; that one has just worked for me pretty well on a lot of applications for several decades now.

    Trick is; get that cover as clean as you can without hurting it; then you almost only use the amount of sealer that would be left after you wiped your finger on your pants and what was left; just a little sticky somethin... then put your gasket on it. Nothing on the other side and if done right, it will come off whole every time, for a long time.

    It is important to tighten it down slowly and correctly staggering your way around the cover as you tighten it in the proper sequence several times until it is finally correct according to the torque wrench. A little at a time goes a long way. Never just start at one place and go around the clock so to say...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I'm Back!!!
    By Xracer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 05:33 AM
  2. Back up her backside! The back way! Now with GoPro time-lapse pics.
    By DonBenito in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 10:23 PM
  3. I'm back!
    By Bucknutz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  4. I'm Back!
    By nz6e in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM
  5. Back on a TW again
    By ericj in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM